Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jonfez
Top Cat
Top Cat

Mauger to stay at WR?

Post by jonfez »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 222562.stm

Early discussions about extending his contract. I for one hope he does stay.
Support the Matt Hampson Trust

www.matthampson.co.uk
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Mauger to stay at WR?

Post by Darc Tiger »

Please stay! :smt001
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

I would say that he will look to stay for few more years, i get this feeling as when you look at the All Blacks squad and fringe players i really dont see G.Henry picking Mauger as a first or even second choice 12 with the guys he likes to use as it stands i think it would be Nonu and Smith with Macalister as a 10,12,13 cover with a few younger guys pushing.

Even as much of a class act he is i dont see him in G.Henrys pecking order for the next world cup.
TnA

Post by TnA »

Great news. Get the man a pen and a contract!
Forwards win rugby matches.
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

STAY, PLEASE STAY!!!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I've got a pen he can borrow!

:smt023
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Anyone got any ideas about his long-term fitness? Tigers seem to have the Inside Centre berth well-covered this season. I sincerely hope that we can keep him as I am a huge fan of him and his style of play but I have niggling doubts about his abilities to come back from his back injury and stay fit long term.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
sunbeamer

Post by sunbeamer »

I understand his back problems have not gone away, sorry to say
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Maugers back is mentioned on the Merc web site, and it doesnt sound good news unless he came off with a twing.
Jimjim also not looking good in the contract talks, besides having a trial has he played any significant role in the pre-season friendlies?
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

With his past injury record we must be crackers to be even consider offering him a contract extension , particularly with the huge Salary involved . He has been a peripheral figure at best ,and although a skillful and talented player , has not had the star impact that we perhaps could have expected .Money would be better spent elsewhere .
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

mike wrote:He has been a peripheral figure at best ,and although a skillful and talented player , has not had the star impact that we perhaps could have expected .Money would be better spent elsewhere .
I felt Mauger was starting to pull his weight in the second half of last season. His leadership was beginning to come to the fore and he was showing more facets to his game (kicking out of hand, lines of running, distribution skills). Then came the back problems and we missed him at the sharp end of the season............

It's a tough call whether to offer him any more than a short extension while these injury concerns persist.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Are you kidding. Mauger was underrated in his first season as everyone expected fireworks, when he is really the kind of player who makes things work and makes others look good.

And he (and Dupuy) carried the entire backline last season through a very difficult period for us, particularly in the backs.

And what time he has had off, he has been an invaluable influence behind the scenes and to the younger guys.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I really do not think it would be wise to offer Mauger a renewal of his contract.

It is obvious that he has this persistant back injury and Tigers are a couple of days away from the new season and still it looks as if Mauger won't be playing because he is still injured. IMO if he hasn't recovered during the off season then it looks as if he will have trouble with his back permanently. I would therefore only give him a pay as you play deal or if they want to keep Mauger long term then offer him a deal as a coach.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

MAUGER OUT - Injured

Post by smalldell »

Mauger is injured and with other injuries it means we are very short in the backs.

If we are trying to secure Mauger's signiture for the coming yrs then we need to make sure he can play, and the way things are going that looks very unlikely.

On the up side Georden Murphy is fit and will play.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Re: MAUGER OUT

Post by Bill W »

The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007