Retirement - Martin Corry

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Retirement - Martin Corry

Post by rocktop51 »

There must be something about our captains. Deano, Jonno and Cozza - all gentlemen and modest about their own careers and achievements. True role models whom I respect immensely. :smt039 :smt038 :smt038 :smt041 :smt041
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
tim15

Post by tim15 »

Have always admired and respected the man!, can echo all the great and thoughtful words mentioned already.
Watching him lead out the Tigers this and all the years since Johnno left, a man who applauded the spectators and was always appreciative of comments and banter.
Remembering the Wasps games and the look of intent in his eyes when he walked the men down the stairs to take on the insects-magic!

Favourite memory, after one of our leagues wins he was trying to sneak off the pitch, past the hoards of spectators, shouted "well played Martin Corry!", he was promptly mobbed and it took him ages to get off the look on his face was brilliant. :smt040

My son asked who my favourite player was and i told him Corry and listed all the words mentioned above including integrity!

Good luck to him , his wife and his children and hope we see him again soon, i hope they give him the number 6 peg, Johnno and Back had theirs so why not Martin?????????
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Thank you Cozza - a true great in every sense of the word, both on and off the pitch. Respected the world over. Hopefully you'll stay involved with Tigers, but the game will be a lot poorer without you striding across the turf like a collosus every week.

Good luck in whatever it is you choose in the future. I take my hat off to you.
Blimey...
BeerBitch
Tiger Cub

Post by BeerBitch »

good luck cozza! a true great! fantastic role model!
HongKongTiger

Post by HongKongTiger »

Thanks for the memories :smt035

You have been truly inspiring.
The South Stand Rocks !
:smt038
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

It's hardly surprising his body can't take it anymore - he never shirked a challenge and put his body on the line, week in week out, for Club, Country and the Lions. And he never failed to stand up and take the Press brickbats when England struggled post-2003. As an England player I don't think he's had the respect he deserved. I echo all that has been said on this post, especially the comments made by Longshanks, comparing him to the self-publicising Dayglo.

So long Martin; you're going to be sorely missed. :smt010 :smt010 :smt039 :smt038
Nic

Post by Nic »

Best wishes Martin!

One of the Tigers great players up there with the best.

Much of the present success must have something to do with the tone set on the pitch by players like Corry and Johnson.

He continued a legacy in the pro era started by Johnson, a winning one.

Its ashame his time as England Captain came when both the management and team were so poor.

A proud England and Lions record though.

Any chance we fans could say goodbye at Welford road next season after the opening game? :smt038
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

I just hope he finds a role within the Tigers set up even if he isn't ready to coach. Nobody finer to put in the PR team IMHO. :smt023
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

If you want the measure of the man, take a look at his Official website. It is so typical of the man that when he retired from international duties, he planned to play for Tigers for one more year to help the younger players, adding: "I don't want to be a hindrance". What modesty.

It's been a delight and a rugby education to watch Martin play for us for over a decade. May his retirement be as fulfilling with his family - and that includes his extended Tigers' family.
harry_rocks_yes_he_does
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by harry_rocks_yes_he_does »

Rizzo wrote: It has been done before,I did it for Pat Howard, it takes some editing though as otherwise it can run to 30+ pages with the signatures and user titles etc. I also did it with the thread to Daryl Gibson about his triplets, which I posted to him direct at Glasgow. He replied by email and was overwhelmed by people's messages.
I can certainly do the same for Cozza, but we have to take some time to let everyone add any messages they want to send.
Ok, no worries... was just a thought. Let me know if you decide to go ahead with it and need any help editing messages!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Bumping this up - I shall edit and print out some time next week and deliver to the Club for Cozza's personal attention :smt002

If you want to add your comments, please do it before end of next week.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Well played Cozza, many thanks for all the memories of your career with Tigers, England and the lions. You contributed so much over the years in all aspects, from the highs of being club and country captain to being the simplistic waterboy when injured, sheer brilliance :smt023
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Cozza has always had mission impossible ..... following on from Martin Johnson! As Tigers captain and England captain he was always going to be compared and would always come second.

But Cozza was a legend in his own right as a player and as a person. Everything you want in a playerand a captain - respected, humble, leads by example, doesn't seek the limelight and down to earth.

Danny Cipriani take a leaf out of Cozza's book and you'll be back in the England squad!
Always a Tiger
Raarrr

Post by Raarrr »

Martin Corry
A true warrior, loyal servant of Welford Road and most generous gent. Thank you so much for your years of service and dedication to the game. As a Crumbie Terrace supporter, standing next to the home team dug-out it has been great to see you play over the last 6 years since I have become a season ticket holder.
We will miss you incredibly. Have a rest and spend some time with your family and then please come back to Welford Road, in some capacity, so that these young players coming through can benefit from your experience & knowledge. If they become half the player you are, then Tigers will be a strong team for a many years to come.
Best wishes Cozza, we love you!
Tigers go Raarrr!!!
powderhound

Post by powderhound »

Brought a tear to my eye when he lifted the trophy last saturday, what a great servant he has been for both club and country. we will miss you :smt010