Heyneke Meyer - How is he doing?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Heyneke Meyer - How is he doing?

Post by bluntiger »

What is the general feeling toward our new coach now we are almost three months into the new regime?

IMO he has done well.

On the positives I believe he clearly has the dressing room on his side, many players played at the weekend because the team needed them and because he asked them to play when in reality, last year they would have sat on the sidelines. Also, he has attracted some new signings, Hamilton, Hougaard and Newby but I don't want us to become a team of foreign legionaires! He is also very straight forward, he seems to say it the way it is which is refreshing and when I see TV interviews, he is clearly passionate!

Downsides, we are still not consistent and WR is far from a fortress but then again, those qualities take time. We can also be accused of throwing away some chances - Bath, and we should never have lost to Wasps. The least said about Cardiff the better, chalk that up to a bad day! I also have a concern on the defense but I know we are in the process of recruiting a defense coach so again, time. We have also ridden our luck this year, Irish, Worcester.

All-in-all, I do not believe we could have been in a better position three months into the Meyer regime and I believe the next few years could get us back to the golden era of 2000/1.

It was hilarious seeing him on crutches with 17000+ fans thinking 'YOU PLONKER'!
Always a Tiger
bwightman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by bwightman »

In three years with Meyer at the helm we can consistently win everything. Hopefully...
Ruggafan

Post by Ruggafan »

Just be patient and give him a chance to get the guys on his side and the Tigers will be unstopable.

I hope Supersport will show your game against the Sharks sometime over the weekend.
Tiggers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tiggers »

I think he is doing well and leading us in the right direction.
Of course he isn't going to make an incrediable dramatic entrance at the beginning of the season, but with time I think he'll help us to bring our trophies home :smt003 :smt003
:)
hiraldos
Tiger Cub

Post by hiraldos »

At the moment i'm not all that impressed - we still seem to be playing the sort of kicking game that ML found so agreeable.

When I watched the England v Australia game I though that the style of play was far more exciting and adventurous than tigers. I'm not sure the current coaching team could produce that sort of display but i'm happy to give it 2 seasons before calling for heads to roll!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Hij is de man.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Recruitment - 7/10
On field results - 5/10
PR - 5/10

Slightly better than Marcello but not much so.

Has potential though.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The thing that has me convinced he is the right man is the demeanour of the players. They now look like they want to play and compete to the final whistle, that was what I felt was missing last season.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Down in the dumps Bill?

KTF!
Valhalla I am coming!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Just pragmatic fleabane.

The fath is kept!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Some harsh words from several people here.

I for one am quite impressed and hopeful at the moment. There were more handling moves against Quins on Saturday than in the entire 2007/8 season.

I just hope we can keep hold of the young talent we have in the squad and not bring in too many more Southern Hemisphere players.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

This season P7 W5 L2 F159 A133 TF15 TA12 LB1 Position 4th Out of PG Cup

Last season P7 W5 L2 F165 A128 TF15 TA 11 LB1 Position 3rd In PG Cup

I see no swallows.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

If last season was when the next generation come through, this season we are in the process of consolidation. We are doing well at the moment but we need to work on the basics before we can play an exciting game (England tried to play an exciting game without the basics and they ended up getting knocked back by the Boks).
I think Meyer took no time in stamping on his authority, something that ML didn't really do. Meyer is just far more adept to the club environment.
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Heineke

Post by jack »

This chap is just what we need. He's in it for the long haul - thats fine by me. The recent supporters evening with Cozza (who admitedly is always very loyal to his bosses) showed that he cares, that he is knowledgable and that he is a very committed, decent bloke. We are playing decent rugby it will get even better. That doesnt mean book tickets for finals just yet, but there will be glory days coming.Cozza said that he wished he had another 5 years with this bloke! Is that good enoughIt wasnt losing last year that got to me - it was the WAY we lost. That seems behind us. Pat
Howard didnt win silverware all the time - he got it right though didnt he? Heineke Meyer will do the same. Just watch. :smt023
Tigers - true Champions!
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

He's making Cozza wish he was 5 years younger! Hhe's got the upmost faith and is really enjoying his time. Corry backs Meyer to get Tigers winning everything, but needs a couple of season to slowly mold the players