What's the best way to drive to Murrayfield?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigermike

What's the best way to drive to Murrayfield?

Post by tigermike »

Hi as a first time visitor to Murrayfield i am looking to drive up early saturday morning and going M1 A1 and staying over in Musselburgh got B&B sorted so looking forward to the game and a night on the town in Edinburgh after the game .Any other ideas on say M6?.
:drinkers: :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Owly tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: What's the best way to drive to Murrayfield?

Post by Owly tiger »

Having done it earlier in the year, both ways are much of a muchness, although the M6 may be slightly quicker thanks to the motorway going all the way rather than A Roads. It depends whether you fancy a scenic route through the Lake District, or a scenic route along the North East cost.
Oadbylad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Oadbylad »

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=ig&hl=en&tab=wl
As an ex driver ....do not go up the A1/M1 after Newcastle its :censored:
tigermike

Post by tigermike »

Thanks for the advice there 's not much to choose in the times on the route planners but i might go via Jedburgh and leave the M6 for the trip home and take in the lakes then.How come the A1 is censored?is it really that bad?or just to many speed camera's
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

Moderators are not at home to Mr Sweary.

A1 north of Newcastle is slow, choked with local traffic and heavily policed re speed limits that are conservative to say the least.
tigermike

Post by tigermike »

Its that bad is it, maybe a rethink is in order as we want to get to the B&B and then have plenty of time to soak up the atmosphere in Edinburgh before the game.ps will be in a little silver bullet complete with flags but no tartan rugs :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
ashbash

Post by ashbash »

I'll be heading up the A1 to Darlington then cutting across to Penrith before heading up the M6, anyone know if the reoad between Darlington and Penrith is ok? Only 50 miles or so i think.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I need to also work out the best way as I have never been to Scotland. I will be doing lots of driving over that weekend as not only have I got to drive up to Edinburgh I am also going to the Rugby Sevens at Twickenham on the Sunday which starts at 11am. Not much sleep for I would'nt have thought! :smt015
tigermike

Post by tigermike »

I don't know about the A66 but i went on the A65 last year i know its just south of it and was full of speed camera's and a road to avoid loads of accident black spots on it so i think the A66 will have the same problems
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Just head north until you can't understand what people are saying :smt023
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Will S wrote:Just head north until you can't understand what people are saying :smt023
In which case, he might not get past Worksop. :smt003
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
scouse tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by scouse tiger »

Drive up to Edinburgh area very regulary (at least once a month these days) and found the best route going is up the A50/M6 to Hamilton then across the M8. Its a about 30 miles further than the east coast route but less hassle I ve found.

The alternative eastern route is M1/A1 to the A68 , then up the A68 over Carter Bar to Edinburgh , just have to watch all the speed camreas on the A68 all the way through the Borders to Edinburgh, must be about 20 of them on that stretch.
My Wild Oats Have turned to Shredded Wheat
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

On a Tigers coach, no stress and driver can make choice of route. i can enjoy scenery which ever way we go!! :smt023 :smt023 A few :drinkers: :drinkers: on the way up!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
tigergirl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by tigergirl »

We're taking the western route up - on M6 - on Saturday morning, staying the night at Haddington - East of Edinburgh- and then taking the scenic coastal route down through Northumberland along the coast on the Sunday. Hoping for some sunny weather to re-live childhood summer holiday haunts at Seahouses and Beadnell.
tigermike

Post by tigermike »

Thanks for the advice scouse tiger, was looking at the A68 route but as for wiggo's kind suggestion of the tigers coach i will respectfully pass on that one thanks after our trip back from Cardiff ,so we are going on our little road trip and look forward to see you all at Murrayfield . :drinkers: :drinkers: :smt041 :smt041 :smt041