Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SSDas
Tiger Cub

Running predictions for the test team

Post by SSDas »

So far, I think the team's shaping up to be-

15. Byrne - barring injury there's no way he doesn't start all three tests
14. Tommy Bowe - i think he's done enough and the others haven't to lock up a place for the 1st test at least. I think the wingers have been disappointing so far
13. ODriscol - first name on the team sheet for the last two years, not much to say.
12. Jamie Roberts - no way anyone can replace him, Earls doesn't have the overall game and with Shanklin and Flutey injured it's a lock, probably for all 3 tests I think.
11. Up for grabs - I don't have a clue who'll take the other spot, it's the most open position atm. No one else has put there hand up yet, though I think Williams is pretty much out of it after today.
10. Stephen Jones - I've not been impressed by OGara for a while now. It may just be bad luck but he's shown a Hodgson esque propensity to go missing in big games (yes I know he won a grand slam, but he was terrible in the first half) and he just hasn't looked as reliable as Jones.
9. Mike Phillips - Bleh, I want Ellis but I think it's very unlikely he'll play. Phillip's physical presence and international experience give him the edge. Ellis >Blair for the bench though.
8. Jamie Heaslip? - I'm not sure on this position. Is Powell to one dimensional for a lions place? He makes a noticeable impact on the field but I suspect Heaslip offers more options at 8.
7. Martyn Williams - No brainer
6. Stephen Ferriss - Again, I want Croft but I think Ferriss' pace and recent form to an extent negates Croft in the loose and McGeechan obviously has some doubt about Croft. Along with ellis I think he's a must for the bench though, Worsley and Wallace haven't impressed me so far.
5. Paul Oconnel - Duh
4. Alun Wyn Jones - Another no brainer for me. Had an outstanding last two seasons with Wales and is just a better choice than Shaw/Hines/OCallaghan.
3. Vickery? - Haven't seen much of Murray but he looks ok too. I guess I wouldn't mind either in this spot
2. Lee Meers - His line out throwing is a big factor for me. Ford has looked a bit dodgy and although he's good in the lose I think Meer's offloading capabilities are a big plus for the Lions pack.
1. Gethin Jenkins - And it's not even close
pacificleicesterer
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Running predictions for the test team

Post by pacificleicesterer »

15-Lee Byrne - Easily the best fullback on tour, should stroll into the team.
14-Tommy Bowe - brilliant against the golden lions. Scored tries and offloaded to set up a couple.
13-Brian O' Driscoll - Obviously!
12-Jamie Roberts - His line breaking is good and his finishing isn't to bad either.
11- Ugo Monye? - pace to burn. No one else has really stepped up to the plate.
10- Stephen Jones- Much more consistent than O' gara recently.
9- Mike Phillips - Passing was spot on and his experience will count i pressuer sitiations.
8- Jamie Heaslip - better all round 8, Powell is a bit of a one trick pony.
7- Martyn Williams - Good at stealing at the ruck.
6- Tom Croft/Stephen Ferris - ???? Croft because he's croft
5- Paul O'connell - Captain, He'd have to play extremely badly not to be picked
4- Alun Wyn Jones
3- Eaun Murray
2- Lee Mears- good at the line out and the loose
1- Andrew sheridan- He's massive! Could rip the boks scrum to bits

Do the other reasons later
Last edited by pacificleicesterer on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
Muhammad Ali
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

SSDas...put Monye in at 11 and I don't think you're far off what the actual starting team will be (barring injuries). I would love to see Croft in at blindside but I think that Ferris just edges Tom at the moment...although there is still time. I still say that we lose the series 3-0.
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

15. Byrne - Kearney is good and wouldn't let anyuone down, but Byrne has been class all season.
14. Tommy Bowe - Has had a good season for club and country and seems to have taken that form into the lions.
13. ODriscol - This time last year he wouldn't have made my squad. What a difference a year makes.
12. Jamie Roberts - Big, strong, runs good lines and keeps going. He will make space for others.
11. Ugo Monye - Is looking the sharpest of the wingers after Bowe and has plebty of pace. Ickle needs to stop trying to force the game.
10. Stephen Jones - I'm not an O'Gara critic but Jones slightly edges it for me. Both of them tend to be unfairly critisised and neither would let the team down.
9. Mike Phillips - Seems to be hitting the form he showed pre his knee injury. Big, strong and very physical. Now if he can start making those breaks again that will really help keep the Bok backrow honest.
8. Jamie Heaslip - I like Powell, he'll run through walls for you all day, but Heaslip offers more around the field.
7. Wallace - Offers more physicality at the breakdown than Williams. Though I wouldn't be disappointed to see Nugget play.
6. Stephen Ferris - I'd love to pick Crofty but both players are showing good form. Ferris edges it due to his experience of playing with the other two and I also think he's slightly more physical.
5. Paul Oconnel - He may be the captain but I would like to see an improvement in his play.
4. Alun Wyn Jones - Doesn't bring the bulk of the other options but gets around the field and a good line out option.
3. Vickery - I was surprised by how much he impressed me when he played last. Just edges Adam Jones for me.
2. Lee Meers - I wasn't impressed by Ross Ford. He didn't carry enough for a big lad and doesn't offer much around the field.
1. Gethin Jenkins - Please, please don't let them pick Sheridan.

