Tom Varndell

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Tom Varndell

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Can anyone shed some light on why Tom Verndell is not playing at the moment or why he isn't even on the bench? Is he injured? There is nothing that I have seen on the web pages.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tom Varndell

Post by Darc Tiger »

Ah one of this seasons favourite topics on this forum.

The mysteries surrounding Tommy are numerous. And there are no certain facts. It often boils down to just a few theories.

1. Lack of drive on the field. As you have noticed if you have watched him this season, he is always half arsed. Most people ut this down to him have some personal troubles out of the club which is occupying his mind.

2. Hyneke didnt think his style of play fitted with his plans. This is unlikely tho as who wouldnt want the fastest man in rugby on your wing?

3. Early season injuries which hampered his progress in early season, leading to below par performances and inevitable replacement by Johne, Matt and now Hamilton. With all three playing so well, its been hard to give him a chance.

Make what you want of it really, coz we really dont know...
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

Yeah I went to Gloucester, where he didn't get the ball too much, the same happened at Worcester... where the ball seemed to stop coming his way!!! And then at Bath...
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

Pure speculation is all we have - Heyneke did make a comment in the Mercury a long while ago that Tom needed time to 'sort some things out', and someone mentioned on here he had issues outside of rugby but its all a bit News of the world.We dont get to see what happens on the training grounds and if we did it would probably answer q's about Tom,Erinle etc. Maybe they're just not working with the new backs moves....(my little joke..actually it would be nice to see some new backs moves!!)
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

To be brutaly honest, the way he has played this season and I have seen him in every game first hand, I dont care if I didnt see him in a tigers shirt again.
Last edited by Rizzo on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geordan Murphy for England
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

The other day .....
gooders060981 wrote:I am just fed up of people slaughtering all our backs.
Today .....
gooders060981 wrote:To be brutaly honest, the way he has played this season and I have seen him in every game first hand, I dont care if I didnt see him in a tigers shirt again. r.
Hysterical.
generallee

Post by generallee »

Totally agree with JGriffith but I must add that TV is not being selected because of his poor defence.

We have been letting teams score too many weak trys and Varndell can be such a massive liability.

I also agree that Matt Smith is nowhere near the finished article and has a long way to go before he can relax as a regular 1st team player.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

TV is suspect in defence ... but our current back line is extremely suspect in its ability to score tries (save for Italian sides). If there are no other problems with him TV is worth a run in the side ... no one in the last two months has done enough to keep him out.
MR
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by MR »

This year our defence has been the reason for so much critisism. TV does not contribute to this.

I have watched him in the two development games (where Matt Smith has not been playing and not passing) and he was no better. Frankly he should be head and shoulders in these games and the fact is he was ordinary and still lacked defence. He did not have the hunger of Cobden or Harrison or Sam Vesty if you want to talk about commitment.

He may have personal problems and that is a shame if it is getting in the way of his rugby.

It was easier to look good in a side that was playing well as we were in the games he shone in last year and in previous years.

However i'm not convinced he is worth a place in the squad and although not so brutal as Gooders I would not be suprised if we have seen the last of TV as a regular at Tigers.
:smt023
"If in doubt boot it out"
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

dailywaffle wrote:The other day .....
gooders060981 wrote:I am just fed up of people slaughtering all our backs.
Today .....
gooders060981 wrote:To be brutaly honest, the way he has played this season and I have seen him in every game first hand, I dont care if I didnt see him in a tigers shirt again.
Hysterical.
Nice bit of editing there, do you work for big brother by any chance?

If you add the rest of my post it will also state that I have been against Varndell for his poor attitude towards the team game and not just randomly picking on a player who is playing and cutting them to pieces which I seem to remember you where doing to Flood who played very well on Saturday!
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

jgriffin wrote:A typical 'gooders' opinion, nice to see your unjaundiced view of sack 'em and sell 'em alive and well.
Fortunately a large number of Tigers fans are a bit less 'brutal' than you, or at least seem to have some semblance of ethical response to a human dilemma. And some went to the matches and have seen how a certain player - Matt Smith - would not pass to TV, and also cut down his channels. Not only was this enough to get the Crumbie howling at Smith to pass (he didn't, except a hospital one), but against Treviso, GM let a volley of expletives loose towards Smith for doing exactly the same to him, while standing by the 22 flag six feet away. It's easy to make the potential competition for your berth to look rubbish if you want to......
It is clearly a combination of circumstances at work here - but you don't go from GP top scorer 2007/8 to zero in a few months for no reasons, and many would like to find out why, rather than spit out 'sack im'.
What is it with some on here for Varndell, are you really blaming TV poor performances on Matt Smith who has been excellent for us this season and has taken his chance with both hands and run with it?

Varndell has not had game time for a reason, so its not just me who thinks he is poor
Tiger_Chief
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tiger_Chief »

Tom last year scored alot of tries playing off Andy Goode. I think he needs to find a way to link himself into the team. I really hope Tom gets some form and can then come on as an impact player.
All good 7's play on the edge if not they are a waste of space!!
Alwig

Post by Alwig »

Its all well and good saying he didn't get any ball, but one thing Tom is bad at doing is looking for the ball. The top class winger in the modern game can't just stand around looking sheepish waiting for someone to put him into space and make him look good. He has to seek out opportunities more otherwise he won't nail down a first team place.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I think we should do as our head coach has said give Tom the time to sort his problems out.
He has played some very good games for us, Yes last season but you don't just become a bad player he has the skill we have all seen it so lets just back off & give him time.

:smt024
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022