What's Going On?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

What's Going On?

Post by bc »

On previous posts I have expressed concerns over how ground development can have a detrimental effect on the playing side. Rugby and soccer are littered with examples of this. LCFC being one example. My views have been dismissed by the majority on this forum but I fear that my concerns are being borne out.
Last season we struggled with injury and we had a squad that had at elast 5 more than we are going into this season with. We have lost high calibre players to other clubs with Houghaard being the latest - his move to Sarries confirmed in the Mercury today. If as is stated in the paper this was known for sometime it begs the question why did not Tigers look to get a replacement lined up?
Unless my memory fails me we start next season with 1 fly-half and he only started playing there properly for Tigers last season. No cover until Flood comes back which is apparently Nov. Not only that we do not have relaible place kicker - something which has not happened with Tigers for years.
No doubt I will be told to stop being pessimistic but from where I sit all the signs are that our playing side is being hampered by the ground development - a reduced squad and no cover in a crucial area of any team says it all.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: What's Going On?

Post by WiggoTiger »

Just KEEP THE FAITH
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

WiggoTiger wrote:Just KEEP THE FAITH
What he said! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

I dont know what it is about close season, but all of a sudden everyone is depressingly pessimistic!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Darc Tiger wrote:I dont know what it is about close season, but all of a sudden everyone is depressingly pessimistic!
This is normal for the Tigers forum at this point.

We haven't bought anyone! All our rivals are buying great players! We're all doooooomed! We will be lucky to avoid relegation!

Goode and Varndell will lose us trillions of points! Oh sorry, they're gone aren't they.

Without Goode & Varndell, we're doomed!
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

The old Fuzzy Wuzzy "don't like it up um you know" :smt023
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Rozza
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rozza »

The ground development had to be done, it's a wonder Health & Safety have let the old wooden stands stay open as long as they have!
JP
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JP »

Whilst I agree that questioning the players we have signed, or not signed depending on your view and those let go is perfectly valid, we all have an interest in continuing with the success the team enjoyed last season, I can also see the merit it maintaining a little faith in Cockers and co.

Its not like they won't have had a pretty good idea which players will be in the EPS and Saxons squads. The management arn't going to rock up to the first game of the season and think "oh do you think we should have got some more players"!!!! I am sure some thought is put into it.

I think what would best is if the club would announce the signings made, (Crane announced A.Allen signing in a magazine interview recently) and then this endless questioning, have we havent we, stuff wouldn't go on every close season.
Oadbylad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Oadbylad »

"There is nothing to commend a repetitious 'keep the faith' as a response, as if it magically confers 'real fan' status on the poster"
Hear hear
"Discussion is valid, even if ultimately it proves pointless, as it inevitably does."
Now here i disagree , Mr. Toms stated and was published in the Mercury as saying the playing staff will be reduced from 42 to 37 , if you take this within the wage cap and consider any new signings that come in the saving on 5 wages will just about cover any pay increase
As for the redevelopment that's a totally different budget surely ? or no body would get paid for the next 20 years
so i cant see how you can link the two together
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

If we are to be only reduced by 5 players next season, I anticipate 4 more new signings - hopefully good quality ones.

I suspect however that 2 or 3 of the new recruits will simply be stepping up from the academy!

I just wish Tigers would get their skates on and announce one way or another whether this Summer's round of new signings is over. :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Whilst it would be nice to know about any new signings, the Club only tend to announce them once all the contactual details have been completed.

I have faith in Cockerill and the Mamagement team for them to know what players are required.

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I have confidence in Cockers and the Management team to bring in the right players to produce a successful side.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I have posted previously...........Jeremy Staunton.........a possibility for 10!!
www.matthampson.co.uk