Saints Game - the defining moment of our Season ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Saints Game - the defining moment of our Season ?

Post by mike »

Saturday's game will show if the Tigers really have the committment to achieve success this season . It will be hard to get a win - we've a pretty poor record at the Gardens- but with the talent available we really ought to be able to win games like this .I believe that this game is a real test of the teams determination as if they don't step up to the mark and produce a result the season is in danger of imploding . We need to be aggressive from the start and attack - if we let Saints have the initiative we are lost .I'm going ( with some Saints fans !) so lets hope the Team that played the last 20 mins against bath is the one that turns up .
tommo

Re: Saints Game - the defining moment of our Season ?

Post by tommo »

And as a Saints fan, I hope the side that played Quins show up for us. If so, it'll will be a storming, bruising and highly entertaining match.
Oh, When The Saints Go Marching In!
Mr. Grumpy

Post by Mr. Grumpy »

mike wrote:Saturday's game will show if the Tigers really have the committment to achieve success this season .
I don't thing the Tiger's commitment is in doubt. To me, the problems recently have been a lack of cutting edge generally and nous and cool heads when we have been under pressure.

It's going to be a tough one and personally any win for me will do - and hopefully no one is going to suggest that a try bonus point is crucial to our success at the end of the season.
A man does not always need to wear a red nose to be considered a clown
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

Me and the missus will be going to Franklins Gardens this weekend (my first visit), as guests of a Saints friend of ours.

We're looking forward to it immensely.

I also hope the spirit of the last 20 minutes of the Bath game will continue for the entirity of the Saints game.

I would hate not to be able to shout on the boys (even in the midst of Saints fans :smt026 :smt041 ) for lack of effort and enterprise on Tigers' part.
boon

Post by boon »

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/3831_5355.php

follow the link, excuse the appalling grammar in use in the first sentence and you'll see that tomorrow is a busy day at the gardens.

free hats: i can understand tigers fans wont be especially interested in a saints coloured wolly hat but if you live in/ near northampton that 10% discount might come in handy (typically i bought 4 new tyres at that place about 6 weeks ago :smt012 )

parking: going to be tough tomorrow with the cobblers playing earlier in the day so leave yourselves plenty of time. and bear in mind that getting out of the club car park takes an absolute age compared to getting in. do avoid the life building estate (new housing around the base of the lift tower) as clampers are likely to be in use!

post match band: i remember these as being very good when they were 'ska trek' last year, so if you are not in a rush check them out.

tigerbob & missus tigerbob (and any other 1st time visitors) -other than the result i hope you all have a great visit to the gardens tomorrow. :smt039

and with a bucket collection in aid of the teenage cancer trust feel free to bring some spare change too:

http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/3831_5358.php :smt023
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Northampton Saints vs Leicester Tigers at Franklin's Gardens

Referee: Wayne Barnes
Touch judges: Robin Goodliffe, Paul Emerson
Television match official: Graham Hughes

Looking forward to visiting Franklin Gardens tomorrow and seeing a good East Midlands derby game.

Team line up looks good enough to take a win, just need to turn up for 80 minutes. A win will certainly help our push for a top four finish.
Results will go for us at some point during the seasosn with the clubs above us taking points off each other.

:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Tigerbob wrote:Me and the missus will be going to Franklins Gardens this weekend (my first visit), as guests of a Saints friend of ours.

We're looking forward to it immensely.

I also hope the spirit of the last 20 minutes of the Bath game will continue for the entirity of the Saints game.

I would hate not to be able to shout on the boys (even in the midst of Saints fans :smt026 :smt041 ) for lack of effort and enterprise on Tigers' part.
I'd be interested in your match report tigerbob
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

I don't think that we lost because of a lack of effort or enterprise, i just think Saints were in the mood to take apart ANYONE who happened to be playing them on Saturday.

Tigers were ripped apart by superior inter-passing at close quarters by the Saints. The heavy hits were raining in from the Tigers but by the time the hit came in the ball had already gone.

Tigers were in the frustrating mode of knocking on, dropping the ball or mis-passing every time they had a real chance of scoring.

The honest truth is we were extremely lucky to come away with a losing bonus point. It should have been 23-6 at half-time (well 23-9 if Toby hadn't fluffed the easiest of chances RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE POSTS :smt013 ).

Having said that, and with ALL the good play by Saints, I thought Tigers were actually unlucky not to win the game in the end.

