more games

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

irishjojo
Top Cat
Top Cat

more games

Post by irishjojo »

if the board are looking for more games would it not be better to have a cup like the FA cup then the smaller teams will benefit as well. i'm new to posting on here so dont bite my head off lol, i know some aren't in favour of any more games. but the powers that be seem insistant that they do.
Derryman and proud
Come on Tigers
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Re: more games

Post by Bill W »

irishjojo wrote:if the board are looking for more games would it not be better to have a cup like the FA cup then the smaller teams will benefit as well. i'm new to posting on here so dont bite my head off lol, i know some aren't in favour of any more games. but the powers that be seem insistant that they do.
You raise a reasonable point. And indeed there used to be such a competition - the Pikington Cup. It subsequently dropped the early knock out stages (involvement of lower non-premeirship clubs) and became the Anglo Welsh Cup.

By and large and simplifying the arguments considerably, the RFU favour an Anglo Welsh Cup, PRL favour extra Premiership games.

Oh! And welcome to the forum!! Keep posting!!

:smt023
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Welcome irishjojo enjoy yourself!!!!!

I'd like to go back to something similar to the old pilkington cup. Can't beat a bit of giant killing excitement.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

irishjojo wrote:if the board are looking for more games would it not be better to have a cup like the FA cup then the smaller teams will benefit as well. i'm new to posting on here so dont bite my head off lol, i know some aren't in favour of any more games. but the powers that be seem insistant that they do.
Welcome and good post irishjojo.

Most rugby fans don't like the Anglo/Welsh cup and many (including us) didn't really take it very seriously this year unlike the old format. However, the gulf between the leagues is huge now so giant-killing unlikely.
Always a Tiger
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Firstly welcome to the forum.

I'm huegly in favour of a FA cup style comp where teams that win there county cup have the chance to move into the national cup.

For example

First round - County Cup winners
Second Round - half again
1st Round proper - National 2 north and south join
Second round - National 1 join
Third round - Championship teams come in
Fourth round - again reduced to 24 teams (48)
Fifth Round - Prem teams join (32)
Sixth Round- (16)
QF - (8)
SF - (4)
Finals - (2)

Only an extra 5 games max for prem teams so no worry about elite player burn out and also gives teams the chance to earn extra pounds and have a pop at the big boys.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

chipnchase wrote:Only an extra 5 games max for prem teams so no worry about elite player burn out and also gives teams the chance to earn extra pounds and have a pop at the big boys.
This'll never work as the extra pounds would be mainly for the minnows not the Prem teams that 'need' more money
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

how about a place in the HC being up for grabs? surely the sponsorship, tv, crowds would cover that?
Jim__2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jim__2 »

Hull Fan wrote:
"Can't beat a bit of giant killing excitement."

Agreed!
Mr. Grumpy

Post by Mr. Grumpy »

Trouble with the old John Player/Pilko/Tetley’s/Powergen, or as it was originally known, the sexily titled ‘RFU Club Competition’, was that in the last years of it there was exactly the same debate that takes place now with the EDF – i.e. the perception that neither clubs or supporters were interested in it anymore. Perhaps a third competition is just not needed?
A man does not always need to wear a red nose to be considered a clown
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

the curentl format leads to too many rubbish teasm playng after the first round of matches if they loose thye pick kids people dont want to spend hard earned money on the tickets. That said the semi and finals have been good.

The old cup was romantic and dont forget the only competition until 1987 not that long ago! For some He he . But lets face it how many times did the big boys loose to the minnows??? I think Paul Grayson Kick Warterloo to victory over BAth once in early 90s and Worc then second div team beat Wasps and Birmingham beat a prem team to reach the last semi of the old cup! But its not like the FA cup.

The cup has prob had its day unless we plyed it on the international days in stead of prem matches and so meant our int palyers played more prem games ? ( NOt ion the RFU plan me thinks) bUt hten the money wouldnt come in eithere so would not be wanted by the clubs either. SO all in all its had it day in my opinion
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Surely the answer is:

1. Replace EDFwith aproper knockout Cup
2. Increase premiership to 14 with real relegation/promotion of 2 (or 3) teams.
3. Let top 2 teams ineach HC group go through and have an extra knockout round.

This would give extra meaningful games
PAW

Post by PAW »

Im not sure the Premier League clubs would like a straight knockout as there is a risk that they would only get one game (if knocked out) and that maybe not at home. This would reduce revenue
They may then suggest seeding so every Prem club gets a lower league club, but that kills the romance of giant killing (plus how many would go to a game vs Rotherham for example when this year you would at least get a Prem or Welsh region to watch).
On a related note, isnt it getting a bit late to be sorted out? Im pretty sure (though happy to be proved wrong) that this years season ticket includes the EDF pool games. Like many I have taken a multi-year ticket assuming the same number of games. Currently Tigers are advertising no increase in ticket prices but that could just mean no price rise but fewer games as whatever is decided upon will have to be paid for in addition.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

PAW wrote:Im not sure the Premier League clubs would like a straight knockout as there is a risk that they would only get one game (if knocked out) and that maybe not at home. This would reduce revenue
They may then suggest seeding so every Prem club gets a lower league club, but that kills the romance of giant killing (plus how many would go to a game vs Rotherham for example when this year you would at least get a Prem or Welsh region to watch).
On a related note, isnt it getting a bit late to be sorted out? Im pretty sure (though happy to be proved wrong) that this years season ticket includes the EDF pool games. Like many I have taken a multi-year ticket assuming the same number of games. Currently Tigers are advertising no increase in ticket prices but that could just mean no price rise but fewer games as whatever is decided upon will have to be paid for in addition.
What EDF Pool games?

Club have stated that the "additional games" are included in the season ticket price.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
irishjojo
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by irishjojo »

If the club have stated that the extra games are in the season ticket prices, then they must be looking for income at the ground. then why don't they have open training sessions at welford road as not everyone can get to Oadby then the could introduce new players, we went to the open day last year and it was great butttttttttttttt there was a lot of players missing who we would liked to have got autographs off and we dont normally hang around after the games.
Derryman and proud
Come on Tigers