Subs:
Murray
Rees
Hines - possibly Powell instead as Crofty can cover the second row.
Croft
Ellis
Hook
Kearney - possibly 1/2penny
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

15.Byrne - no contest so far
14.Bowe - best winger on the tour
13.BOD - do I even have to write it down?
12.Roberts - Have my doubts about his defense but with Flutey injured he's in
11.Monye? - Tough one. Ickle shane has been awful, 1/2penney looks unfit.
10. Jones - ROG did ok but Jones seems to be a couple of %% above
9. Phillips - I'd actually prefer Ellis but his tested combination with Jones wins
8. Heasilp - Although I'd actually like to see what Ferris could do at 8
7. Wallace/Williams - toss a coin, Wallace may edge it due to power and Irish combination in the backrow
6. Ferris - Could be Croft but the idea of playing Irish 6,7,8 will prove too attractive.
5. Jones - No other real choice, DOC doesn't cut it for me.
4. POC - Skipper.
3. Murray - Looks the better player and Scots have to have 1 starter, unless Hines starts.
2. Mears - Seems to be the only one that can hit his jumpers.
1. Jenkins - one of the 1st names on the team sheet.
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

Crikey, nice to see that we all very nearly agree for once, No.11 being the most difficult, I don't rate Moyne, but with Shane not on top form and halfpenny just coming back, Moyne may well start the first test, can't see him doing all 3 though, I think he would get dropped after the 1st one ...
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

To be honest i dont think Byrne is as nailed on for that 15 jersey as some people do. I thought Kearney had an awesome game against the Goldon Lions and will get another chance to prove himself on tuesday i imagine. Byrne has the better boot but i think Kearney is better under the high ball, but we will see.
Starburst
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Starburst »

That's quite an interesting idea, Ferris at 8 making an opening for Croft at 6. Could work.

If it happened it would certainly surprise the Boks. When the squad was announced most people were expecting the Lions to pick a huge set peice pack.

But the Lions pack could have Jones at lock, a back row of Croft, Ferris & Wallace/Williams. Through in Jenkins and Mears in the front row. Thats a very mobile, fit pack. But also a pack strong enough to hold it's own in the scrum and win lineout ball.

The Lions have big strong running backs. Could be Geechs plan to penetrate slighly wider out using Byrne, Bowe, Roberts and rely on the mobile pack to support them.
nottslad

Post by nottslad »

Looking at players who I do not think will be in the 1st test squad for definate after ther displays so far.

EARLS
POWELL
BLAIR
1/2PENNEY
FORD
WORSLEY
OCALLAGHAN

And if he wasn't captain OCONNELL who has been poor in both his games, but will still play. (AW JONES and HINES are better)
CROFT on bench at least. ELLIS played well today good service, but just (only just) behind PHILLIPS, but should get bench at least.
glass is half full
T T

Post by T T »

Byrne........ injury yesterday ? seemed to have trouble after he dropped a high ball near the end and was having heavy strapping applied to his fingers immediately after the final whistle, while still on the pitch
T T
SSDas
Tiger Cub

Post by SSDas »

I'm wondering where you all think Geordan Murphy ranks as a possible Lions full back?

I never heard his name mentioned once pre-selection for the tour yet he was immense in the last half of the season for us. He's a more effective ball carrier than Kearney from what i've seen so far and his ability under the high ball is terrific. His kicking game is probably slightly behind Byrne and Kearney but I think those two are so similar that Murphy could make a better impact of the bench than Kearney could.
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

15.Byrne - Just ... but yesterday he did lack ideas and kicked poorly
14.Bowe - electric .. could be the big surprise of the tour
13.BOD - world class and needs to help POC with captaincy
12.Roberts - the boks will genuinely worry about him and they should..
11.Monye - 1/2penney still time to stake claim, but Shane is at best on bench
10. Jones - with Hook on bench (ROG defense issues)
9. Phillips - clear lead over Ellis
8. Ferris - could be a master stroke
7. Wallace - as Williams could get well overpowered by awesome boks backrow
6. Croft - how could he be left out ... boks (Spies etc) are fast as well as powerful.
5. Jones - chance that DOC could show but probably not.
4. POC - ... but you have to wonder if Hines / Jones combo would ultimately be better
3. ??? - Normal thinking says Murray, but Sheridan seems to have been scrummaging better and has been more active around the pitych than usual
2. Mears - unless Ford wakes up
1. Jenkins - he is strong and everywhere
SimonP in Surrey

Post by SimonP in Surrey »

Our very own Murphy is a nice thought and would provide a great attacking threat, but his kicking out of hand and defensive skills are slightly behind Kearny and Byrne I think ... ??

Thoughts ??
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Unfortunately I think no matter what team is picked, and IMO a biased selection on some counts, that the Boks will win the series 3-0, I hope I'm wrong but I can't see the team gelling as they said they were aiming for.

There are players in this squad that have no where near justified selection, I feel embarassed by some of them at the moment, 2 poor performances from those touted by some in the beginning as 'cert' starters, with the ones left for the squad putting in a cracking performances, yet unlikely to get a chance
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

There is something seriously wrong in this world if Gethin Jenkins wasn't, isn't and won't be at the front of the queue for the Loosehead place. The guy is the best in the world in his position.

Alun Wyn Jones has impressed me no end on tour so far and will be the front runner to accompany the underwhelming (so far) PO'C in the second row.

We may not know who will be in the back row but we know that it shouldn't be Worsley.

Likewise scrum half and Mike Blair. Phillips and Jones are currently favourites.

Centres are so nailed on that barring injury they aren't even worth mentioning.

That one conundrum in the back three though is Williams continued walkabout of form. Byrne will probably be a certainty, though Kearney did all right against the worst opposition we've seen. Fitzgerald might well make it an Irish wing pairing, but we haven't seen him in his proper position yet. Monye probably sits at the top of the depth chart by virtue of having already played in that position on tour.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".