Who started the Swing Low singing?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Who started the Swing Low singing?

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

it's not necessarily racism in all cases, it's xenophobism, they just don't understand other cultures, and what place these songs hold in those cultures and why. I'm English, my Father is Welsh, my Grandmother Scottish and my Grandpa Irish.

I like to think I have a reasonable understanding of these songs as they are still part of my culture, but it doesn't make it any easier when I go home to my Fathers after another embarrassing loss to the Welsh, because he's Welsh I don't have to like it.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
KUSADASI TIGER

Post by KUSADASI TIGER »

i was there on sunday and i said it was being sung too early but to hear from every corner of the welsh national stadium swing low booming out brought goosebumps
it was a fantastic atmosphere
i still have not got my voice back
fantastic game,and the cardiff supporters we met and drank with were superb
both sets of supporters were a credit to their clubs
bring on leinster!!!
be happy and save energy a smile uses less muscles than a frown
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

I think the reason that singing SLSC annoys ALL other rugby fans (not just the Welsh) is that it is a generic, traditional rugby song that was hijacked by England and used to gloat and goad rather than to support (i.e. sung only when well in front rather than to encourage). Don't recall it ever being sung when the team was behind so definitely NOT a song of support.
Has nothing to do with Leicester and I was embarrassed at our fans singing it - though not as embarrassed as the true Welsh fans around me were when some of their lot booed our kickers at the end.
soul261

Post by soul261 »

So you are opposed to it being sung at England matches then? We can't sing at the club, can't sing at internationals what is a supporter to do? Sit in silence and moan about the ref?
I guess I just prefer to see the dark side of things. The glass is always half empty. And cracked. And I just cut my lip on it. And chipped a tooth.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Now now we're not roundyballers! :smt002
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Every now and then someone starts a thread about needing a song.

So on Sunday during tremendous support some folks begin to sing SLSC.

If it revived Cardiff, it was a silly thing to do. But if as the papers say it is like red rag to Cardiff bulls they need to get a life. I must be missing out on something. Whats the problem?

A few years ago at the Crisp Bowl it was sung - I dont recollect Llanelli getting too upset. Scarlets fans sung all sorts of Welsh songs - it was brilliant.

Doubtless the Leinster fans will have songs, possibly a little nationalistic - so what? Enjoy! (I have been to Athenry, its a small town with lots of discarded rubbish and plenty of disintegrating relics, the song is one of the great anthems of rugby, associated largely with Munster but I shant get upset if Leinster sing it)

The solution is simple , if SLSC upsets the sensitive replace it! Or sing it and other things. Seems a pity that we only chant "Tigers" but so be it. Guess someone is always going to be upset about nearly everything. :smt018
Tigers - true Champions!
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Mike79 wrote:I think the reason that singing SLSC annoys ALL other rugby fans (not just the Welsh) is that it is a generic, traditional rugby song that was hijacked by England and used to gloat and goad rather than to support (i.e. sung only when well in front rather than to encourage). Don't recall it ever being sung when the team was behind so definitely NOT a song of support.
Has nothing to do with Leicester and I was embarrassed at our fans singing it - though not as embarrassed as the true Welsh fans around me were when some of their lot booed our kickers at the end.
Are you for real, ive heard it being sung at every England match ive been too, and we havnt been winning all that many over the last few years. Yes i agree that not all Tigers fans are English, just like not all the players are English, but Leicester Tigers are an English club so what is wrong if people want to sing a known England rugby anthem. I honestly dont believe the likes of Hamilton or Mauger are going to be upset about certain Tigers fans singing "swing low", just like i cant see the likes of Tito or Rush being upset about certain Cardiff fans singing "bread of heaven". Fair enough if people dont want to sing it, but to criticize others for doing it is wrong, another sign of how ridiculously PC this country is going
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Chinnjamie is absolutely right SLSC was sung because its a KNOWN rugby anthem ....and we dont have too many! :smt009
Tigers - true Champions!
RPS

