Tigers Anthem

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JayA
Top Cat
Top Cat

Tigers Anthem

Post by JayA »

There are various threads on the forum about songs. Whether it be the normal WR chant of “T-I-G-E-R-S”, or the pro’s and cons of using anthems, like swing low, Jerusalem etc. There are also various discussions about crowd noise, cheering on the team, and the music that is played as the tigers run onto the pitch.

So, what are people’s thoughts on a Tigers song of our own? A song that can be played over the tannoy as the players run out, a song that can be sung from the terrace. An up beat, lively song that is Tigers specific and written just for us?

Maybe there is a song writer out there who can see an opportunity for a tigers song at the top of the charts as well as us being top of the GP? :smt035
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers Anthem

Post by WhitecapTiger »

JayA,

I'm in agreement with you to a degree but be prepared to be slapped down, bundled into a car boot wrapped in a tartan rug/blanket and kept in a soundproof room for weeks on end, with little headroom to prevent you standing up at excitement points and if you're really lucky you may get fed a paltry amount of soup (or bovril/coffee/tea etc) at irregular intervals from a shiny thermos flask for suggesting such heresey :smt002 :smt002

I thought the Leinster fans made great noise with short songs, molly malone, c'mon you boys in blue - aswell as the very loud L-E-I-N-S-T-E-R throughout the game.

IF your idea were to be taken seriously I would suggest a known tune rather than a newly composed one as it'd be easier for all to relate to - Rock Bottom in the Tiger's Bar after matches do a good version of REMs The One I Love with Tiger's references inserted appropriately.

I'm counting the seconds until someone reminds us this is the umpteenth time this subject has been discussed on this forum :smt005 :smt005 :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JayA
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JayA »

I wouldnt want to upset the tartan rug brigade, and I know this subject has been discussed again, and again, but maybe a patriotic Tigers specific song is a slightly different vein.

When we were in Cardiff for the six nations, we walked into a bar to the sounds of "As long as we beat the English we dont care" which I think is a song by the Steriophonics. Very passionate (and not as hostile as the name suggests), so maybe we could entice a Leicester band to put pen to paper.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

You could try

http://www.leicestertigers.com/forum/vi ... hilit=song

http://www.leicestertigers.com/forum/vi ... ng#p390267

as a starter for previous discussions :smt002 some of the older ones have fallen off the end of the forum though.

my opinon? It'll never happen. It's been tried numerous times before, people have written and performed songs at half time, there have been adapted songs and new ones posted on here, some even sent to the club. Folk have printed out words and handed out sheets, and still it doesn't take off.

It might be traditionalists, it might be tartan rug people, it might just be those who prefer to chant and clap as always.

Me, I will sing out loud with the best of them, but not if I'm the only one doing it amongst the crowd!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Humbo

Post by Humbo »

I have to say that i have reached the end of my teather with the tartan rug brigade. I would like to suggest that anyone who would like to sing should make an effort to get themselves into the terrace, and group together so that there is more of a force when the chosen anthem is sung. I do not want to be shouted down every time i try and sing.

After many years of thought, i feel that the best way to tackle this issue is to choose a song that is very well known and is not hard to learn. It also needs to be one that is not to long.

At the moment i am still contemplating just the seconf verse of Jerusalem, as it is the best verse, and not too long.

If anyone wants to try a new song out, then give me a shout. I will be more than happy to accompany you.
Andy Goode wrote the Bible, and Sam Vesty replaced Jesus!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Humbo wrote:I have to say that i have reached the end of my tether with the tartan rug brigade.
Are we advocating euthanasia? :smt002
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

BJ. wrote: I've just bought a new air rifle this morning to keep the starlings down. :smt067
Good move BJ. Hitler failed to keep Stalin down, and look what happened to him.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Started last year versus Cardiff at home and sung at a few home games (usually when we are winning ) - we in the middle of the terrace strike up with

Leicester Tigers
Leicester Tigers
we still want you to score more
to score more
we stillwant you to score more

to the tune of Bread of heaven - it stated as a bit of a pi.. take out of the welshies

we usually get it going quite welland loud enough for me to have heard it on the telly

The other one I think we should adopt is from the Lions tour of '97

oh i'd rather be a Lion than a Bok - to the tune of coming round the mountain

adapted to - Oh i'd rather be a Tiger than a Wasp

this could obviously be changed to Baath, Glaas, Saint whatever fitted the occasion and sung of course in a mocking tone

I'm all for it - all of it - bring it on the more the better

Get rid of the tartan ruggers bring in another 5,000 youngsters into the new capacity and lets get singing jumping stamping chanting shouting and generally letting the team know they are the best supported team in the country not let them have to guess it for themselves
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

WhitecapTiger wrote: I'm in agreement with you to a degree but be prepared to be slapped down, bundled into a car boot wrapped in a tartan rug/blanket and kept in a soundproof room for weeks on end, with little headroom to prevent you standing up at excitement points and if you're really lucky you may get fed a paltry amount of soup (or bovril/coffee/tea etc) at irregular intervals from a shiny thermos flask for suggesting such heresey :smt002 :smt002
Quality :smt005
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

Anything would be nice. What exactly do the tartan rug brigade have a problem with though. Are they afraid of singing football type songs or something? If you think about it, the clap clap tigers chant is straight off the football terraces anyway. May I suggest if something new is tried then at first it should be simple. It will be tough enough getting a new short song going let alone something with a bit of thought behind it. Come on you greens or come on you boys in green (like Leinster) are ok. Not saying they should be the ones, just using short and sweet examples.
Leicester, born, bred and proud of it.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

OK, well to appease the tartan ruggers, I've plundered the lyrics of Andy's Tartan Army's song which accompanied the Scottish football team to Argentina in 1978.

“We’re on the march wi’ Cocker’s Army, We’re going tae gay Paris, And we’ll really shake them up, When we win the Heineken Cup, ‘Cos Tigers is the greatest rugby team.

We’re representing England, And we’re gaunny do or die, Wasps cannae dae it, ‘Cos they didnae qualify!”
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

to the tune of liverpool's "we won it five times"

the wasps are not there
the wasps are not therrrrrre
next years h cup
the wasps are not there

ho diddly ho :smt005 :smt005
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
jolou
Tiger Cub

Post by jolou »

we need something we can belt out to drown out the oppositions` chants / songs
jolou
milky
Tiger Cub

Post by milky »

mightymouse wrote:Oh i'd rather be a Tiger than a Wasp

this could obviously be changed to Baath, Glaas, Saint whatever fitted the occasion and sung of course in a mocking tone
heh I like that! :smt003
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

Easy one to really belt out:
T I G
E R S
Leicester Tigers are the best

Not sure of the base tune but if you think about finishing it off along the lines of nik knack paddy wack you should get the gist
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind