Cips blames Johnno

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GS
Super User
Super User

Cips blames Johnno

Post by GS »

So, the serial training ground scrapper thinks that nasty Martin Johnson is wrong in not picking him for the England squad. Cipriani thinks his form has been good enough and Johnno's judgement is wrong.

The point is, my dear boy, that Johnno doesn't want the sort of mardy bum that goes crying to the press to moan about not being picked in his team. It may well be the way you do things at Wasps, but not for England. If I was Johnno I'd have him in for a dressing down and drop him from the Saxons. It only takes one bad apple.........
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Cips blames Johnno

Post by rocktop51 »

The man has delusions of adequacy !! Someone should take him on one side (and as well as beat the c*^p out of him ) and advise him to keep his mouth shut, put in the hard yards and then let his rugby do the talking. Seems we now have an English Henson. Please please dont let him get called up for the Lions or we'll never hear the end of it.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Adamspoon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Adamspoon »

I'm assuming you're referring to this BBC piece:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/default.stm

This entire story is based around this Cipriani quote:

"I thought my form was good enough in the last part of the season," he said.
"But you have to back the coach's decision and go out with the Saxons and put your marker down."

There's absolutely nothing wrong with him saying that, and it's hardly him 'blaming' Johno!

The press, particularly the BBC, seem to be even more obsessed by him than usual recently. Every story has to be about Cipriani, like his omission from the England Squad rather than the 6 new caps for example, but that's hardly his fault!
The bloke is definitely irritating but that's neither here nor there. He seems to have accepted his omission from the England team reasonably well, he hasn't been whinging about it as some seem to suggest.
Whatever you think about him as a player (and I personally still think he will be an excellent England international one day, probably soon) I don't think people should blame him for the media circus which follows him around.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Adamspoon wrote:The press, particularly the BBC, seem to be even more obsessed by him than usual recently.
Correct. He should probably learn to turn down the odd interview and take silent for a while, but it will be the press who go to him for a quote and not the other way around.

I saw not much wrong with his latest comments.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I started the thread based on an article on Radio 4's sport report, the gist of which was the basis of my first post. If the article was based on the fuller quotes above then perhaps he will learn a valuable lesson when talking to the press. The most valuable is don't. Another one is when you sup with the devil use a long spoon.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

The press like a good soundbite, especially one they can manipulate. I can't say I rate him as a player, but maybe they need Cipriania now they've lost the Lol to harass for quotes (as they always used to do, it was rarely HIM approaching the press to hoold forth, despite what many people think...).

Of course he "blames" Johnno - he knows where the decisions were made - but it's in the same way as I "blame" my boss for not giving me a raise this year - "blame" but perfectly understandable.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
tac106

Post by tac106 »

Adamspoon is absolutely right. When the England squad was announced there was nothing about the new caps and world cup winners being rewarded with returns to form but, instead, it was all Cipriani's omission.

The press obssession with him is becomign farcical. Look at the BBC rugby page this morning; what is the main story? Cipriani's apparent 'outburst'. Not the Heineken Cup final taking place tomorrow, not the Lions and recent injuries and not the disgraceful goings on at Bath. The journalism on that site has been shocking of late. Really poor.

On another Wasps note though. I am shocked that James Haskell hasn't come out and bemoaned his omission from the Lions. There's not even been any mention of him in the papers. They're usually as obsessed with him as they are with Cipriani.
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

Interesting chat on Rugby Club last night. Im getting the feeling more and more that a lot of the rugby journo's cant stand Cipriani, regardless of his talent. Will Greenwood appears to hate the guy, saying he shouldnt have been in either squad (then again, he did point out that having a pin in your ankle is never good and would be better to take that out and give him a full preseason for next year!)

Whats most annoying about the whole thing is that there are better fly halfs in the country at the moment. Future talent isnt something which should decide a squad, within reason.
#48 FTW :)
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Now Lewsey has retired, maybe MJ can find a role for him, in kicking (literally) the little begger (Cipriani) into shape. As a thankyou to Josh's foir all his efforts.

Maybe he can teach him some etiquette and be a true example for what Cipriani could hope to be :smt002
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

He could of course just say "No Comment"
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

drc_007 wrote:He could of course just say "No Comment"
and let his performances on the pitch do the talking. By appearing to court media attention he encourages the view that celebrity motivates him rather than the honour of representing club and country.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

I posted this:
Crivvens wrote:
As an aside, I have it on good authority that Cipriani won't be picked to play for England again as long as Johnno is in charge.
Now normally the person who told me this is reliable. However, I can't see Johnno not picking Cipriani if he's playing the best rugby of hs career. He'd be cutting his nose off to spite his face.
a while ago. Seems to be ringing true....

Not wishing to blow my own trumpet but I also posted this:
Crivvens wrote:I have it on very good authority that Sam will be in the England squad this summer.
a couple of weeks ago.

I have good sources it seems..better than Heinz and Daddies combined :smt023
Blimey...
chezbob
Tiger Cub

Post by chezbob »

could someone not just tell cipriani to grow up!! that seems to be the main issue
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

While I don't agree with what he has said, we don't know what he was asked that lead to that comment. A question along the lines of 'do you think your form was good enough to have been selected' would have revealed an answer a like the one he gave. He just needs to learn how to answer questions better giving the press an answer, but not having it sound like he is throwing his toys out the pram. I think he should take a leaf out of BOD's book and if he is asked a question he is not sure how to answer then he should answer in a werid line about tomatoes and fruit salads.
The media (and in particular the BBC) are as much to blame as he is. In the past 4 days there has been 3 stories about him on the beeb website (not inculding JG column) and a further 3 last week. I said this in the england squad thread
P.S I can't help but be a bit dissappointed with the beeb, focusing on Cipriani, a player who has not made the squad, than on the six uncapped players who have been called up. Why focus on not achieving than on achivement)

Unforunately he has not learnt how to answer questions very well, and with the amount he is asked, you would expect a stupid/controversal answer along the way. This leads to him becoming a media figure and is asked more questions and therefore the cycle is complete.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

It's probably about time to resurrect the term "choad", and apply it to our young be-bum-fluffed Wycombe friend. Or maybe "choadsmoker".