Geordan Murphy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Geordan Murphy

Post by Chobbsy »

This has probably been covered years ago, but I really would like to know what it is that makes Geordan such a cult HERO with us, commentators and rugby fans all over the world but not with international coaches (including the current Lions coaching team).

Schalk Berger said the other day on the TV that Boks were over the moon the Geordan hadn't been picked for the Lions as he is the one man they fear.

Like many others I don't understand ... (nothing new there really)
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
BrumJim2

Re: Geordan Murphy

Post by BrumJim2 »

Many, many years ago, a young Irishman arrived in Leicester from Naas, just down the road from the streets of fair Dublin (courtesy of Bob Dwyer and a certain record points scorer, IIRC).

He served his apprenticeship in the junior ranks. His playing style reminded fans of Dusty Hare - equally capable of launching a devastating attack, and causing heart failure by taking the silly option instead.

As he drew older, the heart-attack moments diminished in number, but he still retained his eye for that moment of genius which could unlock an otherwise un-penetrable defence.

Despite being advised otherwise, Geordan stayed in England playing for Leicester Tigers. Coaches hinted, suggested, and outright stated that only those playing in Ireland would be selected for Ireland, but Geordan had become a Tiger through-and-through, and would not be swayed. Geordan gave us all of his best playing moments, and despite an horrific injury, came back stronger, wiser, and no less committed.

We all admire and love a brave heart, and some of the more breathtaking moments at Welford Road come when an opposition kicker sticks the ball high into the Leicester sky. Underneath it is Geordan, and coming up fast like a re-directed train to London, is the opposition pack. No matter how big or fast they are, this slightly built Irishman never takes his eye off the ball, rising to meet the ovoid as it plunges earthwards. His big toe has scarcely touched the hallowed turf when he is knocked backwards by a premature re-development wrecking ball. Often as not, the ball gets recycled to the Leicester backs, but even if it doesn't, the next time a garryowen gets sent down the pitch towards our full back slot, there he is again, still unflinching in his desire to take that ball down, and see it used to launch another counter-attack.

And, take note Mr Cipriani, despite rumours of fall-outs with coaches, and despite being ignored by selectors far too many times, when do you see him running to the press complaining about unfair treatment?
"And I've been supporting them every year since 1978."
"So you are a fair weather fan, then."
"Yes, I suppose!"
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

For me, it was the look on the face of a little lad clutching a signed programme after the Premiership final - Geordan not only taking time to sign, have a photo taken, but also to focus his attention on the lad, chat about what rugby the little boy was playing, encourage him to keep it up and then ruffle his hair - before moving on to the next person. He is a truly generous man off the pitch, and a true Tiger on it.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

Rizzo wrote:For me, it was the look on the face of a little lad clutching a signed programme after the Premiership final - Geordan not only taking time to sign, have a photo taken, but also to focus his attention on the lad, chat about what rugby the little boy was playing, encourage him to keep it up and then ruffle his hair - before moving on to the next person. He is a truly generous man off the pitch, and a true Tiger on it.
Ditto Rizzo. A true gentleman illustrated again when he gestured to Martin Corry to lift the Guinness Premeirship trophy at HQ. I just hope that Leicester do themselves justice in Edinburgh and lift that Heineken Cup so high that even I in Bedford can see it.

GEORDAN MURPHY - A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS

:smt026 :smt026
Philip J Gray
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Rizzo wrote:For me, it was the look on the face of a little lad clutching a signed programme after the Premiership final - Geordan not only taking time to sign, have a photo taken, but also to focus his attention on the lad, chat about what rugby the little boy was playing, encourage him to keep it up and then ruffle his hair - before moving on to the next person. He is a truly generous man off the pitch, and a true Tiger on it.
Yeah likewise I have a FANTASTIC photo of my 7 month old grandson with Lewis holding him on the pitch after Saturday's match, its fantastic
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

It irked me when King Carlos was lauded by Barnes & co for an overhead kick for the Saints which led to a try. This was a trick that Austin had done previously for England, but he had copied it from Geordan in a Tigers shirt!!
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

The first time I managed to get my missus to come with me to WR was the semi against London Irish in 2006, and he scored a wonderful try after kicking the ball up in to his hands from the floor on the run. She has been to see Tigers more than 10 times since then. :smt003

