Aaron Mauger

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rowbo

Aaron Mauger

Post by Rowbo »

Hi :, Im new to the forum, and was just wondering about your opinion on Aaron Mauger . It seems to me that he is too predictable and is (dare i say it) a bit of a has been.He seems to just have a few dummys that he knows, and never seems to break the line. When he does, he is very impressive - granted - but he doesnt do it very often for an ex-all back does he??? Please tell me im not the only one that is slightly dissapointed with him?
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Aaron Mauger

Post by Hull Fan »

Slightly disappointed is putting it mild. I think he is a bit of a Graeme Hick of the rugby world. Looks fantastic against average or poor teams, Treviso spring to mind, come the big teams he`s either absent on the pitch or pulled a dodgy hamstring.
Get him back to New Zealand and try and develop a new combination next season, thanks Aaron but on yer way mate.
I think it would be nice to tempt Luke McAllister away from Sale, he cant be enjoying being it up there and hes looked quality in another poor team.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Shepshed massive
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Shepshed massive »

I think the Hick analogy is a bad one. Mauger can roll his defensive sleeves up when he wants to -- that's not a sign of a flat track bully. It's true that he hasn't performed as hoped, but it could be a coaching thing.
Captain Sensible

Post by Captain Sensible »

I think comparing Graeme Hick with Aaron Mauger is way off the mark.
Hick has been an outstanding servant for Worcester, yes he may have failed to reach the same heights with England but he stayed loyal to the team he played for and was a excellent consistant performer over many years.

Loyalty to one club is few and far between these days in most sports!

5 stars to Graeme and hope he enjoys his retirement.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Sorry to all Mr Hicks fans and i may of been miss guided in using him as a comparison.
He has been a good servant for worcester over the years.
May humble apologies :smt011
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Crumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crumby »

have to say i think Mauger is giving it his best - last year the game plan didn't suit (again no joined up thinking in the players recruited compared to the type of game we want to play) and this season he has been a rock in a struggling backline that has all the potential but so far (with exception to a few pasages of play) has had to live off kicked or slow breakdown ball.
I think the best is still to come.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Class player. Best back this year.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
nursy
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by nursy »

Poor signing should go ASAP,best back ??? Who are you watching???. Also remove Flood!!!!!!!!! pathetic!!!!!!!!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Mauger is the only midfield decision maker we have who can orchestrate anything other than 'kick and clap'.

I remain genuinely confused that so many appear not to be able to see this.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Rizzo, isnt this thread a waste of time. The issue of Mauger has been discussed at length in another thread. Do we have to go through the debate again about whether we think Mauger is good or bad? By the way he has been our best back all season along with GM.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

To be fair, FatOneRocks, there isn't a thread actually titled indicating a discussion on Mauger, there are mentions and discussions about his performances and skills in threads titled "Observations", "Scott Hamilton - a great addition to the team" and "Tigers Performance". Plus the Op is a newbie and this is his/her first post so I think lenience in this case is applicable :smt001

I personally rate Mauger quite highly, he did take a little while to settle, but he seems to be a good leader, and makes good breaks and tackles.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

nursy wrote:Poor signing should go ASAP,best back ??? Who are you watching???. Also remove Flood!!!!!!!!! pathetic!!!!!!!!
Who is he watching? I guess he's watching Mauger against the back drop of all our other backs.

None of them have done anything special, rarely have there been any incisive breaks, we need an enormous amount of territory and possession before we so much as threaten the try line.

Mauger is certainly as good as any of our other backs, and probably better.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
TigerMuz

Post by TigerMuz »

Good defender, and only does the same few steps and dummies because he doesn't have enough good quality ball to use.

Laughing at people slipping on the treacherous Crumbie Stand steps since 2004
MR
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by MR »

Mauger has been very good this season and was missed on Saturday.

He could start to build an effective centre partnership with Rabeni if they can get game time together.

We will also need his experience if Corry is not around for a while.

I rate him!

:smt023
"If in doubt boot it out"