We need to score more trys!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Matt 'tiger' Joyce

We need to score more trys!

Post by Matt 'tiger' Joyce »

Bath are annoying me now. They are only top of the table because they are scoring trys! We are not! If Varndell would sort his tackling out, we would have a better chance of taking apart the ospreys! :smt013
Mgojoycego
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Well we're not doing too badly in second place and I reckon most clubs would say they need to score more trys! :smt001
Matt 'tiger' Joyce

I know it's harsh to crittisise on a rugby team thats world class and second in the table, but we should be doing better than that.
Mgojoycego
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Why?
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Ben the Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Ben the Tiger »

Not at the weekend we don't. We need to play it safe and win the game then score trys like Munster did against us 2 years ago.
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.

"Rugby is a hooligans game played by gentlemen." Winston Churchill
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

When we start to pass the ball, the recipient is nearly always not only stationary, but is actually slightly back on his heels.

Hence he is an absolute sitting duck for a big hit, so he ships the ball on to someone else who is also stationary, and so it goes.

We never even look like making any yards, let alone going over for a try.

I don't mind "winning ugly", but we sure are riding our luck at the moment, and need to work out how to capitalise on the large amounts of possession and territory we've been getting.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

Kinoulton wrote:When we start to pass the ball, the recipient is nearly always not only stationary, but is actually slightly back on his heels.

Hence he is an absolute sitting duck for a big hit, so he ships the ball on to someone else who is also stationary, and so it goes.

We never even look like making any yards, let alone going over for a try.

I don't mind "winning ugly", but we sure are riding our luck at the moment, and need to work out how to capitalise on the large amounts of possession and territory we've been getting.
I absolutely agree 100% with this Kinoulton, we're mostly (not always) crabbing across the pitch and not making yards over the gain line, we're not going forward and this is why we're not scoring the number of tries we wish to. I agree our luck will run out again as with Wasps. We need to be clinical in taking teams apart. We have it in the squad, it needs to come out now we've had the bedding in period.

I watched the Quins game at Worcester and their style of running, over the gain line, off-loading rugby is having results as far as tries are concerned, same with Irish. If we can get some of this type of game play into our game we'll be riding high. There were glimpses of it last Friday against Saints and some interesting lines were being cut in the second half, but it's all about consistency.

So in my opinion we do need to score more tries and get more bonus points, 'cus if we don't we'll get left behind even when we do win as teams rack up those bonuses. It also makes a cracking game of rugby to watch.
Matt 'tiger' Joyce

Stop waffling boy! Get some NUTS! :smt011 Ah No...
Mgojoycego
TomMalloy

Post by TomMalloy »

I agree that we need to score more trys because trys win games. Teams like Irish and Quins are not having trouble. :smt017
Once a tiger, always a tiger.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Matt 'tiger' Joyce wrote:Stop waffling boy! Get some NUTS! :smt011 Ah No...
For the benefit of all, could you either quote the post to which you are referring, or address the poster by name perhaps? The above post makes little or no sense otherwise.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Rizzo wrote:
Matt 'tiger' Joyce wrote:Stop waffling boy! Get some NUTS! :smt011 Ah No...
For the benefit of all, could you either quote the post to which you are referring, or address the poster by name perhaps? The above post makes little or no sense otherwise.
Much like Matt Joyce's original post, some might argue...

The problem with Tom Varndell has certainly not been his tackling - it has been either the lack of service to him or his lack of looking for the ball, depending on which camp you're in.

There's been very little wrong with Tom's tackling this season, his try-saving effort under the posts against Gloucester being one example.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

Glad you posted that, maskedsquid - I was thinking the same thing!

I reckon TV's defence has been the best bit of his game this season (perhaps the only??)
Matt 'tiger' Joyce

Varndell is a top class player, but he should use all that speed to sprint after the balls put through. If someone on the team would hoof the ball to the corner, we would have more trys! Going back to what i first said. :smt012
Mgojoycego
unohoo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by unohoo »

Or the opposition would have more ball to run at is. People complain about kicking the ball away, now you are complaining when we don't!