Immediate thoughts .......Proud of our boys

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Immediate thoughts .......Proud of our boys

Post by smalldell »

I feel if we had a week off we would have been better. Also, with the Magners league introducing play off I suspect they will be more tired in the coming years at the end of the season...
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

Brilliant effort from all the lads. So proud of their bravery, spirit and skill.

But maybe this shows that, no matter how strong in depth a squad is, there are just too many games for English teams to play in order to win the two big trophies. So any talk of adding more games to the season should be dropped now.

I also wonder what effect it will have on the international tour players, both during the tournaments around the world, and on their readiness for our next season.

It's a shame that one of our most successful teams in recent years is being broken up; let's hope that next season's squad can emulate what we have enjoyed this season.
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Injuries killed us! proud of you.

Post by Cliffeclimber »

I agree that the injuries yesterday disrupted our game plan.

HOwever, I was a little surprised that Geordan was playing at all yesterday as his dad said that he'd got a scratched eyeball from the week before and had to wear an eye patch all week to protect it.

This probably explains his missed kicks and why he left the field early yesterday.
Aragon Tiger

Post by Aragon Tiger »

Ian Cant wrote:The team did us proud and I cannot believe how unlucky we have been with injuries. Well done Leinster for holding their nerve but with Murphy and Crane both off by the start of the second half,Flood and Mauger out, the Final was a step too far. Bring on next season and I'm looking forward to seeing Ben Youngs play more games as I felt we lacked his spark yesterday but accept Dupuy had to play to kick- not that we got any kickable penalties!! A great season considering the awful rugby we played till Cockers took over.
I agree with you, They aren't iron man, it's normal at the end, they were tired, and injuried, by we have to be honest, Leinster played well and they were a little best than us.
Well, we have to think, Tigers won Guinness Cup, and Our boys are The English Champion, this season has been a good season, and.... Next season could be even better :smt026
Congratulations Tigers It doesn't matter if you lost yesterday,
You won 16-5-2009.

:smt041
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Injuries amoung the backs certainly effected the decision making. Mauger's chronic back injury needs to be thought about for next season, will he be able to play a full season?
Tigers also need a top-notch goal kicker.

Under the circumstances a great season.
Tweentown

Post by Tweentown »

A great effort by the team and despite parts of our game not on song a game we still nearly won. In the last 20 the team did look exhausted. We should not forget that with the structure of the current English season to win both trophies would be an amazing achievement.

Perhaps now is not the time to pick out individuals as it's been a great team effort all round, but I'll just share the independent comments of a couple of Leinster fans we chatting with as we came away from Murrayfield:

Dan Hipkiss - what a player, should be a Lion - he completely outplayed both of our (ie Leinster's) centres;

Ben Woods - never seen him before but you've got a match for Jennings there and no one in Leinsters team would have scored that try.

This has been a season of great improvement and achievement, looking forward to next year. My only concern is that the continual rugby with Lions and national teams over the summer gives little opportunity for much needed rest, but that's the way it is and we just have to get on with it.
Bring back the rolling maul...and they did
Becca
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Becca »

Id just like to say how proud I am of Tigers boys. Id like to congratulate you on winning the Guinness Championship and being Heineken Cup Finalists. Even though we lost to Leinster In the final who would have though a couple of months ago we would have won one final and be In another. I'm proud to call myself a Leicester Tigers fan.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

velvitjester wrote:
TigerS2 wrote:Leicester Tigers are the best team in the British Isles, could have been European Champions, but as their minds were willing, their bodies were just not up to it, AGAIN....
Munster are the best team in the British isles.

Leicester, Leinster and Munster could all claim that title in their different ways. If it had just gone that bit differently, it would have been Leicester's alone. Oh well, you can't fault the guys for effort, and I'd have bitten your hand off if offered Prem champions and HC finalists just after Christmas. Good season which was almost great.

More to the point, I'm starting to think what Cockers and the whole outfit could do with a full pre-season under their belts and a fully fit squad. Really looking forward to next season already! :smt001
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

g wrote:It is not harsh, time and time again when it came to the big game over the last few seasons Tigers have bottled it in the really big games.

Well done to Leinster I'm glad it was someone new other than bloomin Munster and Wasps, who are now champions of europe.

But as the last few seasons have shown 7 consecutive finals and only 3 wins is now showing to me that Tigers "bottle" it when the biggest prize is up for grabs. I would much rather be european champions than "English" premiership champions.

Not taking anything away from Leinster but in the last 2 finals Tigers luckily won one and lost the other.

Right the flak jacket is on.
For pete's sake,G!

This attitude (not just from you) is one of the reasons I rarely use this forum anymore.

If Tigers don't win every trophy then the season is a failure, we need a clear out of players, the coaches must go and the board should be sacked, seems to be the standard response to a loss.
If Tigers were the only team in the competitions, with 100% control over their destiny, then we could reasonably expect to get every trophy.

You seem to be confusing confidence with arrogance.
I know we can win them, you seem to think we will win.
Considering the shambles last season, and the mid season change this season, we should be immensely proud of what they have acheived.

There shouldn't be finger pointing, at Sam or Julien. We lost some go-forward when Crane went off, and then more when Smurf went off. No-one was to blame for that, but we lost two top quality players, one of whom was our captain, and Leinster were able to pinch it.

We were not lucky against Irish. We were tremendous in defence,they were almost as good, and Crane's determination got the try.

