Should M Williams have got a yellow card

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Should M Williams have got a yellow card

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

I thought it was disgusting that M Williams ran up to a player lying unconscious on the ground and man handled him. Firstly he should not have got involved and secondly he was reckless and could have caused the Scotland player more harm.
Last edited by Smurphswillgetya on Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Should M Williams be cited?

Post by gooders060981 »

Fatonerocks wrote:I thought it was disgusting that M Williams ran up to a player lying unconscious on the ground and man handled him. Firstly he should not have got involved and secondly he was reckless and could have caused the Scotland player more harm.
Totally agree, he could have casued some serious damage. Jonathan Davies should be taken off the TV due to his complete lack of interest of anything not in a Wales shirt.

As the scotsmans motionless body lay on the ground all Davies could say over and over again was "give him a yellow card and get him off", no concern for the unconcious player on the ground in a bad way. If that had been Williams or Byrne it would have been a very different story all together.

I am afraid the Welsh are making enemies!!!!
Geordan Murphy for England
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Watch it again before you make such a ridiculous post.

Cross was well out of order. Williams protected his man against foul play as any such captain should do.

You could tell he immediately saw a problem and backed away.

You give a bad name to Tigers fans for posting such rubbish !
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

It was an instant reaction to a poor challenge on a team mate. Not excuseable but understandable.

As far as I recall, after the incident he ran up, placed his hands on Scottish players shirt, but before he did anything in particular (like lift him up to smash him down), another Scottish player arrived and Williams let go, realising he was injured.

Not great sportmanship or captaincy maybe, but not enough for a citing.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

yes he shouldn't have got involved (especially as captain) however, if it was a tigers player who was taken in the air you would expect other players to go in and 'act as peacemakers' which Johnno has ddone before while captain,

Was he to know before he got there and started to pick him up that he was unconcious? I'm not trying to defend him, but he did 'let go' of him fairly quickly as if he realised his was out of it,

potentially the red mist set in, but it looked as though he didn't seem to know he was knocked out - however theres arguments for and against a citing in this case - i would expect a stern word from the powers that be
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Went in to have a 'quiet word' and when he saw the scotish prop was hurt stepped away. Where's the problem? :smt017
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

seaweed wrote:Watch it again before you make such a ridiculous post.

Cross was well out of order. Williams protected his man against foul play as any such captain should do.

You could tell he immediately saw a problem and backed away.

You give a bad name to Tigers fans for posting such rubbish !
"Williams protected his man against foul play as any such captain should do"

Protecting against an unconcious man?

Do you have some sort of problem with me as you have just left a stupid post against another post I made on a different subject?
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

You can't really blame him for the imediate reaction. I think it was Jones who was about to join in and then realised what had happened and stopped Williams at which point he did stop immediately. I do think however that J Davies was bang out of order as his immediate concern was seeing a yellow card and having a go at Cross. It was a yellow card offence and it was Cross's own fault but in this game our first and primary concern should always be for the injured player - sort the rest out afterwards. JD appeared to show no concern at all to start off with and only seemed to take an interest after a few minutes when perhaps he paid a bit of thought to how he was sounding.

I did however fully respect the refs handling of the affair saying it was a yellow card offence but he wasn't going to card a guy on a stretcher.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

In response to some of the replies to my question.Point is how was he defending his player? How was he acting as 'peacemaker' Often players running in to a situation when they shouldnt are given a yellow card. How am i bringing down the name of Tigers supporters by discussing the actions/incidence in a game? I am not saying he should be cited but looking for people's opinions on the incident.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Crumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crumby »

Simple reply to original post - NO as soon as he realised player was hurt he backed off.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Re: Should M Williams have got a yellow card

Please note I have changed the title of the thread to should he have got a yellow card from should be have been cited
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Fatonerocks wrote:Please note I have changed the title of the thread to should he have got a yellow card from should be have been cited
The answer is still no in my mind.

I thought the ref did fine, had a word with captains to get the teams to calm down and to have a word with the players not taking things into their own hands
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

Fatonerocks wrote:Please note I have changed the title of the thread to should he have got a yellow card from should be have been cited
personally I think he should. I understand people who are saying that it was a spare of the moment thing but I just cant help thinking that the guy was unconcious on the floor lying helpless and was for some time.

Williams as captain should have taken a little more care as it could have been much much more serious. Williams got to him a good few seconds after the incident to which the scotsman had still not moved, what did he think had happend to him, just having a little lie down!
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

yes he probably should have, guess its down to the ref if he's got the guts to card him,

one thing that Moore said during the edf final seems appropriate though

J.White had just gone after Cobain (sp) after ellis ahd been taken high (stiffish arm around the neck) "you protect your younger players, even if they're full internationals themselves"
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
PJ_BECKS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PJ_BECKS »

Shame that he injured himself but Cross shouldn't have challenged a player in the air anyway so what happened was always very possible. If MW had carried on then he would have been sinbinned but noticed the player was injured so went on his merry way.