Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dubal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Dean's Gone!

Post by dubal »

Stu_F wrote:
Bill W wrote:
Stu_F wrote:I hear that the ERC itself is appealing against the level of the penalty against Quins themselves, listening to the comments made by Wasps last week I wonder whether there is a concern that Quins may get booted out of the Heineken unless they are seen to take action themselves.

Also before we get too sanctimonious I recall Cardiff making some comments about the convenient timing of Dan Hipkiss getting a blood injury towards the end of the Semi that allowed Julien Dupuy back on in time for the penalty shoot out. They seemed to suggest that it was an old cut that had that the scab had been "knocked off" rather than it having been a cut occurring during the course of play, maybe we need paramedics as refs? No, that would give Spreaders all the time wouldn't it!
Alas there is little visability of the various positions. No doubt all will become clear in the fullness of time.

The "blood injury" stunt has been pulled ever since blood injury substitutions were allowed. Bath used to do it frequently so J. Webb could take the penalty kicks.

I am not understanding at all how ERC can appeal against sentence. 12 months is too short for Williams? Hundreds of thousands of Euros too small a fine?

Booting Quins out of the competition would be totally disproportionate IMHO. After all they lost the game!
I've read that they feel that the fine is too lenient a punsishment and have asked for it to be reconsidered, but what I can't understand is that it was surely the ERC Disciplinary that decided on the punishment in the first place, so are they saying they made a mistake at the initial hearing and want to do it all again? I'm confused!
Its true they lost, and so there was plenty of time to sort it out properly. But what if they had won the game? Where would the H Cup be then?

This was in your face stuff, needs to be dealt with harshly. The 12 month ban was designed in my opinion to force Williams to come clean. Its a real shame the club are happy for him to take the blame. The blood replacement had been warming up for 20 minutes on a bike, even though it was a "surprise" return to the pitch.

Dubal
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

When they published the Hitler Diaries Tigers had just given a debut to a promising lad in the letter G shirt, a try was worth 4 points and Scotland were a rugby superpower!

I suspect few of those responsible for that fiasco are still around the paper!
Capricorn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Capricorn »

Apparently there was some undisclosed tv footage from Sky, which wasn't shown on tv during the match , and, it showed Williams reaching into his sock, and then the next minute "blood "was spouting from his mouth.
The incident did seem carefully pre-planned, but, no doubt the facts will emerge.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Capricorn wrote: The incident did seem carefully pre-planned, but, no doubt the facts will emerge.
Not carefully enough, it would appear.

And the facts, like truth, will remain elusive!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Tigre

Post by Tigre »

From the Telegraph...

''Despite the severity of the offence, let's not hang Richards from the Quins flagpole. Richards is an old pro – or an old amateur for most of his 314 games for Leicester and 48 for England – who always played close to the edge. The Leicester way for the past 20 years has always been to win at almost any cost.

Richards took that philosophy with him to Quins ''

The Leicester way? Surely that can't be true!
LeinsterCormac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LeinsterCormac »

Tigerbeat wrote:The Sunday Express sasy that the players were not aware of the resignation and are calling for Dean to be re-instated.

Al sorts of stories doing the rounds. The only perosn who knows what went on is Tom Williams. He was very foolish to wink as he left the field. If he had not winked, then I do not believe that this would have been investigated.
The winking wasn't seen by the Leinster management who smelt a rat as soon as they saw Williams coming off because, a) Nick Evans had been warming up for some time on the touchline and b) no-one could remember an incident in which Williams could have received an injury that would have generated so much blood. Winking or not, this would have led to an inquiry, although the winking part was as amateur as the rest of it.

At the game it struck me as a little odd that Williams was brought on to replace Malone when Andy Gomarsall was still on the bench. I realise that Gomarsall isn't a fly-half but I would have thought that between himself and Danny Care they would have provided a more effective half-back pairing than Care and Williams (a winger). Hindsight, of course, shows that Williams was merely a stooge to get Evans back on the pitch.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

This is now getting really silly.

ERC's disciplinary officer has appealed against the level of sanction on Quins, and the dismissal of complaints against three club officials.

The independent Disciplinary Committee, which convened over three days in July, found that misconduct complaints against Quins director of rugby Dean Richards, who resigned from his post on Saturday, and two members of the club's medical team had not been proven.

An ERC statement read: "Mr Williams' appeal is against the sanction only and not the decision of the committee while Harlequins have not lodged an appeal against either the decision or the sanction imposed on them by the committee.

"Details of the independent appeal committee and the date for the independent appeal hearing will be announced early next week."

ERC shuld face a charge of bringing the game into disrepute.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If caught blatantly cheating it deserves a huge punishment.
What next an extra player on the pitch?

It's not as if it's a simple penalty offence like offside faking a blood injury simply to bring back on a previously substuted player is as blatant as it gets.

The blood injury rules are there to protect the players from the transmission of blood born infections like hepatitis & AIDS. If sides misuse this safety regulation to rotate their subs then it will mean a return to players having to go off & the side go down to 14 players until the player has been stitched up & bandaged. (Or a permanent substitution).

Some would argue it's no worse than claiming a prop to be injured (rather than being pushed back or tired) to get uncontested scrums. It probably isn't but the latter is much harder to prove. (eg a typical Wasps Tigers game where Vickery lasts half a game before being tired out & his replacement lasts 10 minutes against our front row before being pushed back) That's so much harder to prove and police.
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

Yelphere has said it! I think I can see an insect trying to force the back door into the HC, or is it a nightmare?? :smt013 :smt018
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If Harlequins are ousted from the HC then the honourable thing would be for the place to go to a French or Irish side so that
a) Wasps don't get into the HC by default.
b) Who wouldn't rather go to France or Ireland than Adams park! Far more enjoyable for a weekend out!
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

I really can't believe the Harlequins incident is anywhere nearly as much 'cheating' as a team deliberately declaring a front row player injured when he isn't, to force the game into passive scrums, just because their scrum is being easily pushed around and about to concede a penalty try.
cal
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cal »

Dean Ryan has been approached about the Quins head coach role.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

mol2 wrote:If Harlequins are ousted from the HC then the honourable thing would be for the place to go to a French or Irish side so that
a) Wasps don't get into the HC by default.
Why is it more 'honourable' for Connacht, a makeweight in the ML, to play in the HEC than two-time winners Wasps?

It is quite clear that if Quins are thrown out (and I have no strong view on that matter) then Wasps are their legitimate replacements.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

An open letter to all Quins fans is now on their website, to update fans on what is happening and the apologise, in time for Mondays hearing.

http://www.union.quins.co.uk/news/10104.php

Also states that they have written to Leinster to apologise as well.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Suz wrote:An open letter to all Quins fans is now on their website, to update fans on what is happening and the apologise, in time for Mondays hearing.

http://www.union.quins.co.uk/news/10104.php

Also states that they have written to Leinster to apologise as well.
If, as it seems, they are openly admitting guilt and that there was no cut in the mouth, then they need to get rid of everyone involved ie the doctor and physio and the player (Danny Care) who wrote on his BLOG :

"There has been some speculation about the Tom Williams blood injury. I can assure you I saw a big cut in Tom's mouth which needed stitches after the match, so the suggestion the injury was faked is ludicrous."

They were all part of the conspiracy and all deserve punishment.
Always a Tiger