Tigers Team for tomorrow

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Tigers Team for tomorrow

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Leicester Tigers (v Northampton Saints, Welford Road, Wednesday 7.45pm)
15 Geordan Murphy
14 Johne Murphy
13 Dan Hipkiss
12 Aaron Mauger
11 Matt Smith
10 Toby Flood
9 Harry Ellis
1 Boris Stankovich
2 Benjamin Kayser
3 Julian White
4 Martin Corry (c)
5 Marco Wentzel
6 Tom Croft
7 Ben Herring
8 Jordan Crane

Replacements
16 George Chuter
17 Marcos Ayerza
18 Ben Kay
19 Ben Woods
20 Julien Dupuy
21 Tom Youngs
22 Tom Varndell

Opinions please. Have we got the right side out to inflict some serious damage on the Saints? I hope so.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

Good news about Ellis' knee, as one would assume after all the stuff about it flaring up, it's calmed down again to allow him to start.
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

Not at all sure about Matt Smith in place of Varndell. Is this because we have to rest Varndell for the england camp and he's there as a 'just in case'.

I hope Corry has got rid of all his knock-ons and silly penalties. Glad Harry is back, hope he's full fit. Dare I say it, glad Hipkiss is back at 13 (Smith never cut it at all).

All in all a decent team with a good bench that's gonna have to step up to the mark and perform at 100% to beat an on-the-roll Saints team.
billybudd
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by billybudd »

What is going on with Smith? His performance at Worcester was criminal, he is so far out of his depth. What has Erinle got to do to get a run of games under his belt? I for one have some serious questions about this new coach. Nothing I have seen this year, looks any better or different to the dross we got last season, with Cockers/Back and or Loffreda in charge. The whole performane at Worcs really was awful, I missed the Friday game on Holiday, were we any better?
Swiggles
Tiger Cub

Post by Swiggles »

in the words of a wise man "don't worry be happy"

I don't see why some of the leicester fans are worrying about this season heck Ulster haven't won one game this season and we got absolutely destroyed by Ospreys at the weekend but most of our fans are more upbeat
What is the difference between a teaspoon and Man U?

The teaspoon stays in the cup longer
TonyDSD

Post by TonyDSD »

Matt Smith... Why is he still on the pitch? His performance thus far has not been first team standard, rather Tigers A Team. We have Varndell who needs to find his feet first! He needs to start and find the try line before he should be rested. Saints are very tough now, we need all the talent we can use against them.

I assume Kay and Ayerza are being rested. They are quality players and are needed for the Bath team.

Northampton won't go into this game expecting to lose, they are going to follow in the steps of Wasps, and its our job to block that path now and always.

COME ON TIGERS!
Remember to participate in the premiership by going to www.guinnesspremiershipfantasyrugby.com and make your own team. Mine is "The Black Stormers". Join my league "The Strongbow League" today!
hoopius froodicus

Post by hoopius froodicus »

IMO we were worse than at Wuss. Erinle should be in, he gives more options than Hipkiss, whose one trick of standing up in the tackle to allow the forwards to maul, is kind of worthless now with the ELVs
I know towels are too small to be togas
Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Billb »

The team looks good again, but why is Varndell on the bench? Smith has not shown any form, yet is preferred to an outstanding winger.

The forward rotation is probably necessary given the short respite since Friday's game ( even though they we only in a contest for an hour or so).

The team is less important than the tactics they decide to use. Lets hope they forget the high ball, and run the ball at the Saints, using width and speed to release the wingers. Erinle needs game time if we expect him to perform during the Autumn internationals.
BillB
ombacrugby

ouch

Post by ombacrugby »

That's absolutely terrible. I'm heartbroken Varndell didn't get the start. Not at all for the reason you would think. I kept him on my fantasy team for this round and have already made my 2 trades. :censored:! Regardless I'm glad he is in reserve. I know he will most likely step on the pitch at some time during the match.