Please, come out of your grump, remember that we did a double the season before last when we were trying for a treble, and think on Worcester, Newcastle, London Irish, Bristol and Gloucester. When did one of them last win a major trophy?

3 trophys from 6 finals in 3 years is a great record.
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

unohoo wrote:
g wrote:It is not harsh, time and time again when it came to the big game over the last few seasons Tigers have bottled it in the really big games.

Well done to Leinster I'm glad it was someone new other than bloomin Munster and Wasps, who are now champions of europe.

But as the last few seasons have shown 7 consecutive finals and only 3 wins is now showing to me that Tigers "bottle" it when the biggest prize is up for grabs. I would much rather be european champions than "English" premiership champions.

Not taking anything away from Leinster but in the last 2 finals Tigers luckily won one and lost the other.

Right the flak jacket is on.
For pete's sake,G!

This attitude (not just from you) is one of the reasons I rarely use this forum anymore.

If Tigers don't win every trophy then the season is a failure, we need a clear out of players, the coaches must go and the board should be sacked, seems to be the standard response to a loss.
If Tigers were the only team in the competitions, with 100% control over their destiny, then we could reasonably expect to get every trophy.

You seem to be confusing confidence with arrogance.
I know we can win them, you seem to think we will win.
Considering the shambles last season, and the mid season change this season, we should be immensely proud of what they have acheived.

There shouldn't be finger pointing, at Sam or Julien. We lost some go-forward when Crane went off, and then more when Smurf went off. No-one was to blame for that, but we lost two top quality players, one of whom was our captain, and Leinster were able to pinch it.

We were not lucky against Irish. We were tremendous in defence,they were almost as good, and Crane's determination got the try.

Please, come out of your grump, remember that we did a double the season before last when we were trying for a treble, and think on Worcester, Newcastle, London Irish, Bristol and Gloucester. When did one of them last win a major trophy?

3 trophys from 6 finals in 3 years is a great record.
Cracking post, mate.

No doubt many fans of many different clubs feel the same as me, but as far as I'm concerned, I am a fan of the greatest club rugby side in the world. Some people might find that arrogant, not a problem. I've always been and always will be very proud to call myself a Leicester Tigers fan.

Keep the faith.
Leicester, born, bred and proud of it.
wee-young'un

Post by wee-young'un »

Ya every fan would say that! :smt023

Felt sorry for the Leicester Boys yesterday but they were simply out on their feet for the last 20 which was a pity... Leinster had a nice easy couple of weeks before yesterday, while yer boys had bruising encounters...
I wouldn't question their motivation and I certainly do not think they bottled it. Ye had lost 2 leaders at a pivotal time yesterday and I have to admit i'm baffled why Woods was called ashore and why Cockers didn't empty the bench for the last 10 as it was quite obvious that the fuel tank was beginning to register empty. Think Johne Murphy would have made a difference yesterday coming on Smith didn't really do much...

Fair play though the 2nd half of the season has shown that the Tigers have still massive heart and spirit, there aren't too many teams around who could have turned their domestic season around so brilliantly in possibly the most competitve domestic league in the world and then turned around the following week and contest the final for the greatest club competition in the NH and the world. A nice rest now and who know what ye'll do next year! :smt028
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Doesn't it all come down to perspective? (and sorry, but posters such as g seem to have totally lost theirs)

Tigers have had a roller-coaster of a season, which culminated in two finals, one we narrowly won, and one we have just narrowly lost. What other club wouldn't be proud of that achievement?

Loads of games this season have been so close, and in most we have had the belief, energy, skill, and luck to pull through. Yesterday was a game too far, and we narrowly lost out to a better side on the day. Congratulations to Leo, and his team.

O.K. it's hard to take, but all associated with the club should be proud.
It's now time to take stock on a good season; to say cheers to some departing Tigers; strengthen the squad; take a well-earned break, and look forward to next season with optimism.

I don't necessarily go for all "the best club in the world" stuff, but I am really happy to be a Tigers fan.
milky
Tiger Cub

Post by milky »

... happy Tigers fan here also, proud of them all!
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

MurphysLaw wrote:
I don't necessarily go for all "the best club in the world" stuff, but I am really happy to be a Tigers fan.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Tigers ARE the best club side in the world. To me they are, that's all. :smt001
Duggan

Post by Duggan »

wee-young'un wrote:Ya every fan would say that! :smt023

Felt sorry for the Leicester Boys yesterday but they were simply out on their feet for the last 20 which was a pity... Leinster had a nice easy couple of weeks before yesterday, while yer boys had bruising encounters...
I wouldn't question their motivation and I certainly do not think they bottled it. Ye had lost 2 leaders at a pivotal time yesterday and I have to admit i'm baffled why Woods was called ashore and why Cockers didn't empty the bench for the last 10 as it was quite obvious that the fuel tank was beginning to register empty. Think Johne Murphy would have made a difference yesterday coming on Smith didn't really do much...

Fair play though the 2nd half of the season has shown that the Tigers have still massive heart and spirit, there aren't too many teams around who could have turned their domestic season around so brilliantly in possibly the most competitve domestic league in the world and then turned around the following week and contest the final for the greatest club competition in the NH and the world. A nice rest now and who know what ye'll do next year! :smt028
Said plenty of congratulations to Leinster fans after the game yesteday, but not said so on here yet.

Congratulations to Leinster and all of their supporters. Worthy winners of this years competition. We'll be gunning for yer next year boys.
:smt002