Guscott comments

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

The Ightham Tiger

Guscott comments

Post by The Ightham Tiger »

I know he's ex Bath and all that, but this concluding sentence in his BBC website preview of the match tomorrow is somewhat one sided....

"Bath were drudge a few years ago, while for the last two seasons they have been close to the most all-round team. I feel they have lost games this season they know they should have won, but they will definitely win this one."

He really needs to decide whether he's speaking as an independent pundit or as a Bath mouthpiece. His comments in one of the papers on Monday caused similar indignation for me!

Oooohhh!!!! :smt013
Ask not what your Tigers can do for you, but what you can do for your Tigers
the stig
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Guscott comments

Post by the stig »

he was a great player but he hasnt a clue what he is talking about!
i'm sure he thinks he's welsh as well!!
I dont mind people having there view and i know they have to sell papers but i wonder what they see sometimes they just make it up to sound intresting if teams play youth they say there are to inexperianced if they play experiance they are not looking to the future!! This is because they havent a clue what they are talking about!
stuart barnes and will greenwood on the other hand do, they like to stir the pot up a bit which i find rather humorus to be honest but they know what they are talking about. :smt023
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

It is the same with Dayglo, why bother asking him 'Do you think Wasps will win this weekend?' Same with Stuart Barnes.

It is just the same in wendyball, don't bother asking Mark Lawrenson or Alan Hanson if Liverpool are going to win at the weekend. You already know their opinion. But the worse for wendyball is Jamie Redknap - Tottenham will always win (his dad is the manager) and Liverpool will always win (his ex-team).

Actually the most neutral pundit is Will Greenwood who I think is aware he has bias (towards Tigers and Quins) and tries to compensate.
Always a Tiger
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Sounds a bit like clairvoyancy - a few statements that can be applied to all clubs- "lost a few games they could have won"

"Definitely win this one" - perhaps but that relies on Tigers being tired and or playing badly (given that they lost against an injury ravaged Tigers side a couple of weeks ago)

Mystic Meg??? I suspect it's a combination of wishful thinking and the hope the Tigers will be putting out a second string team (which the team sheet suggests isn't the case!)

I suspect the bath pack will be spent with 20 minutes to go & so long as Tigers are within a few points Bath will again be dissapointed.
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

Strangely, i thought Dallaglio was quite good on Rugby Club the other night, might some perfectly valid points and was positive about Leicester. Truth be told i dont think he's overly bad.

Im yet to find anyone that particularly likes Guscott!

I particularly found amusing his BBC article about Sunday's match, trying to claim that a game of 10's would be the best way to solve it, clearly going for the popular vote and not thinking about the wider consequences. Ho hum!
#48 FTW :)
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

LessThanSte wrote:Strangely, i thought Dallaglio was quite good on Rugby Club
Yes I agree ..... but he wasn't talking about Wasps, or talking about Wasps players playing for England or Wasps players in the Lions squad. I think he selected 7 Wasps in his Lions test team a month or so ago including Flutey, Payne, Worseley, Cipriani, Lewsey, Shaw, Haskell! No one else had even one.

Do you think he would be so neutral if we were playing Wasps this Saturday?
Always a Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

I suspect the bath pack will be spent with 20 minutes to go
Probably drained after that hard weekend resting while the Leicester boys were enjoying a brief jog around in the sunshine.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

bluntiger wrote:But the worse for wendyball is Jamie Redknap - Tottenham will always win (his dad is the manager) and Liverpool will always win (his ex-team).
Bit of a problem for him when Liverpool play Tottenham then...does he think they'll both win?
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
bluntiger wrote:But the worse for wendyball is Jamie Redknap - Tottenham will always win (his dad is the manager) and Liverpool will always win (his ex-team).
Bit of a problem for him when Liverpool play Tottenham then...does he think they'll both win?
Dad beats ex-club me thinks.
Always a Tiger
WiganTiger

Post by WiganTiger »

How come a thread about Jeremy Guscott's comments turn into slagging off Lawrence Nero Bruno Calligula Caesar Mark Anthony Dallaglio in only 4 steps?
Leicester: Home to Premiership Rugby, First Class Cricket (we;;, sort of) and Third Division Football
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

bluntiger wrote:
LessThanSte wrote:Strangely, i thought Dallaglio was quite good on Rugby Club
Yes I agree ..... but he wasn't talking about Wasps, or talking about Wasps players playing for England or Wasps players in the Lions squad. I think he selected 7 Wasps in his Lions test team a month or so ago including Flutey, Payne, Worseley, Cipriani, Lewsey, Shaw, Haskell! No one else had even one.

Do you think he would be so neutral if we were playing Wasps this Saturday?
True

Though i was referring mainly to yesterday's Rugby Club!
#48 FTW :)
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Dallaglio & Guscott are alright when talking generally about Rugby but when they get on to tactics they are pants...Austin has torn them both to shreds more than once....
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Let's be honest about this, very few Bath players are ever going to be complimentary about Tigers (thought I did read an article in the Rugby Paper from Sunday where David Flatman was quite complimentary, goes to show there is a level of respect from Bath). And in all honesty his comments will have fallen on deaf ears in regards to the players and coaching staff.

I understand the vehement defence put up by Tigers supporters, and so do the club, so long as we continue to support them, those are the only real comments that weight.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
Don.Reid

Post by Don.Reid »

Guscott has to make a living... we all do.

His calling is talking :censored:.

live and let live, I say.
I just fancy an up and under!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

TigrisLeicesteris wrote:Let's be honest about this, very few Bath players are ever going to be complimentary about Tigers (thought I did read an article in the Rugby Paper from Sunday where David Flatman was quite complimentary, goes to show there is a level of respect from Bath). And in all honesty his comments will have fallen on deaf ears in regards to the players and coaching staff.

I understand the vehement defence put up by Tigers supporters, and so do the club, so long as we continue to support them, those are the only real comments that weight.
I like Flatman. He says things as they are just like Healey - pretty good prop too.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat