Has professionalism cost rugby 'a piece of it's soul'?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: Has professionalism cost rugby 'a piece of it's soul'?

Post by Kinoulton »

Bill W wrote:
My guess is we will indeed see him as a DoR. Perhaps most likely in France.
Then he would be a DdR. Directeur de Rugby.

Or am I being a pédant?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I suppose it might merely be RD - Rugby Directeur, or even DR - Directeur Rugby. The latter would have a certain juctaposition while the latter reflects symmetrical properties.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

In today's culture, getting caught carries little stigma - see how we're all wondering where DR will go next! ASBOs are a badge of achievement for some, a driving ban "one of those things".

At the same time, we have a blame culture that points the finger, but doesn't try to resolve the problem, and yes, Bill, that's the boty in charge again.
Valhalla I am coming!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I see where you are coming from fleabane but I think that Dean Richards has been very much stigmatized! I think the anger this has caused shows that people are not willing to accept it as just gamesmanship.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Bill W wrote:There is still some water to travel under some bridges.

Appeals hearing is on Monday.

My guess is we will indeed see him as a DoR. Perhaps most likely in France - although I could see Wilkinshaw being interested.
Although one should note that Richards' previous French adventure ended in disaster. I wonder if that experience will have any bearing on where he might go.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I am sure it will influence things daily although he did seem to learn from the experience.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

POSTIGER wrote:I see where you are coming from fleabane but I think that Dean Richards has been very much stigmatized! I think the anger this has caused shows that people are not willing to accept it as just gamesmanship.
I do not think Deano has been stigmatized at all. Put his hand up and said "I did not admit that I knew but I admit I shuld have known - I offer my resignation."

If ERC now ban him from "all contact with the game" for anything more than 3 months they will look total plonkers, having previously found him "not guilty"! He will become a hero overnight. Similarly if they fail to reduce William's sentence to under 6 months they will look total plonkers. Ban Hairy Queens from next years Cup and let Insects in - total and complete plonkers. Increase the fine? Stupid.

The people who have brought the game into very serious disrepute are ERC.

Three month ban on Richards, the Doctor, the Physio and Williams, all backdated should have been the inital judgement. Thank you and good morning.

Even now Hairy Quins are taking a silly approach by not appealing the fine. The fine was clearly in lieu of sentences on Ricahrds the Doc and the Physio.

Legal nightmare. Best chance ERC have is to declare a de novo hearing. Then go back to penipenultimate paragraph

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Spot on Bill! (Bet it doesn't happen 'though!)
Valhalla I am coming!
The Tigress

Post by The Tigress »

Its a sad day when rugby players adopt the kind of tactics we are now used to seeing from 'roundy ball' players. The over acting now commonly seen on the football field is worthy of an Oscar.
In the same vein, the 'sledging' now heard at cricket matches is all symptomatic of the way sport is going. I don't think its just professionalism it seems to be a cultural thing rooted more in society than in finance.
Sadly my own sons see sledging at cricket as "gamesmanship". Apparently its part of "the modern game Mum". Well I'm going to stay a dinosaur then! :smt011 :smt018
Smile-its contagious ;)
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Yes we must ALWAYS blame football.

Pretending to have a blood injury is something that's been in football.....

Well. Never.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

The prblems with blood injuries like the problems with feigned prop injuries lie squarely with the law makers.

Fail to provide a front row - fine, play with 14 men.

Need to take a player of temporarily for blood repairs - fine, play with 14 men.

If blood repairs are deemed not feasible after 10 minutes by the doctor then a replacement may be brought on.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
The Tigress

Post by The Tigress »

Kinoulton wrote:Yes we must ALWAYS blame football.

Well. Never.

Well, well Kinoulton. I haven't posted on here since May and your usual sarcastic, ascerbic comments have just reminded me why I stopped. :smt019
Smile-its contagious ;)
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I think you may have upset The Tigress, Kinny.

Which is a shame because she did make a fair point regarding sledging etc. and it being cultural rather than from financial cnsiderations. Albeit your riposte regarding there being no blod injuries in soccer was valid.

To a fair degree I blame the media.

Dubtless this thread will shortly be edited.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
BrumJim2

Post by BrumJim2 »

Kinoulton wrote:Yes we must ALWAYS blame football.

Well. Never.
What about The Roberto Rojas Scandal?
http://en.allexperts.com/e/c/ch/chile_n ... l_team.htm
"And I've been supporting them every year since 1978."
"So you are a fair weather fan, then."
"Yes, I suppose!"
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

That particular incident was scandalous. But it didn't involve blood.

It is a fact that some footballers try to cheat. It's awful.

I just find it unfair that every time rugby has a problem, it is assumed that it is a football problem which has somehow mutated into a rugby problem.

It just is not the case.

The blood injury loophole, the uncontested scrums loophole, and if you like, the booing of kickers debate, is entirely of rugby's own making.

It's only a matter of time before someone blames football for crooked feeding of the scrum.