Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

captain_insaino
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lions Squad

Post by captain_insaino »

Tom Croft - ROBBED! :smt011

A clear wasps bias in selection, the non selection of Blair also a big surprise.
Other doubts IMO include quinlan, VICKERY (what he does to help a team still eludes me), rees, and Powell (who doesn't possess a rugby brain at all).
There are some sound but predictable selection in there, but croft being put completely confused me.
TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!
EssexTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by EssexTiger »

Seems like the declared selection policy of 'playing the in form players' has a whole new meaning!

Struggle in the Premiership and get selected seems more realistic.
Be top and get one selected!

Maybe this is pay back time at Wasps - "sorry I haven't been around but come on holiday with me!"

Love me - love my Wasps! Ugh!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Tiggersarewonderfulthings wrote:
Will S wrote:Geechs saying he was going to pick the form players ....

England - 2nd in 6N's (point difference +54) - 8 Lions representatives
Wales - 4th in 6N's (point difference +19) - 13 Lions representatives

:smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Let's dig a little deeper, shall we?

Even the most myopic Englishman would acknowledge that their points differential was bumped up by:

a) the "Bergamasco at scrum-half" experiment.
b) France deciding that they'd played their big game the previous week, and putting up one of the more spineless displays of recent years.

Can I also point out that since the 2005 Six Nations, Wales have won 4 times in the Championship, to England's one?

Also, were you quite so vocal after the 2005 Lions announcement?

Wales won the Grand Slam, and had 10 players in the initial line-up. England finished 4th and had 20!

There are some talking points here, but Geech's selection is already streets ahead of Lord Bald's opening gambit.
I'm surprissed you are harking back to 2005 records. I was saying on most recent club and international form which is current Premiership and latest 6N's (you could always include most recent WC but that would be unfair :smt002 ). In terms of the 2005 Lions squad I did think the squad was all wrong and weighted far too heavily towards the old 2003 WC winners.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

No doubt every armchair enthusiast in the British Isles could pick a better squad than this one; after all, what do McGeechan, Gatland, Howley, Edwards and Rowntree know about international rugby ?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Croft robbed, have the Lions selectors being watching different games to everyone else. (Biggest robbery in the sport since Lander awarded that Penalty Try)

All 4 Wasps players should not be going:
Vickery: Past it & a penalty machine
Shaw: Never done a thing at International level, penalty machine.
Worseley: Dire
Flutey: Doesn't qualify for the squad as he is a Kiwi! (Shows his commitment to England by going to France next season)

Ellis well done but very lucky to be going.

The selections of Quinlan & Fitzgerald surprise me the rest what you would expect possibly, Sheridan gets in on reputation alone, the man doesn't cut it to be honest
To win is not as important as playing with style!
fogba
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fogba »

What a cunning plan this is from McGeechan;
Firstly, eight Munster players not getting a rest this summer - he obviously doesn't want Munster to win their third consecutive Heineken Cup next year.
Secondly, just before the tests, he brings Croft out. The Springboks haven't seen him play in the warm up matches and they don't know what to expect - slam dunk - three test wins for the Lions.
Thirdly, five players from Cardiff - he is luring them into a false sense of their own ability so they will be too cocky for the match against Tigers - you see Geech is really a closet Tiger.
Irish by birth, Munster by the grace of God, now living in Leicester for my sins.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Vickery? Shaw? these guys are not only dinosaurs, but dinosaurs who are not even that great at rugby. Powell? Ellis? these guys are not even first choices for their club teams. Quinlin cant get in the Ireland team but hey lets put him in there ahead of Croft. A lot of players seem to have been picked through who they know rather than what they can do, as people have said "4 Wasps players is a joke" :smt013
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

I guess you will all be glad that I do not have to visit WR and perform as I had suggested if Borthwick had gone.

Couple of surprises in there for me, expected Croft, didnt expect Vickery or Shaw (Shaw :censored: - more out of the running (if indeed he can run) than Borthwick was IMO)

Can't say I am surprised with the number of Irish players, after all, they did win the 6N (Unlike previous Lions selectors, they appear to have gone on 'form' more than the previous selectors, i.e. Lord Bald). Also, as correctly pointed out, surprised, albeit, pleasantly, with the number of Welsh players selected.

To whomever posted that 5 Cardiff Blues players are going, I think you will find that it is 6, along with 6 from the O's, 1 Arsclet, almost the whole Munster team and a few from the Ladyboyz.

So much for the mickey mouse Magners League eh ?
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Im suprised theyre not taking more Ospreys players, because after all they are doing so well in competitions, ask Munster :smt002
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

chinnjamie wrote:Im suprised theyre not taking more Ospreys players, because after all they are doing so well in competitions, ask Munster :smt002

It probably reflect the quality of the leagues that all these players participate in !

You Tigers fans are just sooo jealous !

Ok, given a selection based on current availability (i.e. not injured) and form, who, Ellis and Croft (I'll take him as a given) apart, should have been selected from the Tigers ?
tigerfez
Tiger Cub

Post by tigerfez »

Personally, I am disgusted at the 13 welsh players that are chosen. I am disgusted that some people are still slating England's form in the 6N (we came 2nd! Wales came 4th!) and I am disgusted that Tom Croft one of the NH form players is not selected, this Lions team has been picked for a one dimensional game and will get picked off, one by one
Loughborough Grammar FTW
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Well i was shocked to see Ellis picked to be honest, Crofty was a dead cert in most peoples test team never mind the squad however im not complaining about the lack of Tigers picked, my only issue is the fact that the team was supposed to be picked based on recent performances, so how can you pick the likes of Shaw and Vickery from Wasps or Powell who cant get in the Cardiff team?
Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve »

I realy just can't believe Crofty's not in the team :smt013 Only up side our boys at least get a rest over the summer !!!!!
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

chinnjamie wrote:Well i was shocked to see Ellis picked to be honest, Crofty was a dead cert in most peoples test team never mind the squad however im not complaining about the lack of Tigers picked, my only issue is the fact that the team was supposed to be picked based on recent performances, so how can you pick the likes of Shaw and Vickery from Wasps or Powell who cant get in the Cardiff team?
Totally agree !!! Though my point was that as far as picking on recent performances, I think that this Lions squad that has more form players in it than in past years. I'm not saying all the Welsh players deserve to go (on current form). I am merely making a comparison between this and past squads (that were allegedly picked on form also).