Andrew Sheridan

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Andrew sheridan

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

By no means am I known to refrain from utter obscentities when I think that the time is right, I'm not a great advocate for "clean" language- I think its ridiculous when people try and censor the use of it claiming it is foul and shows a limited vocabulary (in fact it is much more likely to be proof of the opposite- but thats neither here nor there).

However, there is a difference between accentuating a point with an obscenity and using language that is potentially going to cause someone real offence. There's got to be something a bit more constructive to say than calling people 'divs' and 'pussies' surely.

Sorry for the preachy rant that is a digression from the thread topic.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

That sounds exactly as you say... preachy and ranting

Div is a slang term for an idiot - there is nothing vulgar about it - I called him that because that was how he behaved. I dare say he thought we were the same.

If I wanted a cultural debate I think I would be looking somewhere other than the Leicester Tigers fans forum!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

The word can very much be construed as un-pc, there's cultural debate and a word to the wise about not offending people.
Like I said, time and a place for it all, there's no f's and c's used on here so why words that refer to arrested mental capacity- there's such thing as a golden rule of interpretation.
My point was there are much more constructive and effective ways of making a point.
CoalvilleBob

Post by CoalvilleBob »

mightymouse wrote:
If I wanted a cultural debate I think I would be looking somewhere other than the Leicester Tigers fans forum!
Fair enough, but if I was looking to read people boasting about the names they called the opposition I'd also try somewhere other than the Leicester Tigers fans forum. Leicester City's forum perhaps.
ashbash

Post by ashbash »

mightymouse wrote: Div is a slang term for an idiot - there is nothing vulgar about it - I called him that because that was how he behaved. I dare say he thought we were the same.
Amongst other things yes;

Div is a scouse word for idiot. It is short for divvy which in turn is a corruption of Deva. The Deva Hospital was a well known mental hospital (since renamed the West Cheshire Hospital) on the outskirts of Chester. Chester was founded by the Romans who named it Deva.
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

Good god, come on guys, lets not get into mines bigger then yours and the whole "PC" thing, keep it rugby related, after all this is a contact agressive sport, things happen and things are said, the Sheridan situation was funny. I was sitting in the Caterpillar standing on my feet shouting at him aswell.
Geordan Murphy for England
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I was not boasting about anything -

someone asked - who was near the dugout on saturday ?- I gave the perspective of my position within the ground.

The barracking of Sheridan and the loud support for the team mainly from the terrace gave the team the lift the needed to win - as the players have acknowledged - The duty of a crowd in my view is to support vociferously.

I casually described the bloke in the dugout by a very inoffensive slang term for his attitude back to the crowd. This is not what I called him to his face we just laughed at him.

The holier than thou attitude that appears sometimes in these threads is in itself laughable. If you are offended I suggest joining the tartan rug brigade in the quiet and now defunct members stand.

For your information I played rugby for over 30 years and have watched it live for about 15 years now, I have never had any interest in either playing or watching association football and would consider myself as part of the rugby watching majority at welford road not the minority of Mr. Quiets who only want to complain about every other member of the crowd for there language, behaviour, eating habits , drinking habits, siting standing positions and every other petty grievance.

Get over yourselves!
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

mightymouse wrote:I was not boasting about anything -

someone asked - who was near the dugout on saturday ?- I gave the perspective of my position within the ground.

The barracking of Sheridan and the loud support for the team mainly from the terrace gave the team the lift the needed to win - as the players have acknowledged - The duty of a crowd in my view is to support vociferously.

I casually described the bloke in the dugout by a very inoffensive slang term for his attitude back to the crowd. This is not what I called him to his face we just laughed at him.

The holier than thou attitude that appears sometimes in these threads is in itself laughable. If you are offended I suggest joining the tartan rug brigade in the quiet and now defunct members stand.

For your information I played rugby for over 30 years and have watched it live for about 15 years now, I have never had any interest in either playing or watching association football and would consider myself as part of the rugby watching majority at welford road not the minority of Mr. Quiets who only want to complain about every other member of the crowd for there language, behaviour, eating habits , drinking habits, siting standing positions and every other petty grievance.

