1st Test - Tom starts on Saturday; Harry on the bench

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigergirl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

1st Test - Tom starts on Saturday; Harry on the bench

Post by tigergirl »

Yes I know it's Lions stuff but it needs to be on here too because we're so proud of our Tigers transforming into Lions!!
Minty

Re: Tom starts on Saturday; Harry on the bench

Post by Minty »

The amount of Ospreys players with the Lions worries me when it comes the the Heineken again this year :smt037
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Minty wrote:The amount of Ospreys players with the Lions worries me when it comes the the Heineken again this year :smt037
Haha i noticed that too mate, they have so many individual world class players, but as a team the Ospreys do seem to under perform
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Congratulations to both our boys. Tom thoroughly deserves his starting jersey and makes a mockery of the initial decision to not even include him in the squad!
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

POSTIGER wrote:Congratulations to both our boys. Tom thoroughly deserves his starting jersey and makes a mockery of the initial decision to not even include him in the squad!
Ditto Postiger. Tom has worked his socks off this season and his effort is being rewarded with a Lions test cap and Harry back in the mix as part of the matchday 22. Well done guys and do your stuff against the Springboks and make us proud.

:smt026 :smt026 :smt026 :smt026
Philip J Gray
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

5 players from the GP and 17 from the Magners.

One can understand the 8 Irish players, given the Irish successes at club and international level in 2009. But 9 Welsh?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Kinoulton wrote: But 9 Welsh?
It is a fact that coaches pick players they know and the coaching team is Wasps and Wales slanted - McGeechan/Edwards at Wasps and Gatland/Edwards/Howley at Wales.

So no surprise they picked an initial squad that was biased towards Wales and Wasps.

But given the squad they now have, they have chosen based on form and you can't argue with any on the selections. Based on form probably the luckiest player in the starting 15 is O'Connell but he is the squad captain so fair play.
Always a Tiger
captain_insaino
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by captain_insaino »

Comeplety right there, as I pick o'connell in my XV, but because he's the captain he has to be there.
Well done to crofty though, he completely deserves and would have been in the XV with Ferris, this adding to his great season. Well done to harry ellis as well who has grabbed his chance extremely well. :smt041
TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
TigerS2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerS2 »

Minty wrote:The amount of Ospreys players with the Lions worries me when it comes the the Heineken again this year :smt037
Perhaps the S Africans will knock seven bells out of them so they will be out for a few months. Ofcourse I don't wish that to happen, it is just that they do have a reputaton of being a bit "passionate" about their rugby, as the Lions found out on Tuesday.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

well done tom and ellis but tom will be a dead man walking by the end of this tour if he isnt already
jen in the mountains

Post by jen in the mountains »

Poor Tom, he's been forced to go swiming in the Indian Ocean. That local seals look quite familiar though :smt003
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/4VYqKvmj ... /Tom+Croft
yorkieporkie

Post by yorkieporkie »

I must admit its a fairly strong Lions side, but can someone please tell me why Paul O'Connell is playing, he's had a torrid tour so far, surely the best lock combo has been Aw Jones and Hines!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

bluntiger wrote:But given the squad they now have, they have chosen based on form and you can't argue with any on the selections.
I can argue against selecting so many people who've won nowt.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Kinoulton wrote:
bluntiger wrote:But given the squad they now have, they have chosen based on form and you can't argue with any on the selections.
I can argue against selecting so many people who've won nowt.
Go ahead and argue Kinoulton, but who else from the squad out there would you select? Keith Earls who won the Magners with Munster? I don't think so. Rob Kerney who won the Heineken with Leinster? Possibly but not ahead of Byrne.
Always a Tiger