Pre-season friendly

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kingol22
Super User
Super User

Pre-season friendly

Post by kingol22 »

Does anyone know any info on freindlys last season the home freindly was not great a super 14 team i think probaly cause of meyer but maybe this year we can get one against a big team such as leinster or munster im sure we would sell the 24000 capacity out with decent ticket prices and the promise of a ghreat team any one agree
Last edited by kingol22 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Pre season freindly

Post by maskedsquid »

I think there is almost no chance of selling 24,000 tickets for a pre-season friendly - and that's assuming the ground is completed in time for pre-season matches.

Unless tickets are sold for £2 or the opposition are the (proper) All Blacks for an official opening of the stand, there will be no full house for a meaningless match.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

What about the BaaBaas?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

The Western Force came last season but had none of their star in the team eg Giteau etc. and the game was pedestrian and one-sided.
Always a Tiger
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

if tickets were sold at 10 pound and the team was say munster i think theres everychance we could sell 24000
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

There is no chance of a 24,000 sellout at a pre-season game, even for a side like Munster.

The last time we played Munster in a pre-season friendly (Augst 2005) the game drew a 'crowd' of under 8,000. That's less than some of our A League matches!

This season's Western Force game only drew a 12,000 corwd & that was with 6,000 tickets being given away free to 2 & 3 year ST holders. That was the first time I can ever remember a home pre-season game breaking the 10,000 barrier!

The pre-season opposition won't be the Barbarians as no clubs will be willing to release their players for a Barbarians game in the middle of their own preseason, plus of course the home club has to pay the away club/players for pre-season games & a barbarians side would just be too expensive.
Raarrr

Post by Raarrr »

I was under the impression that the first home game of the new season was to be played at the Crisp Bowl, due to Welford Rd developments etc.
Here's hoping we do have some pre-season friendlies, but where will they be held?
Tigers go Raarrr!!!
LeinsterCormac
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by LeinsterCormac »

kingol22 wrote:Does anyone know any info on freindlys last season the home freindly was not great a super 14 team i think probaly cause of meyer but maybe this year we can get one against a big team such as leinster or munster im sure we would sell the 24000 capacity out with decent ticket prices and the promise of a ghreat team any one agree
I think your chances of seeing a full-strength Leinster or Munster side in pre-season are pretty slim. For starters, I can't imagine that any of the Lions will be back playing before the end of September, plus both sides routinely play weakened sides in pre-season and make full use of their squads.
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

No, the Crisp Bowl won't be used for Premiership games next season.

And any home pre-season game will take place at Welford Road.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Raarrr wrote:I was under the impression that the first home game of the new season was to be played at the Crisp Bowl, due to Welford Rd developments etc.
Here's hoping we do have some pre-season friendlies, but where will they be held?
Stewards say it will be finished in time and the seats are going in at the end of june
Hans Hullabaloo

Post by Hans Hullabaloo »

me2 wrote:No, the Crisp Bowl won't be used for Premiership games next season.

And any home pre-season game will take place at Welford Road.
i'm not sure if this correct, but in order to reseive the proper safty certificate isn't the stand required to firstly open at a lower capcity for a few games. if so pre-season freindlies must be a perfect opportunity
"Everything You Know is Wrong"
cornish_tiger

Post by cornish_tiger »

News from Cornwall

Cornish Pirates play Cardiff @ the Camborne Rec 15th August

then

Play Quins away on the 29th August.
Last edited by cornish_tiger on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BORN CORNISH
STAY CORNISH
LIVE CORNISH
DIE CORNISH
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

If Tigers had any sense they'd let kids in free and adults for no more than £5 for pre-season and then market the living daylights out of it!
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

Don't forget the munster match is on the bank holiday weekend, many people (including 12 of the 15 season ticket holders that i meet up with to go down WR) are away at various festivals etc.

many others will already have holdidays etc booked with their families

meaning a small crowd is inevitable
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

Should that read pre-season friendly?

:smt003 :smt003
Philip J Gray