Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Bath

Post by Duncan B »

I seriously dont think this is very funny or something to be gloating about guys
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I wouldn't be surprised if they took legal action against the club due to defamation of character, no one's going to want to touch them with a barge pole
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Agreed Duncan B, i did post earlier that i hope it's not rife etc, it was just a thought that ran through my mind. No offence ment and i hope all concern can sort out whatever problems they may have.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:
bluntiger wrote:Just released on Bath's site.

"
I wouldn't be surprised if they took legal action against the club due to defamation of character, no one's going to want to touch them with a barge pole
Where is the defamation of character? It reads to me as Bath stating facts.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 055662.stm

Oh dear! Dirty linen well and truly washed in public.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

The part about the drugs tests, it is likely to prevent them from getting employment, hence the defaming of character, they failed to appear for drugs tests yes, but they were not statuatory/legal.

Football is having the same argument with WADA, about the 'Whereabouts' rule, stating players should not be tested 365 days a year 24/7, as I understand it, footballers have cause for legal action, therefore so would rugby players
Last edited by TigrisLeicesteris on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Their careers are over,who would touch them now,certainly never going to win any caps,you'd think big clubs would educate the players about the pit falls.
Money coming too fast and youth,never a happy mix,sadly this will unlikely to be the end of this saga. :smt011
Rugby has been tainted by this,the whole sport,sadly.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:The part about the drugs tests, it is likely to prevent them from getting employment, hence the defaming of character, they failed to appear for drugs tests yes, put they were not statuatory/legal.
Without knowing all of the fine print on their individual contracts I suspect that only the players and the Club's lawyers will know whether the the test were legal.

Though I would be shocked if there was not a clause requiring players submit themselves for drug test in or out of competition.
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd disagree Tigerburnie, yes I agree it leaves a sour taste in the mouth, but I'm sure it will galvanize the rugby community to take a much more active stance, and hopefully come out of this better than we went in
Voltaire

Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

From the way that I look at it there is no other way that bath culd have handled this other than the way in which they have done to be perfectly honest with you. If the players had just been released then the club would have had some serious questions to answer and it would seem very strange that they have been released or left on their own right when these investigations were taking place and the results were about to be published. If they had kept hold of them for another season or risked it just for the pre-season then they would have published the findings of this investigation and then the players would have been suffering a ban from the RFU or the IRB which would have looked very bad on Bath's behalf. IMHO they have handled this as best that they could have done.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe this is where the issue stemmed from Tigerfeet, it was an extra non-contractual test, asking them to submit to test outside their club requirements.

I'm happy to be put right. As stated I believe their are proceedings in the courts being taken against WADA for similar rules

I agree Ben, this is the best way to handle it, I just stated there is likely to be a legal challenge by the aformentioned players
Voltaire

Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:Sorry for double post, I believe this is where the issue stemmed from Tigerfeet, it was an extra non-contractual test, asking them to submit to test outside their club requirements. I'm happy to be put right. As stated I believe their are proceedings in the courts being taken against WADA for similar rules
As I understand the on-going dispute with roundy ball the argument is over the proposal from WADA about drug testing rather than the rules that are currently in place.

Happy to be proved wrong though ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8044785.stm
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:I believe this is where the issue stemmed from Tigerfeet, it was an extra non-contractual test, asking them to submit to test outside their club requirements.

I'm happy to be put right. As stated I believe their are proceedings in the courts being taken against WADA for similar rules

I agree Ben, this is the best way to handle it, I just stated there is likely to be a legal challenge by the aformentioned players
Four players from Bath have asked to be released from their contracts - the club has agreed.

That is all we and the media needed to know.

Dirty linen has been washed in public, unnecesarily, IMHO.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

It's a desperately sad situation for Bath, I've been watching Bath / Tigers games since I was 4 years old and I take absolutely no pleasure in reading this. I hope very much that there isn't a 'drug culture' at Bath but it seems certain players have been misguided and I think that is unbelievable when you consider the privileged position they are in as professional sportsmen - I would give my right arm* to play Rugby for a living and I find it amazing that players would jeopardise their careers when they are so incredibly lucky

*admitedly the absence of my right arm may affect my performances!
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

From what I have heard their fellow team mates gave evidence against them as some of the players were getting fed up with the bad name these players were giving the club.

Can't see how these three could have carried on playing for Bath if their own team mates spoke out against them.