Replacements:

16 Huw Bennett
17 Cai Griffiths
18 Lyndon Bateman
19 Tom Smith
20 Jamie Nutbrown
21 Dan Biggar
22 Jonny Vaughton
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Re: Ospreys Team

Post by westy154 »

It's a frighteningly star studded back line isn't it?
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

9 - 15 is as strong as they could put out.

Hope to see lots of ball in hand.No needless kicking and giving away game ball or could be a long 80 minutes.
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

We'll moider der bums.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

A very strong starting lineup for the O's, certainly stronger than ours on paper.

It will be a damning indictment of the Ospreys coaching setup if such a team fails to make the HEC playoffs.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

With the amount of money they've thrown around on players in the past few years, 1 HC Quarter Final will not be seen as a solid investment.
John
---
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

A far, far better backline than Tigers. A Tigers thrashing on the cards. Our backs have been poor all season and only scored 8 tries last week because they were playing weak opposition. Ospreys are not weak opposition.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

g wrote:A far, far better backline than Tigers. A Tigers thrashing on the cards. Our backs have been poor all season and only scored 8 tries last week because they were playing weak opposition. Ospreys are not weak opposition.
Great to see g is so positive again. Glass half empty? Not likely, it is completely drained, in fact it was never full!
Always a Tiger
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

But the Ospreys backline is better than Leicester's. IMO.

We may have an edge in the front row, and probably have the stronger (forward) bench. But that's about it.
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

dailywaffle wrote:But the Ospreys backline is better than Leicester's. IMO.
Agreed. As a team we seem to be pretty comparable, but player for player, backs in particular, they look strong. Byrne, Henson, Williams, Hook, Philips would grace any squad in Europe. Not that a ours wouldn't, but they surely have the edge in the backs.
John
---
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I don't like to say this but they look better in all positions bar the front row. Tigers will need to click on Saturday.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

gkbradley wrote:I don't like to say this but they look better in all positions bar the front row. Tigers will need to click on Saturday.
Not sure about that, their midfield can be suspect particularly if Henson doesn't show up (as he didn't in Perpignan), Geordan can stand up against anyone IMO and our bench is stronger too.

Having said all that, they are at full strength, we are missing 8 players who would have featured IMO (Ayerza, Moody, Mauger, Blaze, Tuilagi, Hipkiss, Deacon and Ellis.) so that has passed the advantage to them.

Late withdrawls of Moody and Mauger have definitely tipped it slightly their way I think.
Always a Tiger
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

OK, so there back line looks good on paper - games are not won on paper as we all know. Start to dig deeper and you have to wonder if Henson can actually be bothered to make an effort, Hook is having similar problems to Flood in terms of consistency and I'm not convinced that Byrne is 100% fit - I think Ospreys would want him "in" even at 90% for a big game like this. I'm more worried about Bowe, Phillips and the Ospryes back row than anything.

On the other side of the pitch, our back line looks solid rather than spectacular.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

gkbradley wrote:I don't like to say this but they look better in all positions bar the front row. Tigers will need to click on Saturday.
I thought exactly the same thing GK. That's the only area where man-for-man we look marginally stronger. I think we are going to have to play very defensively to get anything but then that is a risky strategy if Ospreys get an early score or two.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I thought exactly the same thing GK. That's the only area where man-for-man we look marginally stronger. I think we are going to have to play very defensively to get anything but then that is a risky strategy if Ospreys get an early score or two.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play