Eng vs Wales: Ref & Beeb Commentary Team

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Fair Play
Tiger Cub

Re: Eng vs Wales: Ref & Beeb Commentary Team

Post by Fair Play »

england were not "totally rubbish" just 8 points inferior .

Did leicester not cheat against Munster ?
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Fair Play wrote:england were not "totally rubbish" just 8 points inferior .

Did leicester not cheat against Munster ?
Its not cheating if you get away with it :smt002 but yes, thats what makes the best flankers though, playing on the edge of the rules. Just ask Neil Back and Martyn Williams. :smt023
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

It's interesting how welsh supporters see us as being myopic, yet can't see how they are themselves. What they seem unable to realise is that the main reason for people commenting on this thread is to say how they feel the ref was uneven in his decision-making, not that he was actually biased.

Surely, if certain regular posters from other parts of GB are so fed up with what happens on this forum, why don't they just stop going on this website?

And, we were "stuffed"? :smt043
Fair Play
Tiger Cub

Post by Fair Play »

That last reply says it all,regarding your attitude to the game.

Your saying Cheating is not cheating if you can get away with it.

Enough said .
Fair Play
Tiger Cub

Post by Fair Play »

OK

NOT EXACTLY STUFFED BUT 8 POINTS INFERIOR

READ THE NEWSPAPERS IT WILL CONFIRM THIS.
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

Fair Play wrote:That last reply says it all,regarding your attitude to the game.

Your saying Cheating is not cheating if you can get away with it.

Enough said .
Haha well im sorry but if you seriously think players (flankers especially) dont constantly infringe behind the referees back (Martyn Williams included), you must be living on cloud nine im afraid. Have you ever actually played the game?
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Fair play - Wales cheated and got away with it. England cheated and didnt get away with it. End of story.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

The main difference between the teams were the penalties. From penalties conceeded England lost two men and conceeded 18 points to the boot of Jones. From the penalties Wales conceeded they lost no men to the bin and conceeded no points. This is a massive diffence but when you consider the penalty count was 13 against England and 10 against Wales the difference doesn't look that great.

I still think Ryan Jones sealing off near his line was a carbon copy of the Goode sin binning and LB taking out Armitage in the air was about as obvious a yellow card as you are ever likely to see. As I've mentioned previously I think if the England players had swamped the ref and the aggressor the way MW and the rest of the Welsh did in the Wales Scotland game then we would have seen a yellow card. Instead, and credit to them, they carried on playing to the whistle. :smt038
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

I agree Martin Johnson's pre-match comments were ill-judged, simply inviting Kaplan to look for slowing down infringements. A stronger ref might have seen some of the Welsh infringemnts too (how the challenge on Armitage went without a Yellow is beyond me - dont suppose the citing officer will get involved as a pen was given, that's all part of the game.)

IMHO MJ is still learning his trade as a manager, and those comments showed it. A far better performance from the team on the pitch, but no-one should be kidded - not good enough - yet - Keep the faith!
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Kaplan was a disgrace to rugby. He allowed Wales to be off side at every breakdown, their throwing in at the lineout was so unstraight I caught 2 myself and he was talking to England all the time simply inviting the Welsh to do what they liked.

The high tackle on Armatidge could have been red let alone yellow, and their slowing down near the try line did not even see a sniff of a yellow card.

Quite frankly he was completely out of his depth....
FloydRaser

Post by FloydRaser »

I wonder if this has been mooted before:
What if there were a Formula 1 type press conference after each match with the ref in the middle and either the 2 captains or coaches on each side? Questions could be fielded by Guscott, Davies, Moore, Healey etc.
Surely then each ref would have some real motivation for fair play? :smt017
Captain Sensible

Post by Captain Sensible »

Fairplay, like everyone else you are entitled to your opinions but I think you need to review your name with comments such as yours! Don't think they go together!

As for yesterdays game, yes England lost, the ref was poor and inconsistant as appears to be the norm these days and all rugby fans get frustrated by it.
Even though it is too easy to blame the ref, if an offence on the pitch is justiffication for punishment then it has to be the same for both teams not just the one! this did not appear to happen yesterday.
Wales won and probably over the 80 minutes deserved to. But you don't always get what you deserve. England certainly had a chance to win the game but didn't take it.

Todays news - tomorrows chip paper!
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Wales deserved there win. England had more aggression and better tactics than we have seen for a long time all plusses but in the end despite having chances that were not really good enough. The refs are human and make mistakes we need to give them a break for odd errors. My problem with refs is the lack of consistency between them, interpretations at one game are often so different from the next this is not good for the game.

Yes Caplan made mistakes yesterday as every ref does, I think the Goode card could have gone the other way with Wales pinged for holding on but that is just it my opinion! The ref makes the judgements without the benefit of slow mo video !

Lets gert all the refs trying to play the game in the same way so players know where they are. AND PLEASE PLEASE can we get the assistant refs far more envolved!
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

Mat wrote: My problem with refs is the lack of consistency between them, interpretations at one game are often so different from the next this is not good for the game.
Spot on, by far my biggest complaint, is the vast difference in the application of the laws between them.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

Funny how the number of Welsh WUMs on this board has increased dramatically since yesterday... a coincidence, I'm sure.

(And I'm not including the regular Welsh posters such as tircoeds etc.)

To all the rest: if you don't like what you're reading by pro-England English fans about England on an English club forum then perhaps you should head back to gwlad and pass round the monocle on there?