England RWC 2015 bid successfully done and dusted?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mr. Grumpy

England RWC 2015 bid successfully done and dusted?

Post by Mr. Grumpy »

Perhaps not, remembering Japan in 2011 – oh no, it’s New Zealand. But the England 2015 bid has been recommended by RWC Ltd to the IRB, with Japan recommended for 2019. Other candidates are South Africa and Italy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8126952.stm

Bring on the horse trading and let the national unions carve up begin.
A man does not always need to wear a red nose to be considered a clown
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Re: England RWC 2015 bid successfully done and dusted?

Post by kingol22 »

will welford road be finished by then?
zee

Post by zee »

probably not, what grounds are going to be used? any rugby ones bar twickenham or will it be a football stadia show...
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

when they posted the bid they said some classic grounds eg tigers bath glouster plus bigger places like old trafford for later stages
zee

Post by zee »

It says in that article emirates, old trafford, anfield, wembley, twickers... How on earth are they going to get these grounds even half full for any game not involving England? I hope this doesnt end up being an over-ambitious embarrassment.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

zee wrote:It says in that article emirates, old trafford, anfield, wembley, twickers... How on earth are they going to get these grounds even half full for any game not involving England? I hope this doesnt end up being an over-ambitious embarrassment.
You may well have a good point Zee. In 2007, having failed to act quickly enough to get tickets for an England game in France, I got tickets to take H and a friend up to Edinburgh to see Scotland v Romania.

Inexpensive hotel, cheap flights and virtually giveaway tickets I was staggered to see large numbers of empty seats at Murrayfield.

I would have though even the non-rugby fans would spend a couple of quid to walk down the road and see their national team in a world cup match that looked like being a reasonable game with a win for their team (in the end it was a bit of a England v SA pool match result but hey-ho). But the Scots couldn't be bothered.

I would hope the powers that be would look especially at the 2007 attendances and work on filling stadia with similar crowds for similar matches with pricing to maximise crowds and fill grounds – well I can always hope,
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

WR will not be completely redeveloped for the WC. Capacity likely to be 24000, which will be ok for the majority of the early rounds not featuring England, and probably NZ. Same for Glaws, etc. Twickers and roundyball stadia full for quarters onwards.
Valhalla I am coming!
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Should include Villa Park.

Good for Tigers, Saints, Wuss and Glaws fans.

Unlike all the venues in Cockney land and that hot bed of rugby union which is the North West.
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Empty stadia are depressing.

The cricket world cup farce in the West Indies being a prime example.

It would be much better to stage games in traditional rugby stadia where the demand for tickets might roughly equal the supply.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

empty stadiums are going to happen for the likes of tonga v samoa inless they give away tickets but if they use the footy ones for games involving us ireland wales and france might get a chance of getting 75% crowd if tickets are reasonable
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Need to ensure real fans not just corporates get opportunities to purchase tickets to all games and not just the choice big matches.

My view, if we support the clubs week in week out over the years it would be great to have access to tickets to see World Cup Rugby in this country and not just the usual prawn cocktail brigade turning up once a year ala 'Jolly Old Twickers'.

Also realistic pricing needed. Can't remember the exact figure but to see Wales v Aus in 2007 at Millenium was c£170, not bad seat but not best and that was face value.
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
BeerBitch
Tiger Cub

Post by BeerBitch »

I am so going to the samoa and tonga game!

be good to go see some of the 'smaller teams' games as i doubt any of us proper fans with limited bank accounts will be priced out of any of the England games.
great news tho that we have got it....almost!
Anthony
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Anthony »

Interesting that the RWC comes to England in between what the IRB has already stated will be a loss making RWC in New Zealand and probably the same will occur in Japan four years later.

Does England & Australia get it just to boost IRB coffers? :smt002
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Japan dont have the world cup after new zealand that is the one we are bidding for is it not
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

If tickets were no more than £10 for the pool games then it would be a great opportunity to fill the big stadiums BUT they wont be and they'll be ridicously over priced.
England tickets as they currently stand are a absolute con!

Anyway give it to Italy, i quit fancy Rome for some World Cup Action!