Views on Mr. Lewis's performance?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W
Super User
Super User

Views on Mr. Lewis's performance?

Post by Bill W »

Interpretation of laws at the breakdown?

Application of advantage?

Thoughts?
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Views on Mr. Lewis's performance?

Post by Iain D »

Overall - not the greatest game IMO.

Advantage was inconsistent (but at least it was consistently inconsistent). Sometimes he'd give a large amount of advantage and then bring it back... other times it was next to nothing.

At the breakdown again, inconsistent. Would yell at one team for guys to release the ball and move away, and give them all the time in the world to slow things down - yet in another moment he's penalizing for the same offense. He was very lax on the offside law around the fringes of rucks and mauls.

He missed a few sitters - Banahan's shoulder charge on Geordan, and Tuilagi's hit on Abendanon... both were very clear.

I'm not suggesting that there was any bias there, or anything like that. I also think that he did a good job in trying to keep the game flowing - but he was inconsistent.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Interesting observations.

Anyone else?
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Didnt watch him much, just shouted when he awarded against us and cheers when he awarded for us.

However, in the first half Castro was clearly thrashing their scrum and they couldnt take any pressure from him, collapsing etc. Shud have had more from there. Also, surely Ben Woods should have had a try from a turned scrum, but was called back for no clear reason.

Other decisions seemed to be very random and as I saw somebody mention elsewhere, very roulette style reffing. Also had to many problems with his :censored: microphone!
Last edited by Darc Tiger on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I did think he'd lost his whistle at one point, there was stuff happening on and off the ball and he just stayed quiet.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Thanks folks!

I felt that Mr. Lewis refereed the scrums badly (he always does), and the breakdown somewhat loosely (although with no obvious bias). Offside lines at the breakdown???

I could not comprehend his advantage definition it seemed to be that once you kicked it the advantage was over.

A number of Bath supporters felt that he was very biased against them.

Maybe, for once, Tigers played the ref better than their opponents.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Mr Lewis missed a number of knock-ons (by both teams) especially as rucks were being formed.A number of times the ball was dropped forward by players and play carried on. They were tight calls, however, and favoured neither side in particular.

Jordan Crane knocked on by a mile (level with my seat) and the ref awarded TIGERS a scrum a few seconds later for a Bath knock-on. :smt017 Bizzare, unless Jordan headed the ball instead!

We got a fair rub of the green today, I thought.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Yes, I think Moody, like me, used up a lot of energy just watching the blinking game!

As for the ref though, I think we got the rub of the green there. At one point Bath had advantage, and seemed to be going nowhere, and the ref very quickly called "advantage over".
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Bill W wrote:I could not comprehend his advantage definition it seemed to be that once you kicked it the advantage was over.
This is an interpretation that many refs are using now. When Tigers got turned over near the bath try line and they had a 5 on 2 overlap I felt that was advantage but Bath knocked on and it came back.

he most obvious error had to be in the lead up to the Bath first try. Harrison was on the wrong side, stood up and was retreating - Bath players were rucking well and the ball was loose. Harrison (Still on the tigers side) picked it up and at the resulting ruck Bath penalty for Tigers over the top. Bath kicked to touch, won the lineout, and sliced through to score.

Ball should have been 40 yards towards the Bath line.
seldomrong

Post by seldomrong »

He must a few things but I am more concerned whether Tuilagi will be cited for his hit on Abendanon. We dont need to lose him at this stage of the season
Tigers are in my blood
Adamspoon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Adamspoon »

Daveyboy wrote:Jordan Crane knocked on by a mile (level with my seat) and the ref awarded TIGERS a scrum a few seconds later for a Bath knock-on. :smt017 Bizzare, unless Jordan headed the ball instead!

Watching it on TV you could see that the ball did come off Crane's head, so not giving the knock on was the correct decission. However, a Leicester player (can't remember who) who was well in front of the ball when it was 'headed' by Crane, then dived straight on top of it. Surely this player was offside?!

I seem to remember that the rules treat heading the ball the same as kicking it, so anyone in front of the header is offside. Otherwise you could just delibertely head the ball to your mate who's in front of you! I may be wrong though.

Other than that i thought Lewis had an OK game. It wasn't without error, but i'm not sure it's possible to referee a game and not make any mistakes.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Adamspoon wrote:
Daveyboy wrote:Jordan Crane knocked on by a mile (level with my seat) and the ref awarded TIGERS a scrum a few seconds later for a Bath knock-on. :smt017 Bizzare, unless Jordan headed the ball instead!

Watching it on TV you could see that the ball did come off Crane's head, so not giving the knock on was the correct decission. However, a Leicester player (can't remember who) who was well in front of the ball when it was 'headed' by Crane, then dived straight on top of it. Surely this player was offside?!

I seem to remember that the rules treat heading the ball the same as kicking it, so anyone in front of the header is offside. Otherwise you could just delibertely head the ball to your mate who's in front of you! I may be wrong though.

Other than that i thought Lewis had an OK game. It wasn't without error, but i'm not sure it's possible to referee a game and not make any mistakes.
A ball coming of the head is allowed and not a knock on. One of the Leinster players tried to claim that his head knocked the ball on but as the replay showed it was not so.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

BJ. wrote:Well I think Lewis had a great game. He was by far the best water boy we've had all season! :smt043 :smt043 :smt043

Ditto BJ. He must be the most expensive water boy Leicester have ever had.

:smt005 :smt005
Philip J Gray
Rubymint

Post by Rubymint »

I'm still trying to work out a lot of the laws of the game so can someone please advise why Mr Lewis blew for 1/2 time when it seemed Harry had just dug the ball out from the pile of bodies not far from the Bath try line?
Easty

Post by Easty »

Rubymint, quite simple, it was the easiest decision. We'd taken too long getting it out, Bath had been killing it (& probably still were) so it was either blow for halftime or give a penalty.....so basically it was a cop out.

As for AL's performance, never been a fan so wasn't expecting great things, well passed his sellby date I'm afraid. Certainly wouldn't acuse him of being biased, just pretty poor with too much missed.

Scrummage, first one went down, stood up & talked / motioned at Bath FRow, went down again........penalty to Bath.

I also saw the Harrison pick up from the wrong side, absolutely no rule could be applied to justify it.

But equally bad decision was ~ They kicked from inside their half under pressure from Ben Woods, Vesty returned by kicking a high ball (didn't go very far) & chased, Ben Woods came from Bath side, stood next to where ball was dropping and as Sam collected he bound on............always offside & never attempted to get out of the 10m area of the ball dropping.

So to answer your original question Bill...........Poor, as always
To The Board ~ you have one season to prove you've got this decision right. More than you gave Marcelo