Open letter to HHJ Jeff Blackett

Post by Bill W »

HHJ J Blackett
RFU
Rugby House
Rugby Road
Twickenham
TW1 1DS

In the course of the match between London Irish and Leicester Tigers on Saturday 13th September there was a very clear red card offence committed by Delon Armitage on Tom Varndell. “Contact with the eyes or eye area.” This, although apparently unseen by the referee (Chris White), or by the assistant referees was graphically captured on film by Paul Harding and published in “The Sunday Times”.

<here appeared the photo>

It would appear that the citing officer has also not noticed this incident since no notice of a citing has been mentioned on any website.
Why?
Yours sincerely
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

Bill W..has this just been posted on this forum or have you sent theletter and also posted on the RFU forum?

I agree with the view - Rabeni got 12 weeks for the same offence. Yet again, it appears that Tigers are singled out.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

The letter has been sent by snail mail.

With "Dear Jeff", and "Bill" added in handwriting.

It was headed by by Home Address and followed with my 'phone numbers and e-mail address
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Not sure it's appropriate to address an HHJ as Dear Jeff, not if you want a decent response that is. Doubt he will take an interest anyway unless it appears in the appropriate media.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Since the Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons writes to me as "Dear Bill" then if some minor judge objects to me calling him by his forename - so be it!

It has already appeared in THe Times. You want me to get it in The Telegraph as well?

So be it. I will (if necessary) copy it to the editors of both papers.

Not sure HHJ J will thank you for that though gkb. Better, I think to give him the opportunity to put his house in order.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Iain D »

Bill, have you found the image online anywhere? If it's the same image as posted on Getty Images (#82801957) then I personally think that its a little bit of an over-reaction (despite what happened to Seru last year).
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Looking forward to seeing the response.
The awareness of the referee and touch judges was poor on Saturday.
:smt024
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

the picture has been excluded from the Times on line website. I have included it (from a scan of the original) in my letter to HHJ.

If you PM me your email address I will forward it to you.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Tigerbeat requested a copy. I have sent him one and he has acknowledged receipt. He might care to comment?

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The picture does give a very clear indication that Armitages hand is very close to the area of Toms left eye and the first finger is bent. It appears that it is making contact with the eye.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

And it is in his full vision. Abd with malice aforethought

Case rests Milud.

Minimum 24 weeks maximum 156

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Yes BW but politicians are low life creeps that need your vote from time to time.

Not bothered whether HHJ thanks me or not but I think you need to get it on national TV prime time to get something done about this.

Good luck.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Having looked at Getty Images 82801957 I can't see what the fuss is about he might be tickling his ear but how you get eye I'm not sure. Does Varndell claim he was injured in this tackle, don't forget it is a contact sport , I agree the eyes should be protected but this looks ok.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

As I have pointed out before, the picture that was published in The Sunday Times is not available on the web either on The Times Web site or at Getty Images. I repeat if you e-mail PM me your e-mail address I will send you it. Tigerbeat did and his comments are above.

Armitages hooked forefinger is in Toms eye.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Nic

Post by Nic »

Having looked at Getty Images 82801957 I can't see what the fuss is about he might be tickling his ear but how you get eye I'm not sure. Does Varndell claim he was injured in this tackle, don't forget it is a contact sport , I agree the eyes should be protected but this looks ok.