Tigers Signings 2009/10

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tigers Signings 2009/10

Post by dunc »

I was thinking about this last week and putting together the following facts came up with a name that I am now sure we will end up with.

Following departures there is a large hole in the wage bill.

Should depuy and hougard leave kickers will be thin on the ground.

Matt O'connor is from the brumbies.

With no seru or tv we will be exposed at 11, 13, 14 during 6n and autumn and injuries.

So I thought who is at the brumbies, can kick, play 11, 13, 14 and be in a position to turn his back on the ARU...

Stirling Mortlock???
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Might have something to do with the fact that the beer in France isn't as cheap as it is in the Amber Rooms in Loughborough! Saw him in there the other week putting some away!
Yeah saw him in Echoes as well, he's obviously a fan of the cheaper style of establishment.

Dunc, Mortlock would be an immense signing. Not sure if we can pull it off but would be pretty special if we could. Twelvetrees has been doing the kicking duties at Bedford this season as well as covering 10/12/13. If Allen is on his way as well that will be another 12/13 and suddenly we'd be overflowing with centres.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

dunc wrote:I was thinking about this last week and putting together the following facts came up with a name that I am now sure we will end up with.

Following departures there is a large hole in the wage bill.

Should depuy and hougard leave kickers will be thin on the ground.

Matt O'connor is from the brumbies.

With no seru or tv we will be exposed at 11, 13, 14 during 6n and autumn and injuries.

So I thought who is at the brumbies, can kick, play 11, 13, 14 and be in a position to turn his back on the ARU...

Stirling Mortlock???
Or Clyde Rathbone/Mark Gerrard - cheaper alternatives?
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Iain D »

The Evil Wizard Mortlock possibly weaving his magic spells at Welford road... that's a tasty thought. Him and Mauger together in a team would be enough to scare the bejeesus out of most sides...

Would prefer Giteau if we have to go for a Crim though...
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Tigers did ok last but one time we had an Aussie in the centres.....( typed last Aussie but then remembered "Tugboat" . :smt009)
pdougietigers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by pdougietigers »

Like the look of Anthony Tuitavake from the blues and Lelia Masaga chiefs
but a kicker Piri Weepu plays both fly half and scrum half
and Isaia Toeava who plays 12 + 13,FB,FH and wing and a decent kicker
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Iain D wrote:The Evil Wizard Mortlock possibly weaving his magic spells at Welford road... that's a tasty thought. Him and Mauger together in a team would be enough to scare the bejeesus out of most sides...

And top his wage at Brumbies? with sponsorships etc he's the highest paid player in the world... thanks but no thanks.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

if hougaard left, i'd like to see us get Marcato from Treviso,

looked good in the two games against us (from the bench at our place) and showing v.good potential for Italy and i think he'd flourish with the quality of players he'd have playing with here
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

kornboy130 wrote:
Iain D wrote:Would prefer Giteau if we have to go for a Crim though...
And top his wage at Brumbies? with sponsorships etc he's the highest paid player in the world... thanks but no thanks.
About £1M pa, isn't it?
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

Iain D wrote:The Evil Wizard Mortlock possibly weaving his magic spells at Welford road... that's a tasty thought. Him and Mauger together in a team would be enough to scare the bejeesus out of most sides...

Someone has been watching their ARC :smt023
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

dailywaffle wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:
Iain D wrote:Would prefer Giteau if we have to go for a Crim though...
About £1M pa, isn't it?
thats about the level of statistic i've heard. No player is worth 1/4 of the Salary cap.
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Iain D »

Ok, but salary cap aside are you really saying that you wouldn't want to see him in a Tigers shirt?

TBH there aren't that many other Aussies that I'd want to see here. Especially since they count as foreign players (unlike Kolpak players). I'm more than happy with Hamilton and Newby. I guess with the Herring retiring that frees up one place.

I think all we're really missing is another prop (you can never have too many fatboys) and a dynamite, game breaking, lethal finishing, monster tackling, team inspiring back. Not too sure where you find the latter - and even if we did it would take them some time to settle in.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Salary cap aside i'd like to see a world XV in Tigers shirts, but it aint gna happen and as such Giteau will almost certainly not be in a Tigers shirt next season and on that kind of money i'd be surprised if he ever leaves Aus tbh.
ashby-ian
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashby-ian »

So where would we be if we were in the same boat as earlier this year with 15 out for various reasons. Maybe the ones left are not in the correct position to replace. We were a bit light in the backs
To help a child is an honour

www.childrensforcestrust.org
No. 3

Post by No. 3 »

Guardian today...

"There are also suggestions that Anthony Allen, another of Gloucester's former midfield England internationals, could be on the move – most probably to Leicester who are not re-signing Ayoola Erinle. The former Wasps centre is on his way toBiarritz but, with the centre Jack Adams heading for Bristol and Jack Forster, the prop, moving to Sale, Gloucester appear to be at the centre of a busy summer in the transfer market."

http://tinyurl.com/cxwcq3

has this been mentioned before?