Get over yourselves!
I have to agree. I like nothing more then shouting at the opposition and referee when deserved and Sheridan deserved it, I was shouting from the Caterpillar stand encouraging the Terrace to "sit him down".

This whole "pc" thing is also very painful to read, I have used Div for years and I am not scouse and actually think it to be rather polite.
Geordan Murphy for England
tim15

Post by tim15 »

In reply to the previous posters about what happened in the dug out as Julian was walking off the old Sale coach, the one with the spiky hair and gum chewing, starting laughing at him and goading him on, how Julian didn't spank him either i don't know.
4th offical a certain Ashley Rowden asked him to sit down, but this is the same unpleasant individual who comes with them and winds up the supporters.
Main years ago he took the ball away from "oz" trying to take a quick throw in as Sale were exposed and i thought the Next Stand crowd were going to lynch him.
He was not contrite in any way and how he still stays is a mystery to me!
And on the 7th day, god rested, he stood patiently and awaited the green light to start the game from SKY!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

4071 wrote:
Barnes, to some extent, was damned if he did and damned if he didn't. He chose to apply the Laws of the game.
There is no law that says a punch is a red card. It is just one of the sanctions available to a referee for an act of foul play.
You are incorrect to claim, however, that Barnes' only option - according to the laws - was a red card for White.
I should have referred to the guidance that referees are given, as opposed to Law. Under said guidance, Barnes had no real option.

You are correct to imply that the old 'crimes act' document has long since been rescinded.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Surely a big part to the advantage of a home game is the fact that the crowd gets behind the team, and intimidate the opposition. Therefore if there is no bad language involved i fail to see the problem. Sheridan is an International player and should know better than to let the crowd get to him, so for him to react makes him a bit of a "Div" or whatever in my opinion. This country has gone way to PC already imo but thats another argument. :smt023
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

gooders060981 wrote:
mightymouse wrote:

This whole "pc" thing is also very painful to read, I have used Div for years and I am not scouse and actually think it to be rather polite.
Irrespective of whether you find it offensive or not, or irrespective of the origins in the word (though there are many different thoughts on this), if there are people who may reasonably be offended by remarks made on this forum then those remarks do not belong here. In fact, the fact that you did not use the word in actual confrontation enforces the fact that it possibly wasn't a good choice.
For suggesting some people don't belong on this forum for raising certain points or having an opinion is incredibly petulant.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

I should have referred to the guidance that referees are given, as opposed to Law. Under said guidance, Barnes had no real option.
Well, he does have options. As per the laws, he can admonish, yellow card or red card.

Given what he thought he saw, the red card was the right call. But what he saw was not the whole story, and if the TJ had been doing his job, then Barnes would have been free to apply a bit of common sense and not whip out the red card.

This happened with the ref in the Saints v Gloucester game, who saw Hazell throw a punch in the middle of a melee, and decided to yellow card him. The punch - as with White's - was not entirely unprovoked, and so a yellow card was considered fair.

My beef isn't with Barnes - it's with Goodliffe, who could not have missed Sheridan's initial punch, but chose not to mention it. When he committed that sin of ommission, he left Barnes under the impression that the first and only punch came from White (and for that, a red card would be fair enough).

Because the sanction for a punch is not specifically laid down - not even in guidelines, let alone the laws - if Barnes had been informed by his TJ that White's was a retaliation, then he could (and probably would) have yellow carded both players rather than red carding one and letting the other off scot-free.

Your implication is that a punch is a red card. End of story.

Refereeing in rugby union is not and never has been that simplistic.

But to make the right call, the ref needs support from his touch judge, and in this case, he was badly let down. As was Julian White.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

mightymouse wrote:I was not boasting about anything -

Get over yourselves!

It's with a good appreciation of irony that i read your post, laughing at the holier than thou attitude of others, then tarring the whole CAT stand with the same brush - it really winds me up that those outside the CAT think they're 'better' for your information when watching a game most of the people around me are either A) shouting or B) not shouting because they're immersed in the game.

I suggest you get over yourself.