Johnno - "The best excuse yet"

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

quincy

Johnno - "The best excuse yet"

Post by quincy »

Although you cannot believe all that is said in the press, I was highly amused by Johnnos comment in the Mercury, that Danny Care would have scored two tries had he been playing in the Premiership. Excuse me, I thought he was playing in an International against South Africa.
On this basis then, Cipriani would have not had his kicks charged down if he were in the Premiershipo and perhaps we could have expected Vicery to have scored a hat trick of tries IF he has have been playing for Gloucester under 10s !!
We have an Elite Squad of 30 players. That leaves 15 to come in. Give someone else a go and put some pride back in the England jersey.
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

I know what you're saying, but i think he's referring to the step up between club and international, and that players have to get used to it.

Doesn't make the result much easier to bear though.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Mr. Johnson has said that he isn't going to make major changes...
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

That is very worrying and if true then he must be in the denial phase. Personally I expected more from MJ than what I've seen and heard so far.
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

Please don't give Johnno a hard time, I know it's frustrating for you but he has only been in charge of three Internationals! He said it himself in an interview long before he became manager (he was actually asked about Andy Robinson - at the time he was coach) and he made a good point in saying that the coaches and managers work hard to select the best players etc. but it's not the managers fault if the players are making silly errors on the pitch - they're professionals - it's easy to point the finger at coaches when things are going wrong - but when teams start to win then it's all about the team! - Well said big man.
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Sorry Tiger Eye, but he has had 3 full games in charge now and we are STILL not number 1 ranked in the world.

He has had his chance and should now resign. It is time for the next man in charge.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Westy, perhaps you should add (tongue in cheek) after that comment...
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

westy154 wrote:Sorry Tiger Eye, but he has had 3 full games in charge now and we are STILL not number 1 ranked in the world.

He has had his chance and should now resign. It is time for the next man in charge.
:smt002
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Billb »

Whilst I agree that after 3 games it is not time to be calling for MJ's head, but sadly, there are a lot of similarities between MJ's reign and those of Ashton and Robinson.

We were promised that players would be picked on form, yet the bottom but one side has 8 players in the matchday squad, more than the top 5 clubs put together.

Cipriani has 3 kicks charged down, resulting in 3 crucial tries, and admits that he has generally played poorly, but keeps his place.

The backs lack any penetration with the ball, play laterally in the opposition 22, resulting in the wingers getting the ball against at least 3 members of the opposition.

The Forwards failed to stamp their presence in any of the games. Slow ball from rucks and mauls, poor defensive positioning, and lateral play results in lost yardage, especially on the oppositions 22.

Johnno, look at your squad, look at the Premiership and change the way the team plays,and the squad composition, or look for another job!! Dont use the excuse that you can only choose from the original 32 elite players, it didn't stop you making half a dozen changes at the start of the Autumn Internationals
BillB
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

I'm surprised that people haven't realised MJ's master plan. He keeps picking Wasps players for all the internationals so that they are finally relegated. What a way to revenge himself for all those finals! Way to go, Johnno.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Ridiculous that some people are already pointing the finger at Johnson, too early and he must be given time to shape his own team.

Immediate changes in my opinion should be Borthwick out - he may be a reasonable captain but he doesn't merit a starting place at lock - end of story. John Wells as forwards coach didn't cut it during the Robinson reign...whatever he is asking the forwards to do, his message is either not getting across or he's asking them to give Care slow ball. Time for a change at forwards coach to compliment some reasonable back play in patches.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Give or take ht eodd injury he has the best 30 players availiable. They are mainly youung and need time to grow.

But sadly they need good coaching to do that.

Ford has again failed as a defence coach time to go. in 2003 we had the best defence in the world. Look how many tries we leaked last weekend more than in te whole of the 2003 WC.

Wells A true Leicester Legend but sadly stuck in a time warp! The game has moved on we need a modern forwarrs coach.

I would also like to bring in a real rugby brain to help Johno someone to bounce ideas off! I would go for Eddie Jones sheer class made a World Cup final with Australia despite no tight 5 and then helped SA win the WC.
pebble
Top Cat
Top Cat

As Post

Post by pebble »

Martin Johnson. He will make no friends with the media, his attitude is aggressive when being interviewed. Save your snarling for the under performing players. Maybe after seeing the poor winning performance against South Sea Islands and the two defeats after, the saying "Talk a good story" fits the profile of the England squad.
After every game we are entertained by players talking a good story. Shame it isn't transmitted to the field of play.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I feel sorry for Johnno, damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He starts with a mixture of experience and youngsters and it doesn't quite go to plan. If he makes changes he's panicking at the first sign of trouble. Keeps the same team and he's lacking in insight and imagination.

I think he'll let the team evolve whilst giving the players time to gel (if they can). As Johnno has said, its a long step up from the Prem to playing the best in the world in a strange team. We've seen the first steps of an inexperienced manager on a long road to the next world cup with a team that came back from tour with a scandal hanging over them.

England will lose against the ABs and then the management team have a chance to pick over what happened and decide where they go from there, but it won't be down the road of wholesale changes.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

I think MJ will be telling the players "dont worry about the press, it's my job to handle the pressure from them". and I think he will.

very much agree with the damned if he does damned if he doesnt comment.
At the end of the day we have just lost to 2 of the top 3 sides in the world and face the 3rd on saturday. Heck an experianced team would struggle to win those games.

all that being said however he does need to put one or two players up against the wall, by the throat, and growl at them until they lose a few pounds of brown sticky stuff.

Cips doesnt deserve his place, but even with Flood playing we would not have won the games. Flood is a b****dy good premiership 10, like cips though he doesnt have the experiance as an international 10.