Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Food in town before/after Bath game

Post by masopa »

Folks

Apologies for the digression from rugby but it's necessary!

I'll be coming down to watch the Bath match this weekend with my family and because of the time of the game we'll need to grab a bite to eat somewhere in Leicester. Now, being a Lincolnshire man myself I don't know the hostelries and restaurants in town well enough so I'm looking for a recommendation!

Any thoughts on somewhere vaguely central (i.e. nearish to Walkers that we could either walk to or drive to and park nearby) that would be suitable for a thirty-something couple and parents (70ish)? My parents have recently discovered the joys of curry, so that could be an option!

Thanks in advance...
Rizzo

Re: Food in town before/after Bath game

Post by Rizzo »

They'll be serving curry at Welford Road after the game

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/13132.php

Other than that, my recommendation is the Taj Mahal on Highfield Street, bit of a walk but well worth it.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

We will be hitting the Nila Palace on the London Road as usual - good scoff, plenty of others there to choose from
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
cornish tigress
Super User
Super User

Post by cornish tigress »

Great Thai place on the London Road too, I'll be there.
http://www.matthampson.co.uk
HairyPencil

Post by HairyPencil »

Try The Spicy Haandi on Walnut St. (144) Less than five mins walk from the ground. Doesn't look great from the outside as it's a converted terraced house but it's really good, honest food and the staff are top!!

Here's a review...
Traveller Reviews of The Spicy Haandi
Food A1, the Decor however...
Posted by Boss Hogg from Leicester, United Kingdom
Fantastic restaurant with great value food and friendly service. This is a small family run restaurant in a converted house and although the term 'run down' would be more than appropriate it more than makes up for it with the sheer beauty of the food. It looks scruffy and it is scruffy but it is the best 'Indian' I have been to and it is all fresh and homecooked. Don't go to Leicester without taking a look at this place. It really is superb and your friends will congratulate you on your 'local' knowledge!
ShropsTiger

Post by ShropsTiger »

HairyPencil wrote:Try The Spicy Haandi on Walnut St. (144) Less than five mins walk from the ground. Doesn't look great from the outside as it's a converted terraced house but it's really good, honest food and the staff are top!!

Here's a review...
Traveller Reviews of The Spicy Haandi
Food A1, the Decor however...
Posted by Boss Hogg from Leicester, United Kingdom
Fantastic restaurant with great value food and friendly service. This is a small family run restaurant in a converted house and although the term 'run down' would be more than appropriate it more than makes up for it with the sheer beauty of the food. It looks scruffy and it is scruffy but it is the best 'Indian' I have been to and it is all fresh and homecooked. Don't go to Leicester without taking a look at this place. It really is superb and your friends will congratulate you on your 'local' knowledge!
Totally agree with above sentiments - the best 'Indian' in Leicester! :smt026
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

If its quality you are after then in our opinion you won't do any better than the Tiffin on the corner of De-Monfort St and London Road, also well frequented by Tigers supporters, but a bit pricy.

If its good food at a reasonable price your after then I agree the Taj Mahal on Highfield St. is a good recommendation.
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

If you want a real treat and like Italian try this one

http://www.sancarlo.co.uk/

Pricey but excellent
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

I'll second the Nila Palace recommendation. We always go there when we want a curry - usually at 2 in the morning....
Blimey...
HairyPencil

Post by HairyPencil »

Quite like the Nila Palace and the Tiffen and if you want to impress your friends, they are both really nicely appointed properties with great "restaurant" food. For sure, two of the best in town. You wouldn't be disappointed.

The reason I like the Spicy Haandi is that it's quirky, bit like sitting in someone's dining room. The food is prepared fresh, unlike a lot of Indian restaurants in town, but for me, more importantly, is like eating Asian "home cooked" food and at a great price.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

Thanks everyone for all the tips - very much appreciated and I'm sure we'll end up being well fed!

:smt023 :smt023