Are We Seeing Repercussions of Ground Development?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: Are We Seeing Repercussions of Ground Development?

Post by Kinoulton »

As pointed out by a previous poster, we can only spend up to the salary cap anyway. I would guess that we are doing that this season and will do so next season.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

bc wrote:In the many posts on the ground devlopment I have always raised concerns of how, in many cases, ground development has been at the detriment of the playing side. Most people have stated that Peter Tom and Peter Wheeler would have all this under control.
However, I do suggest that we may be seeing the ground development impacting the playing side.
We do not have a head coach.
Kayser, Rabeni - all interantional players are leaving. Press reports indicate that Tom Varndell will also be leaving.
All internationals and no replacements - oh, a hooker from Nottingham has joined us.
I hope I am wrong and this is a blip and that we have replacements all lined up as well continuing to develop our players.
Expect to see a squad reduction this season - ground re-development would have nothing to do with it seeing as we have Simon Cohen to deal with contractual issues.
willstarr
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by willstarr »

Tigers aren't going to try and make any high-profile signings while they still don't know who the coach will be next season! There's no point in saying you'll spend a reasonably large majority of the salary cap on a player only to find he isn't to the coach's tastes...
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

After the recent performances I think we already have a good squad and would only need to replace players such as TV, BK and SR who are rumored/are leaving.

When we do go on to win the GP and HC this season then we will need the increased capacity to accommodate all the glory seekers :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

You what! I'm no glory seeker.

As I was saying in the pub the other night, following Hull KR's GLORIOUS win over St Helens. I've always been a life long fan...... Is Eddie Waring still playing?
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Kinny dont know you but are we not all glory seekers in that we want to see our team win everything and bathe in the glory of the victory?

I think I was referring to those who want to buy season tickets when we are winning everything but as soon as we have a bad spell they want to throw away their tickets and not renew. Through thick or thin I think people like you me and Bill will Keep the Faith :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

With young international,try scoring wingers like Hurrell coming through the ranks,we don't need to worry and of course he's not the only one .There's an embarrasment of riches within this " club ".
Referring to the ground development , we have been priveledged to play at the premier ground outside of twickenham for decades,that needs both maintaining and improving.It would be foolish to rebuild and not expand,with an eye on the future and increased gates.Now for a "big" game we have to go to the Walkers(thanks city for having us),it's not the same as our old fortress though is it?
If England persist with this stupid eps system and we carry on the way we are playing,you can expect the same number of players being away for large chunks of the season,different players for the autumn squad as we have so many out injured.I expect young Smith to be at least a "saxon",so there's one "star" to put bums on seats for a few years for a start.
The futures very bright and it aint orange,it's RED,WHITE and GREEN.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ALECW

Post by ALECW »

Snorbins is spot on. P.T. did admit last season that the board had taken their eye off the ball bit because of the ground redevelopment.The fact is that this had to be done. There was a real danger that the ground as it is may not have passed the H.AND S. inspections in thenear future.
USED TO BE WESTMIDS ALEC
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Fatonerocks wrote:Kinny dont know you but are we not all glory seekers in that we want to see our team win everything and bathe in the glory of the victory?

No bout a doubt it.

I may have traded in the odd bird for a prettier model during my time, but never my rugby team. Your rugby team is for life.

(Does germaine Greer ever come on this forum?)
dangough

Post by dangough »

Ok, without wanting to repeat stuff already posted:

- The reason the ground development is going to take 3-4 (or more seasons) is because it is being funded through capital raised, not 1 big loan to be paid from existing budget therefore effecting all other areas. No effect on playing staff there!

- I have my personal beef with Simon Cohen (The whole Evans/ JMH fiasco) but he is solely employed to scout and sign new players acording to the brief of the coaching staff. This is completely separate to the ground development. No impact on playersd there!

- To take a football example, players are often shown the ground and facilities when they are being signed so surely a state of the art 30k stadium will be a long term benefit to player recruitment?

- The players we are losing are all entirely predictable (Didn't Kayser say when he joined that he needed first team action to further his career!?) and the really class players aren't likely to be moving yet (unless the buyers have French cash!)

- Also, what is this obsession with 'filling the stadium'? If we fill the new stand next season it will surely have been a waste of time and money as we won't have made it big enough and will have to make it bigger to satisfy demand again (Like Saints did!!!). If we saw a 3k average attendance increase next season and then another 2k extra each year for the next 5 (A big stretch!) then the stadium will be paying back nicely!!!

All in all I can see no way that the new stadium can impact on current operations given the super cautious financial planning the club have done!