Post by RPS »

I would have thought that with the number of internationals the Tigers can field that it would be flattering to have SLSC being sung. Great match but dissapointing to hear the boos and other noises from behind the goal when the Tigers were taking their shots. It was quiet when the Blues took theirs ?
tigermike

Post by tigermike »

Hi i was at the game on sunday in the west stand and i joined in with singing of slsc and i was singing my heart out as i was all game and i have just got my voice back now,it might have raised cardiff game and ours as well for that matter, but it was being one man down that caused the tries,it certainly did not upset the cardiff fans that i was talking after the game. Besides its a free country so we can say and sing what we like.
Ps the beer shampoo i got over my bald head has left it with a lovely shine. :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
tigerstotty
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerstotty »

Is this for real?

As a free citizen, in a free country, I shall sing what | want, when I want. If I want to sing "leap up and down with your knickers in the air" (anyone remember than one??!!!) I shall do so. Some people (those with a sense of humour) would undoubtedly be entertained, but no doubt there would be others who would tut their disapproval and put a post on here about inappropriate behaviour.....
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

My preference would be that ideally Tigers fans don't sing SLSC because it does definitely rile the opposition supporters and probably won't particularly encourage our foreign legion. I remember us singing SLSC at Lansdowne Rd v Leinster in the Heineken quarter final a few years ago. The Irish fans were brilliant that day but to a man they jeered until we stopped.
What it really shows is that the Celtic nations still carry around far too much historical baggage and as soon as England rather than Leicester is introduced all the old prejudices surface fuelled by the beer!!
Essentially they are "chippy" some might even say insecure to have a problem with a few Tigers fans singing SLSC but that is how it is!
Let's win in Edinburgh without singing it, but if it does start so what, it's their problem not ours.
Soggypitch
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Song proposed some time ago, to the tune of Wild Rover:

Wild Tiger!

We've followed the Tigers for many a year,
Through rough times and tough times and times of good cheer,
But one thing’s for certain, so listen you all,
The Tigers are coming, the Tigers will roar.

And it's Leicester Tigers, (clap, clap, clap clap)
Leicester Tigers they call,
We'll never be beaten,
We never will fall.

We've followed the heroes in red, white and green,
The best team in Europe that you've ever seen,
We win some, we lose some, but one things for sure,
The Tigers are coming, the Tigers will roar.

We'll never be beaten,
We never will fall.

Premier League Champs, we've four in a row,
Two Heineken Cups through great rugby you know,
We've many a hero, great names in the team,
Players and supporters, our winners supreme!

We'll never be beaten,
We never will fall
Red Cap

Post by Red Cap »

So let me if I understand this correctly

There are a few complaints if we make too muchnoise incase it encourages the opposition?

There are a few complaints if we dont make any noise as there is no atmosphere and it gives the opposition an edge.

Considering we were outnumbered by the Cardiff fans and the welsh are known for their wonderful singing, The Tigers support was fantastic, hopefully encouraging our team more than riling Cardiff.

Now can we have a definitive answer on what to do so i can remember to behave correctly with decorum.

P.s I know we were 14 points up when Swing low was sung with approx 70 mins on the clock and Cardiff did pull it pack to 26 each, but if we had left it any later to sing the game would have been over.
Mike79

Post by Mike79 »

jack wrote:Chinnjamie is absolutely right SLSC was sung because its a KNOWN rugby anthem ....and we dont have too many! :smt009
Actually he said it was a known ENGLAND rugby anthem which isn't the same thing and was rather my point (i.e. that it isn't, it's been associated with rugby from long before England hijacked it).

Also if he were to read my post again he will see that I didn't criticise other people for singing it I merely stated that I was embarrassed that they were singing it.
If it wasn't sung to gloat then why was it only sung after 70 minutes when we were 14 points up? Why not from the start?