Heineken Cup Draw - Tues 09th June - Discussion here please

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

The Countess of Welford
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Heineken Cup Draw - Tues 09th June - Discussion here please

Post by The Countess of Welford »

I would also rate ASM above Biarritz or Stade.

I know historically Stade and BOPB have better records than ASM in the European Cup but ask any Munster fan and they will say the Clermont side are no pushover especially at home.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

jgriffin wrote:What were the Bakers Arms guys doing on the road from the south on Monday then? Spotted the bus and pipped.
Ernie took the Bakers Arms Barbarians down to Crantock in Cornwall to play cricket, left me to hold the fort back in Blabyshire. We didnt get to play much cricket back in Limerick :smt003 The bakers Arms must be the only pub in world with a rugby team but no darts team : :smt001
LeinsterCormac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LeinsterCormac »

The Countess of Welford wrote:I would also rate ASM above Biarritz or Stade.

I know historically Stade and BOPB have better records than ASM in the European Cup but ask any Munster fan and they will say the Clermont side are no pushover especially at home.
Munster were lucky to beat them at home last season too, despite Clermont being down to 14 men for much of the game. They're a seriously good side, beat Toulouse in the recent French semi-final and have been to the French final for the last three seasons.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Ospreys again!! It feels like we play them more often than some of the GP clubs (apart from Bath!) :smt002
Its a hard pool but we should do it.. I fancy a trip to Italy as well. :smt023
I was really hoping for Brive - would have been nice to have AG back at Welford Road!!

Pool 5 is 'the pool of death' 3 out of this years 1/4 finalists, very hard. Could go any way.

I bet the Saints are looking forward to a trip to Munster :smt023
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

i agree with most people on here that group 5 is the group of death this year with perhaps Sale the weakest in that group after loosing a few players to France could be any 1 out of the three other to top the group....and more than likely only one going through .....Munster to go through in Group 1 and possibly Perpignan. Biarritz from the poorest group (2), Leicester and Ospreys from our group 3, Stade from group 4, Cardiff from Group 5, London Irish from Group 6.
I expect the best runners up will come from the groups with the Italians, as normal.
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

dailywaffle wrote:
Richard wrote:I would rather have Clermont than say Toulouse, Biarritz, Stade, Perpignan.......
Many, including me, would rate ASM Clermont ahead of Stade Francais or BOPB.
Ditto. They're backline is terrifying for next season - they've just topped it off with Jaque Fourie aswell.

9.Parra
10.James
11.Rougerie
12.Baby
13.Joubert
14.Nalanga
15.Floch

And thats not counting Malzieu, Joubert etc etc - stunning quality to have in that area. I'm a great admirer of theirs and would rather have had any other french team (bar Toulouse) in our group.

That being said i don't suppose either the Ospreys or Clermonts more knowledgable supporters are looking at this group and licking their lips either (well, maybe for the quality of Rugby that will be on show, but not from an easy rin point of view).
Lozza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lozza »

:smt024 WWOOOOHHHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry - couldn't help it - I'm so excited about going to Clermont again! :smt004
Lozza

Nothing is Impossible
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Nalanga vs Tuilagi! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

I see 30,000 tickets have already been sold for the final in Paris...
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

That is not a bad draw and never easy regardless of who we play. Ospreys never easy games and Clermont a different proposition than when we played them a few years ago. I am just looking forward to sitting in that new Caterpillar Stand. Any news on pre-season freindlies as yet?

:smt026 :smt026
Philip J Gray
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

tigermad wrote:That is not a bad draw and never easy regardless of who we play. Ospreys never easy games and Clermont a different proposition than when we played them a few years ago. I am just looking forward to sitting in that new Caterpillar Stand. Any news on pre-season freindlies as yet?

:smt026 :smt026
There is a separate thread re a pre-season fixture against Munster.

Based on the euro rankings the two toughest groups are 1 and 5 (edit); our group 'only' being third toughest. However, Ospreys low ranking following their late season disasters is probably misleading.

Group 2, unsurprisingly, scores as the easiest.
Last edited by dailywaffle on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

who do we want first?

Post by kingol22 »

Personally i would like ospreys away and then clermont at home as 2 good performanses there would probaly see us top our group with ospreys at home should be a victory and 10 points from italy.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Shame about northampton was hoping they would get through but with there group they wont be happy
cotch
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: who do we want first?

Post by cotch »

i think a nice home tie against the french team followed by the offsprays away. that way the back to back games wil be against the italians and we could rest some of our international who might need a break due to the crazy autum international matches. and finish with group matches with offsprays at home
BEER IS TO RUGBY AS CUSTARD IS TO RHUBARB
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

If you go to say, Clermont with tigers travel club how much free time do you generally get over there? just the day of the game or an exta day to check out the local area?
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!