Can Tigers hold it together to beat Saints???

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MillyW

Can Tigers hold it together to beat Saints???

Post by MillyW »

After Friday's game can tigers pull it together to make a more positive appearance. :smt102 Hopefully Tigers will not disappoint.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Welcome to the forum MillyW. Hopefully it can't get much worse, so the answer is yes. :smt023

However, am I convinced about this? No. :smt022
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think we'll win.

But so far we've had a rather dull home win and a terrible home defeat.

Can we have a GOOD win, do you think? Or have the ELVs condemned us to another war of attrition?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
MillyW

Post by MillyW »

Put it this way we need a convincing win. I think the new EVLs are a wind up because teams like Wasps can get away with it, so everyone gets annoyed and starts fighting!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Kinoulton wrote:I think we'll win.

But so far we've had a rather dull home win and a terrible home defeat.

Can we have a GOOD win, do you think? Or have the ELVs condemned us to another war of attrition?
The ELVs have had nothing to do with the way the Tigers have played so far this season. The laws of play at the breakdown (not in the ELVs) are being rightfully enforced and the players on all GP teams are having great difficulty in staying on their feet as they have been allowed to drive n' dive over to kill the ball in the past . A fine 'Backy' type ploy so well executed by the man himself.

The Saint's handled the Sarries very well until (in front on points so I read) the 66 minute until Hartley and another forward got put in the bin for killing the ball. Only then did Penny etc gain the upper hand and put away 13 Saints. The Saints were better at the breakdown and recycle of the ball by all accounts (see the SAints /Wasps game) something that the Tigers can't do at the moment. So if everything stays the same over the next few days then I can realistically see the Saints turning the Tigers over and denying the Tigers a losing bonus point just like the Pests did.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Can tigers beat Saints?

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Yes, if they achieve the following:

1.Forget carping on about ELV's - other teams are scoring tries e.g. Harlequins, Irish, Saracens and Bath. From this morning's press reports they seem to be getting the ball wide to either score or set up tries.

2. Have a much greater desire to win than they showed on Friday night. They didn;t look interested in the 2nd half. Certainly less detrmined than Wasps. A Welford Road crowd expects passion and commitment from the players and there didn't seem to be much on Friday.

3. Cut out the indiscipline so the opposition doesn't get cheap points via penalties. It shouldn't take more than a couple of breakdowns to work out how the ref is interpreting the laws governing the tackle area and adapt. And if we are not sure then the captain is allowed to politely enquire of the referee why a penalty was awarded and communicate that to the team. If the players then take no notice then Tigers only have themselves to blame and it becomes an issue for the coaching staff to sort out.

4. Abandon the woefully boring and non-productive kick everything approach that seemed to prevail on Friday or if we must use it mix it up with a plan b. The amount of ball kicked away on Friday was criminal. Especially with a backline featuring the likes of Geordan Murphy (best fullback in world Rugby) and Tom Varndell (highest try scorer in GP last season)and a backrow with the carrying and offloading skills of Croft, Herring and Crane. We have all the talent necessary to produce the type of forwards and backs interplay game that the ELV's seem to require. We saw it pre-season where is it now?

5. Get our centres to understand the concept of moving the ball wide and recognising overlaps. During the Worcester game there were a couple of 2 on 1's and a 3 on 1 missed by Matt Smith.

To end on a positive note our scrums and lineouts have looked very good so far so more of the same and more proudctive use of the ball we win from them please.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
MillyW

Post by MillyW »

Tigers need to get back to there old selves and start working more as a team (varndell bearly touched the ball last game). Saints have a lot of new and good players so they are stronger than when we played them last(they still won anyway) so we have to come out confident and in control.