Ayerza - unsung hero!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bandido58

Ayerza - unsung hero!

Post by bandido58 »

All the talk on messageboards and in the papers focus on Sam Vesty's performances and the back row. Great though they have been surely the man who has done more than most for tigers this season is Marcus Ayerza?
His scrummaging may not quite be up to that of Julian and Castro but his breakdown work and overall contribution is, IMHO, immense. Almost all the turnovers on Saturday involved Marcus in some way.
For his work over the entire season he would get my vote as player of the season!
once a tiger always a tiger
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ayerza - unsung hero!

Post by Hull Fan »

Can see your point, he has been very consistant and he did impress on saturday. I think we have the best complement of front row players in the premiership. :smt023
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

bandido58 wrote:His scrummaging may not quite be up to that of Julian and Castro but his breakdown work and overall contribution is, IMHO, immense.
This is the only bit I disagree with, his scrummaging is quality, especially given his smaller physical stature compared to others, punches way above his weight. One of he best Loose Heads in the GP, Europe even.
Lis113
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lis113 »

After watching the video of the game yesterday i hadn't initially realised how well Ayerza had played on saturday, he was all over the place - a quality player :smt026
Mafi is my man.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

got my vote for player of the season...
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Can't recall him having had a bad game this season and in several he has been immense in his own quiet way. A bit like Ben Woods these last few weeks.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

bandido58 wrote:For his work over the entire season he would get my vote as player of the season!
I understand your point completely. POTS in my opinion will be close between Croft, Mauger and Ayerza - Croft got my vote but it was a close thing.
Always a Tiger
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Iain D »

I though Castro was pretty good in the loose this week too (as he was last week vs Sale)...

We do have some good props huh!

As for Woods. He reminds me a lot of Richard Hill in that he does a lot of the hard work that can be easily overlooked by those that don't really know the game.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I have been saying this for Months - Marco is outstanding week in week out - both in the tight and in the loose - and is easily my player of the season.
Easty

Post by Easty »

Got my vote as well.

Workrate is fantastic, and seems to be peaking perfectly for end of season.

As for scrumaging, can't ever forget the way he (along with Castro & Chutes) destroyed Cardiff's scrum on their 5m line last season. Drove totally straight with all the force hitting through the hooker, absolutely nothing Cardiff could do to stop the juggernaut. Let's hope for similar in the SF

Still worry about how many times he goes down holding his neck (although not so much this season) possibly doesn't bode well in the long term.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I really realised what a great scrummager he was when he got the better of Carl Hayman down at welford road last year
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I just wonder why he seems to get penalised more often than others for "not binding"?
Valhalla I am coming!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

He's definitely a sung hero as far as I'm concerned.

To the tune of "Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag":

Da-da-da-da da DAH!! Marcos Ayerza...