Croft 7; Corry 6

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Outlander
Silver Member
Silver Member

Croft 7; Corry 6

Post by Outlander »

Hmmm. I see that, due to injury, Croft is at 7 this week.

Now, I have always seen the conventional wisdom being that Croft is much better at 6. But then, Neil Back appears to think he can be a 7.

At the same time, Corry is at 6. I believe he played 6 for ENG a couple years ago? But he has apparently slowed down.

Anyway, I am wondering what you folks think. It clearly reflects injury problems, but can it work?
Just a Yankee looker-on from afar.
down the brickies
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by down the brickies »

I would have thought this game would have been an excellent opportunity to give Crane a much needed rest and play Cozza at 8 and Deacon at 6.

And why is Hougard not starting? Thought it would be a perfect oppotunity to showcase his talents?

Glad to see Rabeni back though. Hope he gets a good runout in the second half :smt023
Form is temporary - Class is eternal
Frustrated player

Post by Frustrated player »

I can only think HM is still looking to what he can do with the squad, as for Hougaard/Flood, Flood needs to continue his rich vein to be selected for England, may be a reason?!
The terrace is not the place for the too easily offended.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Corry 6, Croft 7

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Meyer is picking what he considers his strongest side. As he said if you win every game and therefore your group you qualify irrespective of bonus points.

Also another win keeps up the away record thus destroying any away hoodoo, instills winning mentality which rubs off on the squad players and younger lads when they play in EDF or GP.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

This is a side (and a squad) that means business.

Croft has to move to 7. Whether Corry or Wentzel plays 6 is something you could debate, but both are in and the team looks good, the complete absence of a genuine openside flanker notwithstanding.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I like the look of this team , clear intention as others have said, to put out a strong team and a strong message to others.Not seen their team list yet though.
Tiggers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tiggers »

I have confidence in HM that he knows whats best :smt001
Normally I would prefer to see Croft at 6, but there is obviously a reason (injury) or tactically they may feel that it will work for them, don't really see how but maybe.
:smt017 we will just have to see tomorrow, and pray for a win :smt001
:)
Gizmo
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Gizmo »

Treviso team:

15 Brendan Williams;
14 Andrew Vilk,
13 Benjamin De Jager,
12 Fraser Waters,
11 Marius Goosen;
10 Andrea Marcato,
9 Simon Picone;
8 Dion KIngi,
7 Hottie Louw,
6 Silvio Orlando;
5 Corniel Van Zyl,
4 Antonio Pavanello;
3 Salvatore Costanzo,
2 Franco Sbaraglini,
1 Augusto Allori.

A disposizione: 16 Diego Vidal, 17 Andrea Ceccato, 18 Roderick Labuschagne, 19 Enrico Pavanello, 20 Mark Gilbride, 21 Emiliano Mulieri, 22 Tobias Botes.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Not ideal having Croft at 7 but not really any choice as he's the best option not injured. As for Corry at 6 then yes he has played there but I think his best position is still 8.

As one of the earlier posters said, this would have been a good game to start Deacon at 6 and move either Corry or Crane to the bench.
Glan
Tiger Cub

Post by Glan »

i agree with the team 100% even with the wings same as last week,

flood over hougard - i believe our back moves with flood controling the game over the tactical game kicking,

croft has to start because he is forced,

no need to rest as this is a big comp and no easy games,

so put the full team out and go for the bonus point fly half rather than the 80% kicker who is needed for the closer knockout games.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Glan wrote: so put the full team out and go for the bonus point fly half rather than the 80% kicker who is needed for the closer knockout games.
Like it,like it
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Picking Flood over Hougaard is definitely a clear indication that we're going to be playing a running game. Quite right too - we need to win, but also to get the 4 tries and a bonus point. I think we have more chance of doing that with Flood in the team than with Hougaard, given he's more of a kicking fly-half.
Blimey...
Adamspoon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Adamspoon »

I like the team, and I like the fact that Meyer is clearly trying to introduce some continuity to the team selection. If you think back to previous couple of seasons we rarely saw the same back line or the same pack playing consecutive games, and i don't think they got a chance to gel properly.
Frustrated player

Post by Frustrated player »

We also have a smaller squad than the last couple of seasons but continuity has got to be good for the team.[/quote]
The terrace is not the place for the too easily offended.