Tom's Sevens Under way

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tom's Sevens Under way

Post by Qbec »

Tom V has just finished his first game of this years sevens RWC & scored two good trys.

Well down Tom
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Tom's Sevens Under way

Post by crateman »

Thanks for that Qbec. I know Setanta are covering the tournament, but are any other channels doing anything, highlights or otherwise?
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

This will do TV the world of good. Its also a sensible move by England 7s. Why didnt this happen a bit earlier?
Tigers - true Champions!
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Report from RFU.
Good to see TV running in tries again.

http://www.rfu.com/index.cfm/fuseaction ... ryID/22132
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

crateman, I don't know if there are any highlights on as I caught this online, but he came on after the break and looked pretty sharp, So did a guy from the Navy Josh Drauniniu plays for Exeter Chiefs as well as the navy, seems like some pretty good players below the GP, would be worth looking.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Sky have highlights of all the Sevens tournaments. When they are I do not know.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Quote from Eurosport:
Jonah Lomu today urged English rugby not to waste Tom Varndell's talent as the troubled Leicester winger opened the Sevens World Cup with a blistering try double.

Varndell came on as a half-time replacement against Hong Kong and helped England recover from a slow start and a sin-binning - even in Sevens they could not keep a full contingent on the field - to win 42-5.

It was Varndell's first appearance in an England Sevens jersey since the 2006 Commonwealth Games final in Melbourne, since when he has made two false starts in the Test arena and been dropped like a stone by Leicester.

Critics argue Varndell's defence is not strong enough - but both Lomu and Lawrence Dallaglio believe he is too talented an athlete for England to overlook.

He is also much too talented for Tigers to overlook!
I hope he isn't shoved aside to Wasps.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Report in The Times

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 854856.ece

"Two former World Cup Sevens winners who were in Dubai yesterday were united in praise of him. “I don’t know why people don’t believe in him,” Lawrence Dallaglio, a winner with England in 1993, said. “He’s a fantastic player. What an athlete.”

Jonah Lomu, who won with New Zealand in 2001, endorsed the view of Gordon Tietjens, the New Zealand coach, that Varndell is the fastest player on the planet. “He needs confidence more than anything else,” Lomu said. “If he gets the ball, he should put the hammer down, and go for it. Not many will catch him.”
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

i think the point here is that on a 7s pitch he gets the space to put the hammer down when playing 15 a side that space isn't there and he appears to run out of ideas
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

So in the 15 person game, if the centres run sideways, they are just plain useless, as they cut down the space for the winger. Get rid of lateral moving centres, and Varndell will prosper and so will the team he plays for.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

He looks very good, lots of pace but also very strong, breaking tackles, and none of the "kick and chase" nonsense.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

2 tries on his second game as well as setting up one of Gollings tries. Seems our Tom is finding some for out there. Hopefully he'll come back replicate similar form for us.

Though two tries in each of his last two games, at my club he'd be doing penalty shots for jug avoidance.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

His second try in the opening game was very good - showed commitment to get back in defence, even though the game was won. HK kicked through, and TV came from nowhere to slide down onto the ball at the same time as the HK player tried to hack it on.

The attacker tripped over TV, who jumped to his feet to see the next player bearing down on him. He took the hit and flipped a sweet offload out of the back of his hand to a supporting player, and when that player was caught by a defender, TV was already on his outside to jog the 60m to the HK try-line.

In the second game, apart from his 2 tries, he showed a level of team-play when through for a score by - instead of dotting down himself - chucking the ball to Gollings so that he could score under the posts and guarantee the conversion.

Given that England won the game by just 2 points, it was a smart move.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

And he scores again in England's 26-7 win over Kenya that puts them through to the QFs.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Well now we're playing a more expanisve kind of rugby and a break to the sunshine seems to have rejuvinated our mecurial winger he might be able to slot right back in. We've definitley missed his scoring this season. Five tries in three games is pretty impressive, hows he doing in the try scoring charts?