GP 2009/10 - Transitional?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

GP 2009/10 - Transitional?

Post by bluntiger »

I think next season will be a transitional season for many of the teams.

Bath – with all the problems they have it is unclear whether they will have a full squad and if they do it will have been patched together at best following the loss of Stevens, Lipmann, Crocket et al. Also, they will need to rebuild a battered reputation and re-instill a professional ethos into the squad and rid it of its party culture.

Sale – All change! Have lost Saint-Andre from the coaching line-up and JMF Lobbe, Chabal, Bruno, Lamont, McAlister, White, Schofield etc from the playing line-up. They will surely suffer from those losses. As yet, they have largely failed to replace any of them! You just can’t lose the likes of Lobbe, Chabal, McAlister etc and not suffer badly.

Gloucester – unsettled and unhappy squad with many young players eg Lamb, Allen, Barkley etc leaving as well as Balshaw, Nieto and being replaced by aging ‘stars’ eg Rabeni, Voyce etc. And will Dean Ryan really be at the helm when the new season starts? Does he have the confidence of the squad?

Saracens – who knows who they will have in their squad next year or where they will play? It will take at least two seasons to rebuild and recruit the right squad and that is IF they can pull it off.

Wasps – the losses of Palmer, Lewsey, Voyce, Haskell, Ibanez, Flutey, Reddan etc. cannot be under-estimated and with an aging squad including Betsen, Shaw, Worsley etc. they may well struggle to get back into the top four for the next couple of seasons.

Newcastle – Again, major losses to their squad including Wilkinson, May, Parling, Dowson, Clegg, Noon etc. they are going to struggle. Hayman apart, they have lost all the class players and will be lucky to replace them with journeymen at best. At least they won’t trouble the salary cap next season!

I cannot see any change in the top three next year, That is Tigers, Irish and Quins since largely they have stable squads and will continue to grow.

Of the other teams, Northampton should kick on and could get into the top 4. Certainly they will never get a better chance and as they have strengthened their squad they should be in better shape than those above.

I also anticipate Worcester and Leeds battling at the bottom of the table with any of the above. I don’t think I can remember a close season when so many teams are in such a state albeit for such different reasons.
Always a Tiger
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: GP 2009/10 - Transitional?

Post by Darc Tiger »

Good analysis.

But I feel Saracens could do well for a change, but only for a season or two as instead of buying young saffers they seem to be buying 28-32 year old saffers in their prime or ending their days.

Wasps may have lost a few key forwards, but their backline is looking immense. Can the new forwards provide the platform?

Top 4 im making an early prediction of Tigers, Quins, Irish and Saints.
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

I fancy saints as real contenders next season, they've been playing some very nice stuff, the top 4 potential is there for sure.
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

with bath in a state could it be (i think this is right) a first ever relegation?
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Saints looking good and with us looking sharp too - will be nice to have a couple of good east mids games!
adam789

Post by adam789 »

Where has Clegg gone? I think we were looking at him for a time, weren't we?
Formerly known as LeisurePirate...
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

I agree with your analysis of the teams, but you haven't factored in the international call-ups. These tend to give the less well-endowed (ooh-er, Matron!) teams a chance for points.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I believe Rory Clegg has been snapped up by Exiles
Last edited by TigrisLeicesteris on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Good analysis, I think Saints are to team to watch next season. I see no reason why they can't surpass Quins & Irish and get 2nd place.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="adam789"]Where has Clegg gone? I think we were looking at him for a time, weren't we?[/quote]

I thought I read somewhere that he had gone to Quins.
If so, another astute signing by Richards, as he will learn much from Evans.

I don't agree with the dire predictions about Bath. It will be tough for them, but I think they have enough quality players to see them through.Will help if they manage to sign the young Aussie back rower, and the signing of David Wilson, and re-signing of Barkley will help.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Bath and Insects to contest the big drop!!!

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:I believe Rory Clegg has been snapped up by the Exiles

Clegg signed for Quins :smt002
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Call me cynical but we can't underestimate the Pests. I really don't expect them to have to dire seasons on the trot. That being said, if they fail to make the HC next season i doubt the club will last. A lot will depend on players like Tom Rees and Danny Cipriani on whether they can take the club forward.
I agree though that Bath will have a disappointing season. Losing both captains is not good, and certainly not in the manner which they have left. Unfortunatly, I doubt the club will be able to replace them soon as an ongoing legal battle is surely on the cards.
Gloucester I feel will have a great season at home, but have a horrendes (sp.) away season. With the players they have signed however, they will certainly be fighting for the play-off spot.

My league prediction is:

1. Leicester Tigers (unbeaten at Welford Road)
2. Harlequins (unbeaten at the Stoop)
3. London Irish
4. London Wasps
5. Northamton Saints (Unbeaten at Franklin Gardens)
6. Gloucester
7. Bath Rugby
8. Sale Sharks
9. Saracens
10. Worcester Warriors
11. Leeds Carnige (sp)
12. Newcastle Falcons

I reserve the right to change it when all the clubs have confirmed comings and goings.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I think newcastle will stay up and saints in top four not wasps theyll finish seventh
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Quins the ones to watch out for next season - on the up and up and improving each season