A true gentleman, and also my backline hero. I don't care what Barnes and co say: George Best was the Geordan Murphy of Football :smt002
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

murphy15 wrote:The first time I managed to get my missus to come with me to WR was the semi against London Irish in 2006, and he scored a wonderful try after kicking the ball up in to his hands from the floor on the run. She has been to see Tigers more than 10 times since then. :smt003

A true gentleman, and also my backline hero. I don't care what Barnes and co say: George Best was the Geordan Murphy of Football :smt002
To be fair, Barnes really rates him, its only The Irish and Lion's coaches who seem not to
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

Easily the most intelligent full back on earth.
He's just a class apart.
murphy15
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by murphy15 »

murphy15 wrote:
The first time I managed to get my missus to come with me to WR was the semi against London Irish in 2006, and he scored a wonderful try after kicking the ball up in to his hands from the floor on the run. She has been to see Tigers more than 10 times since then. :smt003

To be fair, Barnes really rates him, its only The Irish and Lion's coaches who seem not to
You misunderstand me - Barnes likes to agree with the notion that GM is the George Best of Rugby...
Ka mate, ka mate! Ka ora! ka ora!
Ka mate! Ka mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tçnei te tangata pûhuruhuru
Nâna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te râ
A upa ... ne! ka upa ... ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Hugonaut
Tiger Cub

Post by Hugonaut »

Geordan Murphy is a quality player alright, and a Tigers legend, but to say that Ireland have ignored him is fairly misrepresentative - firstly, he's got 63 caps [granted, not all at them were at full back] and had two serious injuries, one of which ruled him out of a World Cup. As he has said himself, if not for those injuries, he would probably have 80 caps by now.

Secondly, he's played in direct opposition to Girvan Dempsey, almost certainly the most defensively sound full back in terms of dependability, positioning, tackling, ball retention and error count that Ireland have had in the last four decades.

For large parts of their respective careers, Murphy showed up Dempsey's lack of adventure and ability in attack; similarly, Dempsey showed up Murphy's weak tackling, unreliability and occasionally erroneous judgement in defense.

Eddie O'Sullivan was a conservative coach, and he varied between the two, ultimately more or less siding with the more consistent, if less gifted, Dempsey. For large portions of his career, Murphy was unable to reproduce the standard that he showed in a Tigers' jersey when he stepped up to international level - in other games, he's been the best Irish player on the pitch.

Murphy is showing great form at the moment, and in my opinion was unlucky to lose out on a touring spot in the Lions, as he has played significantly better than Rob Kearney in the last three months.

With that said, beyond the IRFU's statement that they preferred that Irish players play in Ireland [recently echoed by the RFU regarding English players playing in England, if I'm not mistaken], there was no big agenda against Murphy in Irish selection. He had plenty of shots at full back and couldn't nail down his place.

That would be my, and many Irish rugby fans', view of Geordan Murphy. Not denying that he's a Tiger legend and an absolutely first rate full back, but too inconsistently showed at international level what he does week in, week out at club level.
wee-young'un

Post by wee-young'un »

I have to agree Geordan never really produced the same form consistently for us in an international jersey which was a pity really because when he did turn on the style and flair it was awesome to watch. He deserved more game-time than what he got in and Irish shirt this year, Kearney has been on a bit of a downturn since match one against France....

I'm delighted though that he's at a club that truly has made him one of your own, Leinsters own loss for letting him slip through. An amazing player and I think there may be a reason why McGeechan has delayed naming Halfpennys replacement. I know there is alot pitched against him but it wouldn't surprise me it he was named if he plays well today.
Despite the fact that I would like to see Leinster win their first after hammering us off the park, I think it would be far more fitting for Geordan Murphy to lift the cup with Corry. I hope ye get another couple of year out of him.
amber

Geordan Murphy

Post by amber »

geordan why did geordon go off
eales92
Tiger Cub

Post by eales92 »

think it may have been a leg or knee injury? to be brutally honest, he had a poor game anyway and scotty did well at full-back other than the error when he slipped over into touch in our 22
Hipkiss is King
Juan Martin Hernandez Come On Down :)
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

eales92 wrote:think it may have been a leg or knee injury? to be brutally honest, he had a poor game anyway and scotty did well at full-back other than the error when he slipped over into touch in our 22
Disagree completly he had a great day under the high ball and was reliable as always