Croft Replaces Quinlan

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Timbo15
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Croft Replaces Quinlan

Post by Timbo15 »

With the law on mauls being lifted for the tour it increases hipkiss' chances to sneak in with his unrivalled ability to stand up in the tackle, allowing players to latch onto him. A forwards dream and a potent attacking weapon. However, I just cannot see him being picked.
simparms

Post by simparms »

LessThanSte wrote:Should have been picked in the first place. Should have been starting the tests in the first place!

If i was Croft id be genuinely half tempted to make myself unavailable for the tour by simply shunning McGeechan's advances - to serve the selection commitee right for probably the worst selection decision and omission since Backy was left out of the england team all those years ago. How can someone who was down to start at 6 in the test team in the overwhelming majority of rugby pundits and fans alike XV's be left out.

Lets hope he has yet another two awesome games on the big stage and show the world yet again that he can do things that no other professional in the game can
SiMpArMs - Tigers for life
Red Cap

Post by Red Cap »

simparms wrote:
LessThanSte wrote:Should have been picked in the first place. Should have been starting the tests in the first place!

If i was Croft id be genuinely half tempted to make myself unavailable for the tour by simply shunning McGeechan's advances - to serve the selection commitee right for probably the worst selection decision and omission since Backy was left out of the england team all those years ago. How can someone who was down to start at 6 in the test team in the overwhelming majority of rugby pundits and fans alike XV's be left out.

Lets hope he has yet another two awesome games on the big stage and show the world yet again that he can do things that no other professional in the game can

I hardly think he is likely to cut of his nose to spite his face. A chance to play for the lions is the zenith of a pros career
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Unlike the selectors Crofty has morals.

He wouldn't shun Lions selectors, as he performs for the shirt he puts on, for the pride of it, and the pride of club, country and unified nations.

His best bet is to prove them wrong in performing on the field, that they were wrong to ovrlook him in their initial selection
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Stuart Kirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart Kirk »

What odds on Croft starting the first test?
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Stuart Kirk wrote:What odds on Croft starting the first test?
.... in the 2nd row. :smt002
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

In the front [edit - oops! meant 2nd] row? Almost nil unless POC is injured - the two of them together would be too light IMHO against the Bok pack. Fine at 6 but would need to be alongside a DOC or Hines in the 2nd row.

At 6 though? Not a bad outside bet, especially with his current run of form.
Last edited by masopa on Thu May 14, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

If Croft is now picked (as he should be) I think he'd have to be selected for and subsequently play brilliantly in the mid-week team to get on the bench for any of the test teams. I just think that since he wasn't picked in the original squad, it suggests that McGeechan rates all the other flankers and 2nd rowers over Croft. I doubt he'll start the first test. He might not even get on the bench for it because they'll start with plan A which is obviously physicality. He's got a better chance of getting onto the bench if the Lions get mullered in the first test and they need to go to plan B. He might start the 3rd test if the Lions get stuffed in both the first two tests and/or he's played better off the bench than the starter.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

I really think he'll make them reconsider their options, and though I'd say he was and outside bet to get into the test team, I wouln't count him out of getting into a 3.

We know the type of player he is, and IMHO it's only the clearly biased near-sightedness of Geech and Edwards that he didn't get into the squad initially. Hopefully input from the other coaches will at last make them see sense
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
HongKongTiger

Post by HongKongTiger »

TigersFanForever wrote:Heard some gossip today. Friend of a friend works for Sky and saw the Lions list before it was announced. Croft was on it with a line through his name!! I was rejected literally 15mins before the official announcement. So glad he has made it now! Love him!!! :smt038
Gossip? Come on, spill the beans who, was it?
The South Stand Rocks !
:smt038
ozzie red
Tiger Cub

Post by ozzie red »

are the telegraph picking the lions side now? think i'll wait until it is official before i big up the flying flanker.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

ozzie red wrote:are the telegraph picking the lions side now? think i'll wait until it is official before i big up the flying flanker.
Guardian are saying that it will be made official tomorrow night, after the GP final.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

dailywaffle wrote:
ozzie red wrote:are the telegraph picking the lions side now? think i'll wait until it is official before i big up the flying flanker.
Guardian are saying that it will be made official tomorrow night, after the GP final.
Will have to wait until after the appeal hearing.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

TigersFanForever wrote:Heard some gossip today. Friend of a friend works for Sky and saw the Lions list before it was announced. Croft was on it with a line through his name!! I was rejected literally 15mins before the official announcement. So glad he has made it now! Love him!!! :smt038

I find that hard to believe.

I heard an interview with Geech himself (on 5Live, conducted by Daws) the evening after the announcement & McGeechan said that he had the only copy of the list and that, right up to the announcement itself, the list had been kept safe & hidden inside his jacket pocket.

And that the list had been there ever since it was finalised on the night before the live press conference.

I don't doubt that Croft was still being considered until very late in thhe procedure but I find it highly unlikely that (a) anyone saw the list before it was announced, (b) that Geech only made his final decision minutes before the press conference and (c) the players who only just missed the cut were still be on the team list but crossed out.
Oadbylad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Oadbylad »

dailywaffle wrote:So says the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... uging.html

Cant see this as being true (yet) surely he cant be deselected until he's banned
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8049286.stm
not until the appeal is heard