That reason aside I'm exctatic about the choice. Hipkiss next to Mauger will most likely play out well.
The Murphy brother combination is absolutely sublime and I hope they keep it that way for some time. You can't buy that kind of chemistry. Another beautiful match on the way it looks, with the Triangle of death in Herring, Croft and Crane. These guys are my heroes, and in my opinion the best back row in the game. The speed and power of croft, the mind "bottling" ferocity of Herring and Crane. Oh yes big mama we are in for a thrashing good time at Welford Road. We had better start repenting right now because the Lord is gonna be a' frownin' tomorrow night when we maul their' Saintly pack and shred them into tiny ribbons of lacerated Northampton flesh. I can't wait! That's my 2 cents from out here in California.

Cheers!

Graham R. Worthington
Geronimo!
saintsheart

Post by saintsheart »

Flood vs Spencer!!

Intresting...

could be a VERY good match!!

:smt003
Saints girl..Come on you Saints!!
saintsheart

Post by saintsheart »

saints team!!

15 Stephen Myler
14 Chris Ashton
13 Joe Ansbro
12 Chris Mayor
11 Bruce Reihana (capt)
10 Carlos Spencer
9 Ben Foden
1 Tom Smith
2 Dylan Hartley
3 Euan Murray
4 Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe
5 Christian Day
6 Mark Hopley
7 Scott Gray
8 Roger Wilson

Replacements
16 Paul Shields
17 Soane Tonga’uiha
18 Alex Rae
19 Ben Lewitt
20 Lee Dickson
21 Nils Mordt
22 Sean Lamont
Saints girl..Come on you Saints!!
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

The lineouts will be critical for the forwards. With White refereeing anything more than 'hold your own' in the scrums will be a waste of effort as we saw against Irish.

I'm hanging on to the belief that Mauger is better than he looks and that it's just a matter of the penny dropping with the other backs and we'll be off. At the moment though I dream of them stringing more than 2 passes together before hoofing it to the opposition full back or winger playing deep.

It doesn't matter who you play on the wing, they ain't gonna see the ball close up. Might as well name extra centres there so we've got more options to bosh it up the middle.

More than surprised to Harry back, I just hope and pray it's not some heroic gesture on his part to keep his place.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Fat Prop.

Post by Fat Prop. »

I would have liked to have seen Erinle at 13 not 1 move Hipkiss :smt013 and Varndell on the wing, I know we have to give the young blood a go but not in this derby game. :smt005 hopefully Cozza will play better and be worth his place in the team.and the whole team cut out the silly penalties. :smt023
GS
Super User
Super User

Re: ouch

Post by GS »

ombacrugby wrote:That's absolutely terrible. I'm heartbroken Varndell didn't get the start. Not at all for the reason you would think. I kept him on my fantasy team for this round and have already made my 2 trades. :censored:! Regardless I'm glad he is in reserve. I know he will most likely step on the pitch at some time during the match.

That reason aside I'm exctatic about the choice. Hipkiss next to Mauger will most likely play out well.
The Murphy brother combination is absolutely sublime and I hope they keep it that way for some time. You can't buy that kind of chemistry. Another beautiful match on the way it looks, with the Triangle of death in Herring, Croft and Crane. These guys are my heroes, and in my opinion the best back row in the game. The speed and power of croft, the mind "bottling" ferocity of Herring and Crane. Oh yes big mama we are in for a thrashing good time at Welford Road. We had better start repenting right now because the Lord is gonna be a' frownin' tomorrow night when we maul their' Saintly pack and shred them into tiny ribbons of lacerated Northampton flesh. I can't wait! That's my 2 cents from out here in California.

Cheers!

Graham R. Worthington
Can I have some of what you're on please? :smt030 :smt119 :smt023

BTW the Murphy's aren't related, there's just rather a lot of them in Ireland. And a few over here.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Are we taking the edf seriously? I'm assuming that most of this teams bench will start on Saturday then.
I'm thinking we had a plan that if we signed Erinle from the pests,he'd stop scoring against us and we'd win,well that worked then!
Surely he'll get a start on Saturday along with Hurrell.