Johnno sends 8 home inc. Hipkiss, Chuter & Crane!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Johnno sends 8 home inc. Hipkiss, Chuter & Crane!

Post by adamv6 »

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 033508.ece
The eight, who despite being released remain on stand-by, in case of injuries during England training, are: Olly Barkley (Gloucester), George Chuter, Jordan Crane (both Leicester Tigers), Shane Geraghty (London Irish), Dan Hipkiss (Leicester Tigers), Lewsey, Tim Payne (both London Wasps), Pete Richards (London Irish), with the release of Lewsey but the retention of Nick Abendanon being perhaps the biggest surprise.
Absolutely gobsmacked at him sending Crane home.

The only possible explanation I have got is that he is thinking about Tigers more than England! :smt017
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Adamspoon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Adamspoon »

So Crane is the third choice number 8, behing Easter?! Why was Easter not chosen in the original 1st team squad then? Must have been due to his injury i suppose but Jordan must be gutted!

Good news for us though.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

is Easter enven in the squad?
tigergirl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by tigergirl »

This is really great news for us - I was seriously worried about the back row situation during the international period (even with the arrival of Newby and possible re-emergence of Moody) I'm still amazed though that Crane isn't at least no 2 as he's been playing out of his skin for us and now that he's learnt to offload he looks the complete package. Sad for him; happy for us! He'll have his day.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I'm not a big fan of Easter, but Will Greenwood couldn't understand why he wasn't in the original squad, saying that Easter was "on fire". Crane's time will come....I would rest him for the Sale game and have him fully charged ready for the GP games.
colincat
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by colincat »

bbc reports that all eight have to return to the training camp on sunday.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I would not read too much into it, probably not in the first match 22 but still under consideration for later matches.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Could it be a Crane, Moody and Newby back row on Friday?
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

i think this is the squad for the first AI against the pacific islanders Sure sign that he is looking to start withe the 8 9 axis of Easter and care for the first game. part of Jordans problem may be that he really is an out and out 8 although he did play 6 in the churchill cup so if they are starting with easter they need more versatility on the bench
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Hard to believe that Sequins' fat bloke got the nod over Jordan, but - hey - I'm not complaining.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

For me Leicester are more important then England this year, I want silverware and to be honest I think we would have found it tough without Hipkiss, Crane & Chuter. I am delighted that Jonno send them back (not for the boys obviously), well done MJ clearly still thinking off Tigers first.
Geordan Murphy for England
The Cat

Post by The Cat »

How Easter and Narroway can be considered ahead of Jordan is unbelievable .
Lancastrian by birth, a Sandgrounder by the grace of God
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

The Cat wrote:How Easter and Narroway can be considered ahead of Jordan is unbelievable .
Well, in club matches Jordan has been great but is arguably overused as a "bosh" 8. Even with Jordan's dynamic performance for the Saxons last season, Narraway is, in most peoples' eyes, the more nimble 8.

Easter brings the bosh game which Jordan has been demonstrating. Whilst he has been injured, he is a fair bit more experienced so I guess they've chosen him for that extra something. Both have good hands and a good offloading game so I guess it really does come down to number of caps. Some will argue that Easter has a bit more bosh than Jordan as well...
The Cat

Post by The Cat »

masopa wrote:
The Cat wrote:How Easter and Narroway can be considered ahead of Jordan is unbelievable .
Well, in club matches Jordan has been great but is arguably overused as a "bosh" 8. Even with Jordan's dynamic performance for the Saxons last season, Narraway is, in most peoples' eyes, the more nimble 8.

Easter brings the bosh game which Jordan has been demonstrating. Whilst he has been injured, he is a fair bit more experienced so I guess they've chosen him for that extra something. Both have good hands and a good offloading game so I guess it really does come down to number of caps. Some will argue that Easter has a bit more bosh than Jordan as well...
Easter and Narroway do have more experience .........more experience of losing England matches .
I'd prefer winners in my side ; U19 Grand Slam winning captain , U21 Grand Slam winner , 2 times Churchill Cup winner including a player of the tournament .
Plus in my opinion Jordan has been more impressive over the last 18 months of club games .
Borthwick as captain , Easter at no 8 , etc just strike me as safe , conservative choices , tinged with the old losing regime .
Lancastrian by birth, a Sandgrounder by the grace of God
Pinot Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pinot Tiger »

I can't see what all the fuss is about Narraway. I got fed up with him In NZ running sideways gaining 20 yards left but a yard forward! Jordi is far more dynamic, not quicker maybe, but more direct. Easter has great days for sure, but also some quiet ones, but his off loading game is better than Jordi's - just. I feel for JC as he is undoubtedly the form 8 of the season and given the runners with him can cause havoc like he did in the Churchill.

His is definitely the cruellest cut of all the 8. And I'm afraid with Danny Boy coming home too, I see a starting spot for Noon - again! Help! :smt022
To Toulouse and beyond...