First Match

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

reject

First Match

Post by reject »

I'm new to this forum, but not new to Leicester or to rugby union. I have watched games on TV and I have lived in Leicester(shire) since I have started university in 2002. For a plethora of reasons however, I have never watched a game at Welford Road. Largely this was down to me holding a season ticket at a team that plays a sport involving a round ball and some goalposts (but not the team that plays at a crisp bowl near to Welford Road).

On Friday though, I will be attending my first Tigers match. I have been to watch rugby before, but this was with a friend at a club that play somewhere down the M1 and are named after religious people. So, I am a passionate season ticket holding football fan whose only rugby experience is at Northampton Saints. This makes me a prime target for abuse, ambivalence, or just being labelled as a glory supporter. Anyhow, my fondness for rugby has grown recently, and although I'd never choose it over my first passion, I am really looking forward to Friday's game.

The purpose of writing this life story of a post is to get a flavour as to what the matchday experience at Tigers is? I guess that an EDF Cup match will be somewhat different to a Heineken Cup quarter final but nonetheless, I'd like some opinions, and even some experiences of your own first matches. I'm losing my Tigers virginity at the grand old age of 24, so if you see someone damn good looking smelling like a football fan, feel free to say hi. I'm going on my own, not because of the lack of friends, but because of the lack of rugby loving friends. So, if someone looks lost, alone and clueless, that'll be me.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

You will be made most welcome reject. I would not mention round balls or Sinners.

Just go with the flow and when the clap goes "Ta, ta, tatata" scream "Tigers" for all you are worth!!!

And whenever an opposition pass looks remotely flat scream "forward". At every opposition put in to the scrum shout "feeding"! And every time we get a penalty other than directly in front of the posts bellow "corner"! Unless it is with 10 yards of the line in which case you shout "scrum it"!

Enjoy the game!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
reject

Post by reject »

Thanks for the advice. I definitely will not be mentioning round balls or the other rugby team from the East Midlands. Part of my reason for liking rugby was the perceived atmosphere at matches. Every single week of my life (during the season anyway) I sit in a segregated area and it is positive to have a sport where people can enjoy the experience.
liz101

Post by liz101 »

reject, when i went to my first rugby match there were 2 things i was amazed at 1- all the supporters mingle, theres no home and away stands which i think is fab and 2 - you can have a beer (or two :smt023 ) while enjoying the game!! now you dont find that at a football match!
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

I think the first rule of being a Rugby Supporter is to support the game. So if the opponents show some skill show appreciation of it.

However, this should not stop you saying things like;

"good god Ref, how offside is that"
or
"linesman, are you watching the game?"
or
"its ok, Julian hasn't punched him yet......oh"
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Hi, enjoy the game reject! Are you sitting or are you on the terrace?

:smt023
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Go on the terrace and shout "holding on!" every now and again when the opposition have the ball and get tackled - you'll fit right in. And buy the cask Tiger from the Tiger Bar rather than the nitrokeg stuff elsewhere.
Frustrated player

Post by Frustrated player »

The terrace is the way forward. My wife is heavily pregnant and will not sit down no matter how much I ask.
Just remember reject you're always welcome just remember not to be too loud if you're in the A+L stand in case you wake people up.

:smt023
The terrace is not the place for the too easily offended.
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

Welford Rds charm and character hopefully will come across.

2 rules that will be different whilst supporting Leicester rather then the round ball are:

Dont talk during penalties or conversions or you will get told to sssshhhhhhh

And no swearing.

You can support both, my first love is my wife, my second the Tigers and my third is West Ham.

I am brassing for stick :smt009
Geordan Murphy for England
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

Be passionate but polite, partisan but friendly and always, always, lambast the referee for penalties given against your team.

Go find some opposition fans on the terrace, chat with them, laugh with them and when Tigers (hopefully) beat their team, shake them by the hand and wish them all the best for the future.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

westy154 wrote:Go find some opposition fans on the terrace, chat with them, laugh with them and when Tigers (hopefully) beat their team, shake them by the hand and wish them all the best for the future.
that about sums up a typical rugby game. EDF final day I went with a quins fan, my wife (who supports any welsh team) and a load of Tigers fans. We drank many pints of beer talking with Northampton, Exeter, Cornish Pirates and so many other fans I lost count. And the biggest arguement we had was over whose round it was.

enjoy your first game.........
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

reject - I'm sure you'll love it and the banter is good. My personal favourite is the shout of "how many times ref?" after the very first infringement by the opposition after the starting whistle. Great wit.
reject

Post by reject »

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to be standing on the terrace as I feel that this will provide the best atmosphere and give me an opportunity to talk to some fans. I'm going to get there early and soak up the atmosphere (and probably buy some Tigers related stuff). I just hope that the team can get the right result.
He fell beneath a Northern sky.
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

Another good one to throw in is 'That was high Ref' when the opposition tackle anyone.
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."