What's the best way to drive to Murrayfield?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: What's the best way to drive to Murrayfield?

Post by WiggoTiger »

tigermike wrote:Thanks for the advice scouse tiger, was looking at the A68 route but as for wiggo's kind suggestion of the tigers coach i will respectfully pass on that one thanks after our trip back from Cardiff ,so we are going on our little road trip and look forward to see you all at Murrayfield . :drinkers: :drinkers: :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Bad trip was it???? |We got to Cardiff within 3 and 1/2 hours with a stop and we were back at WR by 10pm even with M5 being shut...we came via villages and then A46.

Enjoy your journey tigermike :smt023 :smt023
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I would recommend that you stay in the left hand lane except when overtaking.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Once the A1 becomes a single carriageway, watch out. They have speed cameras that are more sensitive than a modern romantic poet.

I'm sure I was doing spot on 60 mph but got pinged when I moved forward in my seat.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Iain D »

I like the scenic route better, although it is slower. If you are going through Jedburgh make sure you have enough petrol (there's not many places to fill up on that way through). Oh, and do watch out for all the speed cameras. There's one approximately every 3 miles along that stretch.

If you just want to blast it up there and back, its tough to beat the M69 / M6 / M8 combination...
tigermike

Post by tigermike »

We had a great trip down to Cardiff but on the way back we didn't stop because of the M5 being shut so i ended doing silly walks back to the car. Wiggo enjoy the scenery and the :drinkers: who cares how we all get there as long as we all have a great weekend and plenty of fun on Saturday night :smt001 :ps the missus is doing the first driving stint on sunday :smt043
gimme
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by gimme »

Wiggo Tiger, I`m with you mate, hope we`re on the same coach, look out for me and the hat.
Ellis9..............Are you MAD ? take much care mate, that`s a load of driving and you might get tired, good luck and good fortune, May the 4th b with u..
COME ON YOU TIGERS
that`s me. gme. let your fingers do the walking
Roll on Christmas, let`s have some nuts
AND
(don`t forget Sheila`s bread pudding)
publandlord
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by publandlord »

drive to your nearest regional airport, and GET ON A PLANE!!!!
deema1

Post by deema1 »

You paying???
publandlord
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by publandlord »

deema1 wrote:You paying???
living in Norfolk we are 25 years behind the times, therefore the credit crunch will not be upon us until 2034, so i had no hesitation in booking and paying for a flight to Edinburgh from our lovely ickle airport in Norwich. However to pay for you city dwellers oi aint to shure.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

A66 is pretty good nowadays - dual carriageway for a lot of it. Bank holiday weekend though, you may well get a fair few caravans / mobile homes going up on the Saturday (or Friday night) and back on the Monday...

I drive to/from the West of Scotland from Lincs so the A66 is sensible - not sure whether that'd be the case to/from Edinburgh.

For anyone going to Falkirk/Glasgow I'd definitely recommend that route (A1 then A66) unless you're coming from Brum/Manc.
Owly tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Owly tiger »

Iain D wrote:I like the scenic route better, although it is slower. If you are going through Jedburgh make sure you have enough petrol (there's not many places to fill up on that way through). Oh, and do watch out for all the speed cameras. There's one approximately every 3 miles along that stretch.

If you just want to blast it up there and back, its tough to beat the M69 / M6 / M8 combination...
Or the M1/A50/M6, as it avoids Birmingham, and the roads can be stupidly busy around there (unless you take the toll art of the M6)
hexham Tiger

Post by hexham Tiger »

If you use the M1, take the M18, and then the A1 it saves 10 ,miles although it is only duel carrigeway.

There are roadworks on the M1 between J25 & J29, and A1 at wetherby which both have cameras, some small ones at J59.

Watch the A1 as although no fixed cameras there are often police in cars with cameras.

The only bit to watch then is the ringraod round Newcastle due to the traffic at the Metro centre.

Once you see the angel its about 2 and a half hours

If travelling friday night its a nighmare journey, trust me I have done it enough.

For once its good to live up north, only an hour on the train!!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The fella who asked the original question is staying in Musselborough, which is on the east side. For this reason I would not use the M6.

I was speaking to my friend in Perth the other day who does this journey reularly - He agrees with me - the way I always go is M1 A1 and at Morpeth you take the A697 through Coldstream to Dalkieth/Dreghorn - turn whichever way you nmeed on the ring road.

One small issue does now have cameras so you can't tank like you used to but it is still a good way

Problem is Bank hol weekend - it could be a nightmare whichever way you go! - I'm leaving at midday on Friday - hopefully just time for a few early evening snifters on Rose Street
Oadbylad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Oadbylad »

tigermike wrote:Thanks for the advice there 's not much to choose in the times on the route planners but i might go via Jedburgh and leave the M6 for the trip home and take in the lakes then.How come the A1 is censored?is it really that bad?or just to many speed camera's
Its a naughty word lol after Newcastle there lots of single track roads , some nice views but i was at work so just wanted to get there and back
i would think the time difference a lot more 1 hour 1/2 me thinks
if you go from Leicester up the M1 on to the A50 at J24 past Stokes ground to the island at the bottom of the hill do a right up the A500 ( new road) brings you out at J16 M6 up on to the M77 leave onto the A77( forget which J) then the B764 to cut the corner onto the M8 350 miles if my memory serves me right
best of luck
tigermike

Post by tigermike »

Thanks for that Mightymouse we are leaving at about 4.30am and it think the A1makes the most sense and i have satnav for speed cameras hopefully traffic will not be to manic, but will be paying Rose street a visit over the weekend . :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: