Mauger today and the team

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mauger today and the team

Post by smalldell »

Clearly relishing being the captain and more importatly playing alongside Vesty. In his interview after the match he made a poin of singling Vesty out as the key to Tigers recent form.

On the down side worrying to se 2 props go off injured.....Have to say I was imporessed with Coles replacement whose name I struggle to spell.

Very impressed with Newby and Woods today really played well, as did the whole team..

Well done lads....

We will stll have to improve to beat Gloucester next week though...
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Mauger today and the team

Post by WhitecapTiger »

And improve we will.....

Bonorino I think you mean coming on for Dan Coles

Vesty was class again today, but Mauger was top quality and he's not going to blow his own trumpet in an interview (because we don't like trumpets on the crumbie!! :smt002 )

Glaws will be a test alright and it'll be very close but we will prevail
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Alwig

Post by Alwig »

Mauger is looking like the player we all knew he was before he joined Tigers. His partnership with Vesty is also looking really good, the last 3 games there seems to have been much less confusion between the two of them compared to Mauger/Flood and Mauger/Hougaard. Long may it continue!
Perhaps an example of partnerships being equally, if not more important than individual ability? Vesty in most people's opinion is a less technically proficient fly half (and less decorated internationally etc.) than Flood/Hougaard, however the backline are playing better with him at 10. It will be very interesting to see if the same success happens when Flood/Hougaard get a chance again.

P.S. Corry's ban a blessing in disguise!?!?!?!?!?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

WhitecapTiger wrote:And improve we will.....

Glaws will be a test alright and it'll be very close but we will prevail
KEEP THE FAITH!!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
gingertigers

Post by gingertigers »

Excellent entertainment, but a bit too tense at the end for my liking - hopefully Tigers have at last got this season's away win monkey off their back.

Tigers are still far from the finished article, but at last they seem to have rediscovered the ability to play rugby after the sterility of the Loffreda & Meyer regimes.

The biggest joy is seeing the impact of the ultimate club man, Sam Vesty - always available & always dependable wherever he plays notwithstanding some fairly shabby treatment by successive coaches.

Next week's game against Gloucester looks very tasty now. :smt026 :smt026
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Mauger good today; Dupuy the man and we have to keep him! Vesty, well what can you say? Hes Tigers!!!!!!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Personally if he continues playing like he is then I'd keep Vesty at 10 even when Floode returns especially since he and Mauger seem more in tune.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Is it Vesty that's made the difference or the departure of Meyer and with it the tactic of kicking all ball back to the opposition?
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

I have to say,we do seem to be playing better with Meyer gone and Cocky in charge. I'm very surprised, as rumours coming out of the club suggested that Meyer was the answer to all our ills. However, on our current form we seem to be better off without him.

If this form continues, give the job to Cocky!!!
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

Lest we also forget Mr Hamilton. Thought he was super reliable again.

How refreshing to hear Barnes singing our praises regarding our style of play.

I know we cut it a bit fine in the last few minutes, but it's always harder to defend when a team goes for desperation IMO.

Anybody see Dupuy after the game? He looked absolutely beat! I really like his workrate and, considering he's from across the channel, he seems to be a real team man. He plays like he's Leicester born and bred!

Hope the injuries aren't too bad. DIdn't like it when the ref stopped for Crane's. Heard him say something like "his body went one way and his knee went the other".
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

barson wrote:Personally if he continues playing like he is then I'd keep Vesty at 10 even when Floode returns especially since he and Mauger seem more in tune.
After the game Mauger said that Vesty had made a big difference at 10 and was pushing the players. Good for Sam - he always was a quality player IMO
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Great day today....free tickets and the westwinds "away game attendance" brings another win - 3 out of 3 now ! What a refereshing performance from the team....it really is a simple game, when you draw the man and then pass the ball...amazing ! I do wonder what Meyer was trying to achieve, because Cockers has clearly done the trick, in the short term at least. Great forward display, particularly in the scrums and I like the balance of Newby (Hill-like..into everything and does the basics very well), Woods (not blessed with natural skills, but will play his heart out - and did) and Crane (brute force and always over the gain line - any news on his "injury" ?).

Good news was, we got a seat away from "those drums" and apart from the "Come on Irish" over the tannoy every 3 minutes, it was a very enjoyable day, although a bit uncomfortable in the last 10 minutes. Just nice to see the team playing rugby.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Praise due to Cockers, but also to Matt O'Connor - the backs coach!
Valhalla I am coming!
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

First time post ever,.! As a very long standing supporter,1953 was the first visit to Welford Road ,today was a dawning on the realization ,that for years we have wasted one of our most valuable club assets ,a superb all round player but generally thought to be lacking in pace and maybe too nice a guy to raise contentious issues with the Management.I am sure most of you have picked up on who I refer to,but IMHO I would be upset if RC drops him in favour of Flood or Hougaard , for the run-in.Just some simple sprint training would make him absolutely ideal,and as Mauger hinted, pretty clearly in the post match interview ,he is of like intent.And a PS to the two Peters, Cockerill as Head Coach--------- with maybe our friend Austin as his second in charge .The last three matches should convince them! And how about Tom Croft as a centre? He would be superb.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Croft as a centre - enough of this nonsense, he's a class 6 why move him somewhere he has not and does not play?