Low Attendance at Leics V Bath?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

andysum

Low Attendance at Leics V Bath?

Post by andysum »

Am I missing something, or was attendance low last weekend?

It was less than the previous Bath game for a semi, and surely more exciting potential given the closeness of the game before? And with Nick Abandon-the-rules comments on it being 'even stevens' because it was at the Walkers, I'd expect a bumper crowd to prove him wrong?

Your comments or insight will be appreciated!

Incidentally, how much hair spray do you reckon gets used in Baths changing rooms? I blame "Butch" ... ;)
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Re: Low Attendance at Leics V Bath?

Post by dailywaffle »

The 2 x previous GP semi-finals, held at Welford Road, had a combined attendance of less than 25,000.

I would imagine that the club are delighted with a gate of 18,000 plus.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

dailywaffle wrote:The 2 x previous GP semi-finals, held at Welford Road, had a combined attendance of less than 25,000.

I would imagine that the club are delighted with a gate of 18,000 plus.
Concur.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
andysum

Post by andysum »

Fair enough.

I just expected more I guess? Greedy maybe!
I know a lot of clubs would love turnouts like that...

Good value it has to be said. (I'm obviously a plant from the marketing team!!!).
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

I got there a lot later than I would have for a game at WR, about 2:45, and when I approached one of the programme sellers she told me that they'd all sold out - so I'm guessing they printed considerably less than the do for home game.

There also appeared to be a big queue at the ticket office - was there a big walk up crowd on the day?
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

As i've mentioned before: credit crunch, perennial avoiders of the PO's and the cost of two finals, accomodation and travel may have put people off.

Again as sid before the travelling support was dire, hdo they not know their way up the Fosse??? :smt013 :smt013

Or have the Barf fans given up on wins at Leicester full stop!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

WiggoTiger wrote:As i've mentioned before: credit crunch, perennial avoiders of the PO's and the cost of two finals, accomodation and travel may have put people off.

Again as sid before the travelling support was dire, hdo they not know their way up the Fosse??? :smt013 :smt013

Or have the Barf fans given up on wins at Leicester full stop!!
I was there. But as you say there are those who do not favour play offs. Plus was on TV. And Bath, though their attendance was spirited were hardly in quantity.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
RobGale

Post by RobGale »

Caerlyr Osprey wrote: There also appeared to be a big queue at the ticket office - was there a big walk up crowd on the day?
Nope. Big queue (that I was in grr) was due to the club not getting the pre-booked tickets to the Walkers until about half 2.
Red Cap

Post by Red Cap »

As mentioned by numerous posters on here there are some people who do not like and will not go to the play offs. That combined with everyone having to pay for a ticket (albeit reasonanbly priced imo), tends to reduce the attendance. I thought 18000 was a very good crowd in these dark economic days.

In previous years they have attracted 8000 to the play off.

So the draw of Abendendon's hair was quite alluring for some
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Plus it was the 5th time Leicester played Bath this season.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

There's also the "can't be a**sed to buy tickets" syndrome.

In days of old, you could wander up to the ground, lay your money down at the turnstile, and have your laughing-tackle round your pre-match pint 30 minutes before kick-off.

Nowadays most people have season tickets for GP games etc, so it's a similar experience. Turn up, shuffle through, have a beer.

But the whole ticket buying business puts a curse on attendances.

If you look over to the DARK SIDE that we call football, you will notice that the once glorious FA Cup is suffering in a similar way, with some pitiful attendances.

If we revert to the golden era of: turn up, pay at the turnstile, and sit where you like, we'll be up to 20,000 plus, very very easily.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Ginger Tiger

Post by Ginger Tiger »

andysum wrote:Am I missing something, or was attendance low last weekend?

It was less than the previous Bath game for a semi, and surely more exciting potential given the closeness of the game before? And with Nick Abandon-the-rules comments on it being 'even stevens' because it was at the Walkers, I'd expect a bumper crowd to prove him wrong?

Your comments or insight will be appreciated!

Incidentally, how much hair spray do you reckon gets used in Baths changing rooms? I blame "Butch" ... ;)
Also, don't forget supporters sch as myself who won't attend on principle as I consider that we have already won the championship & shouldn't have to do it twice; the more we keep going the more it demonstrates to the RFU that it is justified.

Imagine telling Alex Ferguson he's got to win the football premiership twice!!! :smt067
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Ginger Tiger wrote:I consider that we have already won the championship & shouldn't have to do it twice; the more we keep going the more it demonstrates to the RFU that it is justified.
Honestly. 'Consider' what you like, but it is a fact that we haven't yet won the championship. Maybe you also consider the world to be flat, or the moon to be made of cheese?

As for 'the more we keep going', I think its self-evident to most that those refusing to attend playoff matches are reducing in number. The battle, in case you hadn't noticed, has already been won.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

but it is a fact that we haven't yet won the championship
It is a fact that Tigers have won the League Championship.
It is a fact that they have not won a trophy yet.
It is a fact that Tigers are in the Premiership Final, and aim to win the Premiership, and with it a trophy.

DW why are you continuing with your ridiculous argument? You lost it a week ago. The Tigers website only records the League Champions and the finishing positions of all clubs, as you well know.
deema1

Post by deema1 »

Its sad that we are still having this argument.

If, sorry, when the team approach the podium to lift the Premiership trophy, i'm sure they won't say "sorry,we don't want it. We have already won the premiership".

Unlikely!!! The premiership is not won until the trophy is lifted, which we will do on Saturday, and I can't wait to see it.