Bye Bye Vesty/Hougaard.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Bye Bye Vesty/Hougaard.

Post by TTRITH »

Reported in today's issue of the Rugby Times that we are looking to off-load either Sam or Derick. It also says that Derick was allowed to talk to Saracens but they were unable to afford the wages we offer him.
Leicester Tigers could still offload utility back Sam Vesty at the end of the season despite his resurgent form over the last couple of weeks.
Vesty was told by Heyneke Meyer he could leave the club despite having another year left to run on his contract.
The 27-year old has been intresting French clubs Biarritz and Bayonne and will only move abroad if Leicester release him.
The Tigers are keen to part company with Vesty or fellow fly-half South African international Derick Hougaard who has been having talks with Saracens.
But the former Blue Bulls ace has been unable to agree personal terms with Saracens who were unable to match his Tigers wages.
Now the question is, why are we getting rid of one of the fly-halfs? It doesn't make sense! Surely somebody would have learnt from this season's six nations that injuries do happen, will happen, and if Flood is off on England duty it leaves us with one fly-half!

I also hope that Twelvetree's is coming in as a replacement for Seru rather than a replacement for a fly-half :smt009

Any rumours going around on us getting a new (or possibly old) fly-half back?
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Bye Bye Vesty/Hougaard.

Post by LessThanSte »

Its a rather large amount of money to be paying to have a player as insurance though. That said, i think i'd be looking to keep both, we know Hougaard is a superb player even if Tigers are, arguably, yet to see it (too often!), and Vesty has proved himself to be up to the task in recent games.

Is this a sign that we are damn close to the salary cap and need a bit of culling?

But anyway, i think personally in your key positions, scrum half/full back id be wanting 3 players available, 1 for the starting 15, 1 for the bench and 1 as cover!
#48 FTW :)
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Well i hope Sam stays, i can't imagine he's one of tigers big wage earners so hopefully the salary cap wont force him out.
Now he's getting regular game time it might of wetted his appetite for regular 1st team rugby and may be tempted by other offers.
I reckon though having sat through the last couple of seasons he must be tigers through & through so he'll stay a push for a regular start at the best club in the land!!
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I recall seeing a recent quote from Sam Vesty saying he wanted to stay at Leicester and despite some interest from elsewhere he hoped to do so.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I thought Cozza was retiring? I thought he signed for "one more season" which would be this one.

I don't understand the calls to get rid of Lewis, yes he gets injured a lot but isn't that the lot of the flanker? Ben Herring has also had injuries and been out for a while but I haven't seen people calling to get rid of him.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Moody has done enough in the past to warrant his wages for me, and i'm sure he'll do plenty for us ion the future as well.

As for Vesty, we can't get rid of him, he is part of the history of the club. His dad and grandad both played for tigers so he has to stay.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Vesty has sat around on the fringes of the squad for ages, and then when called to do so, has come in and played with all the heart and gusto of a great professional.

Is there any better player out there who would be prepared to come to Tigers and do the same thing?

Nope.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
PAW

Post by PAW »

As well as showing no signs of sulking when not picked, we shouldnt forget Sam can also play full back and centre. Whilst HM may not have rated him, hopefully Cockers has more sense and understanding of the need for honest club men amongst the eye catching superstars
Antony D

Post by Antony D »

Absolutely. The one player who should not even be considered for release, not by anyone with an ounce of morality.[/quote]

Could not agree more - I hope the board also takes this view - and if DH wants to go off to scarries well so be it -

Sam Vesty should carry on at 10 IMO even when Flood returns
Antony

I cook with Wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

Note that the original article says that it was Meyer who told Sam that he was free to leave. We now/will have a new coach who may have a different view. The style that we were playing under HM would not have suited Sam, but it was much more to DH's strengths - things have changed.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

LessThanSte wrote:Is this a sign that we are damn close to the salary cap and need a bit of culling?
Probably. The club are having to make some very difficult decisions, and inevitably some will not be popular. But the bottom line is that the days of an elastic cap have gone.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Sam Vesty not only needs to stay, he needs to be made captain for next year.
He is the outstanding candidate for that job.