We were well into their 22 in the last 5 minutes of the game, and one of the Saints players came right round the outside to steal a ball from our ruck, unbelievably Wayne Barnes let play carry on! Even Saints fans around me were astonished he let play go on.

Even Cockers had to admit in the post-match interview that it would have been a travesty of justice if Tigers had won it in the end, and I admit to feeling a little ashamed that we came away with a point as well.

I don't think Saints will be beaten at Franklins Gardens any time soon. The crowd were immense (I don't want to have to listen to 'When the Saints go marching in' again for a LONG time), they were definitely a 16th man.

Then in the last 4 minutes it was a repeat of Saints win at Welford Road 2 years ago. They just kept hold of the ball and stymied any chance of a Tigers onslaught.

And just like the Bath game last week, Saints final penalty in the last minute of the game went straight into the crowd, instead of risking a chance of hitting the woodwork, and setting up a possible Harlequinesque chance of Tigers hitting back in injury time.

Ali-in-all I enjoyed the atmosphere and the friendly banter, and the Saints fans were very accomodating. I'd certainly go to Franklins Gardens again.
GrumpyDad

Post by GrumpyDad »

We went on Saturday, stood on the terrace near the try line and apart from the display from the Tigers & the score at the end had a great afternoon. Whilst I think that the Saints fans around us were extremely myopic in their views of any infringment :smt002, the banter & the general behaviour of the Saints fans was fantastic, hand shakes all round at the end.

Let's be honest, they beat us because they were better than we were, & thank God that Myler forgot to bring his kicking boots. Our forwards were too flat when receiving the ball hoping to carry into impact, which meant that we were going backwards, & our backs drift across the pitch too much, resulting in any attack move being squeezed out wide.

No, the refereeing was not of the highest standard, but that applied to both sides, and Wayne Barnes needs to review his own performance & decisions carefully, but we lost because they played the game & the referee better than we did.

A few questions,
Why can't we pick & drive? :smt017
Why can't we catch the ball? :smt017
Why wasn't our lineout working? :smt017
Why aren't the kids at our home games allowed on the pitch after the game like they are at Franklins's & other grounds that I have been to? :smt017
ruck it

Post by ruck it »

As a Saints man can I add a couple of points ? I had the pleasure to take a group of Saints and Tigers supporters to the game on Saturday - pleasure not simply because of the result but because I am proud enough or biased enough to believe that we share in the East Mids some of the most knowledgeable and dedicated support in the country. We came to Welford Road earlier in the season and had a great time - and again Saturday the whole party came away from the ground having seen a tough uncompromising classic East Mids derby - and regardless of our colours we all had a brilliant day - boy we missed you last year and we are delighted to have you back at the Gardens and the good news for us is that we will see you again next year as there is little doubt now that we will finish in a safe position this season

My point I guess is win lose or draw we love having you here and jointly as supporters lets please make sure we never lose this attitude and approach - I have read some real rubbish since the game from both supporters so please come on guys !! - I think Rugby is at a defining moment in terms of sportsmanship and supporters behaviour and I would like to think that again we can collectively lead the field

See you next season !
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

I agree with the above posts - Saturday was my first time to FG and can not wait for the rematch next year.
The atmosphere before during and after the match was great and the saints 16th man was amazing. I know we didn't play well at all, but that said I can't see any team going there and winning if the crowd get behind the team like the did on sat. I also think we tigers fans were in fine voice.

:smt041

One question - why is the saints mascot a dog? :smt051
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

It's a "Saint" Bernard, Suz - called (I believe) Bernie.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Crumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crumby »

Nope - the defining moment of our season was when somebody changed the rules to "Rugby League" after we had spent years and money obtaining Rugby Union players :smt010
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm not sure the rule changes are the root of our problems - certainly the maul changes haven't helped.

However we haven't been functioning as a team for a lot longer than before the rules changed.

The backs have created nothing for ages - just uninventive boshing aside from a few kicks through from Goode for Varndell to chase.
This season has been worse - there has been no Varndell or other rapid winger to chase kicks & even if there had been the kicks have been too long - almost as if our tactics are simply to hope the opposition full back drops it & conceeds a scrum!

Whenever we have the ball the back line up way back from the gain line and wait until they have the ball before they start to run. I thought the point of standing deep was to enable the player to be up to speed when they receive the ball.

Most teams have well organised defences - we need to make gaps not just bash into the tackler & hope they miss!