What should be our priority

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

What should be our priority

Post by tigerburnie »

Having read some of the thread about the likelyhood of a treble,it seems clear that with a smaller squad that is not achievable(for any team),salary cap and all that.
I would like to see a top six place and an all out attack at the one that's eluded us for a bit,the Heineken.
The reasons are as stated elsewhere,back to back finals are a nonsense,our lads were dead on their collective feet at the end of the match at Murrayfield due to sheer exhaustion,both mental and physical.We will have a lot of players unavailable due to international callups and unfortunately we begin with injuries carried over from last year,let alone what we may be unfortunate to collect once a balls been kicked.
Summarise,5th or 6th in the GP,would be fine,Anglo/Welsh what ever will be(don't like losing to anyone,but particularily the Welsh) and win the Heineken.............please. :smt003
I suppose if we did get to the GP final again we could let the accademy have a go :smt002
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
hoopius froodicus

Re: What should be our priority

Post by hoopius froodicus »

Would be better to give the academy a crack at the anglo welsh thingy, give the 1sts a good and probably well earned and needed break
I know towels are too small to be togas
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Agree that the Anglo Welsh watering can should be left for the academy boys to have a crack at, the inclusion of some of the younger first teamers (12T, Allen, Cole etc) would be a good idea as well. Don't think we should prioritise either the GP or the HEC at this stage I think we should just keep the Tigers philosophy of give 100% and win everything!
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Has to be the GP first. With the HC a very, very close second.

The anglo welsh a very very very very very distant 3rd.
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Going for everything undoubtedly took its toll last season as Irish and Leinster were undoubtedly fresher than we were in the GP and Heineken finals last season.

Most of the ML teams treat the league as a secondary competition since HC qualification is a formality.

A top six finish this season should be a no-brainer with so many teams in turmoil eg Wasps, Bath, Saffacens, Gloucester, Sale and Newcastle. Who knows how any of them will perform so I think it will be between us, Quins, Irish and Northampton.

But, if we want to win the HC, we have to take some risks in the league. Since there will be no Lions tour at the end of the season, the season should run a week or two longer. That finish (GP S-F, HC S-F, GP Final and then HC Final in 22 days) was punishing and I believe proved the difference between the teams in the HC final and let Irish get so close in the GP Final.
Always a Tiger
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

hoopius froodicus wrote:Would be better to give the academy a crack at the anglo welsh thingy, give the 1sts a good and probably well earned and needed break
wasnt this originally the plan for a new look anglo welsh tournament to be played during international periods.
noq
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by noq »

bluntiger wrote: But, if we want to win the HC, we have to take some risks in the league. Since there will be no Lions tour at the end of the season, the season should run a week or two longer. That finish (GP S-F, HC S-F, GP Final and then HC Final in 22 days) was punishing and I believe proved the difference between the teams in the HC final and let Irish get so close in the GP Final.
The HC Final is before the GP final this year.

1 May HC S-F
8 May GP Last game - Tigers v Saracens
15 May GP S-F
22 May HC F
29 May GP F
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I completely fail to understand the view that we should be content with mid-table GP mediocrity. Leicester have competed in 5 straight GP finals and 2 of the last 3 HEC finals, and whilst I do not take finals for granted I at least expect the club be aiming for more of the same.

The nature of the HEC is that one bad performance can completely derail you well before the final, so to target that competition ahead of your domestic championship seems pretty reckless. So no, I completely reject any strategy that would see us being happy to be GP also-rans. Such a strategy also seriously risks future HEC qualification.

The A-W, by default, will have to be played out as a second string tournament. At least as far as Tigers are concerned. There is therefore no decision to be made as to whether it should be prioritised; it cannot. The lunacy of offering an HEC spot to a GP winner is another matter.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

BJ. wrote:
hoopius froodicus wrote:Would be better to give the academy a crack at the anglo welsh thingy ...
I think this is already the case if we're aiming to play the Boks at Welford Road the night before the A-W Cup game at Leeds.
The Boks game is actually subject to the Leeds match being rearranged. Meaning little excuse for an under-strength side.
Last edited by Darc Tiger on Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's safest to go for everything and see how you get on.

If you're lucky enough to be in the mix for 2 or 3 titles at the end, then by all means prioritise at that point.

The HC would be fantastic, but it's a very easy competition to get knocked out of.

Bad grammar alert.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Well that livened things up a bit,BJ I know whoever puts on a Tigers shirt will always knock the poo out of what's in front of them.I'm thinking more on the selection front and maybe towards the sharp end,giving some players the chance to recover.I don't mean second string sides as some in the magners might do,maybe more like we had to do during the internationals last year, where we found Sam Vesty lurking in the corners.I'd love to see more of the same with players "on the fringe" being given a go,but in small numbers so as not to upset the momentum.
I do not propose a not trying policy,that would not be Tigers,nor would it do for the paying fans,but with a limited "A" league,I think our players in the squad deserve a shot at least.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I am with BJ.

Our priority should be to win every game we play, preferably with a try bonus point.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Bill W wrote:I am with BJ.

Our priority should be to win every game we play, preferably with a try bonus point.
It would be preferable,but is it acheivable?,do we have a big enough squad to go for a treble or at least a double? We will have a changed first team from last year and our international players are pretty much the same,so we will be considerably weakened at times.The GP is going to be a bit easier because the anglo/welsh thingy is on during the internationals which does ease the pressure a bit.
I realistically think a trophy is there for the taking,it's just which one do we prefer?
Last year we became only the second team to win the league and the playoffs,but at what cost? if we pace ourselves rather like we have in the past ,will we be the fresher at crunch time is my question.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

If we plan for failure the best that will happen is that we achieve our plan.

We must plan to win every game, preferably with a try bonus point. And no side shall cross our whitewash!!

KEEP THE FAITH!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
rugger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by rugger »

Magners league are introducing a play off system, these extra two games may be the reason we ran out of steam and Leinster didnt although the playoffs are another thread altogether never mind the management of players that seems to be better in Ireland than in England. Perhaps one area where the regional system has worked over our club system.

Speaking to a few Dubliners on the Lions Tour they are adamant that if the club are in contention for the league and HC at the business end of the season they will not prioritise the Magners League play offs.

This says as much about the Magners League as it does being European champions !.