Bath need rugby fans support - Please help

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rlinksteve
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Bath need rugby fans support - Please help

Post by Rlinksteve »

I have recieved this from Peter Downey. Moving away from the Rec is the last thing that fans want.
Can we lend our support to them?

I have registered with them :smt023

"Hi all

I have been frustrated by the lack of progress regarding the Redevelopment of the "REC" I raised the money for the "Teachers" Stand on the South end about 12 years ago since when the whole thing has stood still.

The local paper ran a Petition "Keep Rugby on the Rec" last year when it looked as though no development would be allowed to take place. Still nothing appears to have happened except that the club is threatening to move to Swindon next season if they are not allowed to keep their cuurent configuration, let alone any improvement.

I have tried to find out what has been going on by use of the 'Freedom of Information Act' This has produced much paper but little enlightenment, because I believe a single Punter has no 'Standing'

I plus a number of others have decided to set up a "Real Friends of the REC" to try to find out the actual position and then try to see that the Rec, with the Rugby Club being the main Tennant is developed to enable Events to take place in a venue worthy of a World Heritage City.

I would like to ask you not only to join, but find others as well.

Since starting out on Monday nearly 200 have been recruited. Our Website is now up and running .

www.realfriendsoftherec.co.uk through which the wider audience will be able to join.

Hope you think the issue is as important as I do. Please join and see if you can get others as well.

Regards
Peter Downey
+44 (0) 1225 835553"
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Done Steve, hope it helps.. :smt023
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Done Steve HTH
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

done it too, must say i really like the Rec as a stadium and Bath as a town so willing to help :smt023
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Done. Bath is one of the few real rugby towns - we should'nt lose it. Conversely, Swindon is a railway terminal.
Valhalla I am coming!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I am happy to associate myself with this endeavour.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Done it. Bath is one of the cities/grounds that I would love to go to to watch rugby but never have got round to it.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

Done it also

The Rec holds one of my favourite in the flesh rugby memories. a 40m interception try by Ben Kay. the look of sheer anic on his face when he was looking round for (unnessacary) support as he closed in on the line was fantasic.
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
Crumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crumby »

i'm in - where is swindon :smt017
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Crumby wrote:i'm in - where is swindon :smt017
Half way between Bristol and High Wycombe.

Funny that!!

:smt016
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

tom_s252 wrote:Done. Happy to support Bath, club and city :)
Now let's not get carried away.

Happy to help Bath improve their atrocious muddy ground and its pathetic facilities for fans.

But support the club?

<spit>

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

SORRY

Post by smalldell »

I hate to be kill joy but it is time to move on...

Facilities need to reflect the age we live in and if Rugby Union is to thrive and expand it needs to offer the very best facilities available to esure the game can be played and watched in the very best available.

The Rec may hold fond memories for many but it can not continue in the modern age...clubs - like Bath need to devleop their facilities so that the game can prosper. That is simply not possible in stadia that were suitable for a bygone amatuer period...

Bath, like many others, Gloucester and Worster for example, needs to provide the very best for its supporters if it is to prosper in the future. Talking about Worcester, there is an enormous amount of development going on their and it is to be applauded and mirrored.

Finally, if any club was promoted with the facilities they ad at Bath, it is highly likely they would not meet the criteria for entering the permiership. Why should Bath be permitted to stand still and cling on to an age that, while it has its place in people'e heart, needs to be laid respectfully to rest..

I am sorry if my comments upset anyone but I do earnestly believe the game as a whole needs to move forward in all aspects of its development.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Re: SORRY

Post by Bill W »

smalldell wrote:I hate to be kill joy but it is time to move on...

I do not disagree with many of your general statements.

Hoiwever, such facilities and developments will not be achieved by ground sharing with a second rate foorball club.

The fans voices were heard at Welford Road. Our own ground is being redeveloped. Similarly at Thomond Park. In Llanelli the opportinity became real to sell the old ground for property development and hence fund a new ground.

For whatever historical reasons and despite whatever historical mistakes Bath can no longer fund a "greenfields" site. Clearly then, the Trustees of the Rec and the Burghers of Bath need to work together to produce a solution that is good for the Club, for the City and for Rugby.

Not starting from where we are is not an available solution.

For these reasons I support the appeal.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I have no more sympathy for their cause than Moseley or Coventry.Bath when at the top of the amatuer game bent every rule in the book to stay there.If they didn't plan for the future then things will level themselves out one way or another.